WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Interesting design and case. I like the blue dial version.

Did anyone ordered one or considering it?
I am thinking about getting one.
Is it worth it for the price?

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/the-arrow-of-time-introducing-the-ophion-oph-786-velos/
It's not my style, but I like it nonetheless! Will be interesting to see the textured dials in actual photos.

With that in-house, double barrel, 5 days PR movement, the price is definitely fair! It's very special and I love the hammered surfaces.

Disc brake Vehicle brake Font Auto part Animation

·
Moderator Emeritus
55,395 Posts
Movement architecture isn‘t my cup of tea. Not very attractive visually. So I’d pass on this one.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I have the previous version 786 and am considering selling it to finance this one. That said, the one I have is a great watch - lots of neat details, the movement (which I happen to like the look of, contrary to our esteemed Mike's opinion) is solid and unique, keeps excellent time...

·
Premium Member
38,791 Posts
Not bad, not great either. Think I would keep shopping, IMHO.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Movement architecture isn‘t my cup of tea. Not very attractive visually. So I’d pass on this one.
Agree. Stays a little bit in contrast to the overall eatch design...

I have the previous version 786 and am considering selling it to finance this one. That said, the one I have is a great watch - lots of neat details, the movement (which I happen to like the look of, contrary to our esteemed Mike's opinion) is solid and unique, keeps excellent time...
I am wondering how the resell value of the Ophion watches is.
Thats also one of my considerations.

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
The movement is interesting but the dial looks like Babys First Microbrand Dial. The write-up suggests art deco inspired, but it just isn't - trust me I have about 30 of those.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The movement is interesting but the dial looks like Babys First Microbrand Dial. The write-up suggests art deco inspired, but it just isn't - trust me I have about 30 of those.
Could you elaborate?
I am interested in watch design and Art Deco.
Could you show photos of your art deco watches? (If its too much of an offtop, in a pm)
I am looking for an Art Deco inspired watch for a while.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm also very interested in this watch, but so far I'm waiting for real life photos and videos of the end product. Can't really judge a watch on renders...

Love the movement too. Looks good, modern without looking industrial in the same way most modern movements do.

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts
I wouldn't judge a Guilloche dial on the basis of a render. This is a real life photo of the dial of the previous generation 786.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think it's attractive, but in that price range I'd much rather buy something from an established brand that will hold its value better.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think it's attractive, but in that price range I'd much rather buy something from an established brand that will hold its value better.
I totally get wanting to buy from an established brand for many many reasons, but no dress watch holds its value in this market. And if an established brand made this it would cost so much more it hurts.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I wont go for it in the end.
I do lowe the case and dial, but the form of the hands and the metalic numerals are kind of a deal breaker for me.

I aslo think a small second hand would suit the overall design more.
But too bad there are no photos of a real model, maybe they would change my mind.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I do lowe the case and dial, but the form of the hands and the metalic numerals are kind of a deal breaker for me.

But too bad there are no photos of a real model, maybe they would change my mind.
Could go for the "normal" ophion 786 if you like the hands and Roman numerals better.

If you want small seconds and guilloche you could go for something like a hand finished Laine too. A much higher price range, but not as high as mainstream brands would be.
Watch Cobalt blue Blue Watch accessory Strap Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

For small seconds but no guilloche one could go D. Dornblüth & Sohn as well, for not too much above the ophion velos. Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery Watch Auto part Pocket watch

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts

The hands are quite bold and distinctive, but I think that like in most things, the quality of execution will be a determining factor. As for the numerals, applied Breguet numerals aren't uncommon in dressier watches, for example, the Patek Calatrava 5196P.

If I didn't already have a Ming 17.06 on order, I would seriously consider the Ophion 786 Velos with the blue guilloche dial.

·
Premium Member
23,122 Posts
1 - 20 of 100 Posts