WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am totally new to this forum, but as I am about to purchase my first 'real' watch I thought it might be the time to do my first post. I've been researching heaps of different watches (and threads in this forum) in the last couple of months and been trying out everything from Longines, Baume & Mercier and Maurice Lacroix to Tag Heuer, Omega and Rolex. Now my decision making has come down to either the Tag Heuer Carrera and Omega Speedmaster Professional. So my question is: What is your experience and thoughts on these two models? I like the style and white dial on the Carrera, but on the other hand I love the history and simplicity of the Speedmaster.

IMG_1392.jpg IMG_1393.jpg IMG_1410.jpg IMG_1413-1.jpg

Will the white dial annoy me in the summertime with direct sun? And is it frustrating to have to manually wind the Speedy every day?

I hope you can help, as my wallet can only afford one of them :-D

Best,
Mads

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi all,

..... I like the style and white dial on the Carrera, but on the other hand I love the history and simplicity of the Speedmaster.

Will the white dial annoy me in the summertime with direct sun? And is it frustrating to have to manually wind the Speedy every day?

I hope you can help, as my wallet can only afford one of them :-D

Best,
Mads
I know I'm very biased towards one of these watches, as the Speedy is my Grail watch. That said, I just wanted to say to not let the manual wind of the Speedy to be a barrier to buying it. As I've said in other posts, I really like the time I spend winding my watches. I have two watches in my collection that are manual wind, and I enjoy taking the time every morning to pick them up, look at them, and wind them. The interaction brings you closer to each piece. It reinforces that mechanical watches run on the power of you. I also like knowing that a watch has a full power reserve at the start of every morning, and even if I don't wear the watch that day, it will still be running if I decide to wear it tomorrow.

WindingHamilton.jpg
Me and my Hamilton Manual Wind

·
Registered
731 Posts
Oh no, not again..................... The Speedy is regarded @ WUS as THE chrono to have, TAG is just a brand who spends to much on marketing and hollywood stars wearing them, this match is decide within the first minute of the first round on TKO!

On a serious note; I dont like the legibility of the TAG at all, I don't get watches with white dials and silver markings. Therefore the Speedy Pro gets my vote. Not that I'm a huge fan of it, but it still gets my vote against the TAG.

Reactions: JPfeuffer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Pharminator. I guess a lot of the charm in the Speedie is the manual winding - I'm sure I would grow to enjoy the small one-on-one session with it everyday.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The speedy all the way!!! Looks loads better and has a richer story behind it

·
Registered
84 Posts
I hate to be that guy, but every thread has to have one: Get the one that YOU like.

The Speedmaster is an iconic watch with a tremendous history and following; I don't think many people would complain about the manual winding. Tag has more of a controversial reputation on these forums, although, the Carrera is generally well regarded. Unless you're shining the reflection in your own eyes, I've never thought about white dials in the sun.

I'd say try them on again, look at yourself in a full length mirror, and pick whichever watch speaks to you. It seems like you're leaning toward the look and feel of the Tag, go for it! Just come back when you're done and post pics!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are absolutely right Savka. Normally I'm a pretty decisive guy, but this type of decision get me on my knees. Have tried them both on several times, and they both appeal to me and the fit is great on both.

·
Premium Member
7,853 Posts
The Tag is nice. I like it better with the light dial than I do the black. But personally, I do much prefer the Speedy. A great all around watch. It's my only manual winder, and I like winding it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The Tag is quite a nice watch... The Omega is legend, in, lets say ten years, the Tag will be forgoten while TVE Speedy remains an untouched legend.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
You are absolutely right Savka. Normally I'm a pretty decisive guy, but this type of decision get me on my knees. Have tried them both on several times, and they both appeal to me and the fit is great on both.
In that case... Speedy! Not only will it stand the test of time in terms of history, resale value, and aesthetics, it looks better on your wrist from the pics you posted (IMHO), and goes well with just about any strap for any occasion.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Only on forums do people refer to the Speedmaster Professional as a cartoon character. Aside from the obvious history of the design of the Speedmaster, it is an incredibly legible watch. Don't know your age or your vision but unless you are like some of the people here flipping watches all the time, you'll own a nice watch for years. I've owned my own Speedmaster for about 10 years now and winding it is part of the fun of it. I also get a little fanatical about the crystal getting scuffed so I polish it (toothpaste and cotton ball) as often as needed.

Ultimately, it's only you that will pay for the watch and wear it so in spite of any comments, pro or con, on either model, buy the one that truly speaks to you, not the hype about history or who's wearing what in the world of celebrity.

But please, if you buy the Omega, don't refer to it as a Speedy! ;)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'm gonna place my vote for the 1887 Carrera. The step up in build quality over what was already a nice chrono is fantastic. The new Carreras are fantastic and have a more modern feel than the Speedy.

I know I'm the odd man out here, but I'd pick the Carrera.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would also pick the Carrera, which I have proven by already having bought it (albeit the black one). I agree with bamagrad03 that it has a much more modern look then the Speedy, which I have always seen as a watch with a bit of a dated design. However, since tastes differ, it doesnt really matter what people on the forum prefer. Just get whichever you prefer, I doubt you could go wrong with this choice. And maybe try that trick of flipping a coin, and see whichever side you are hoping for while its in the air.

·
Premium Member
66,411 Posts
I wore a white dialled Rolex for 20 years so I doubt that the TAG will give you any problems reading it in sunlight. I'm just not feeling it for the TAG but the Speedy on the other hand!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The TAG is nice, but some of their designs seem to age very rapidly. If you love it and will never sell, it doesn't make a difference, but if you might want to "upgrade" down the road, it is something to consider.

The Omega is an iconic design that looks as good today as it did when it first released a half a century ago. That said, there are tons of them out there and so many companies have copied the design. Is being unique worth something to you?

My vote is for this instead :) Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue - Official Tudor Website

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Omega is an iconic design that looks as good today as it did when it first released a half a century ago. That said, there are tons of them out there and so many companies have copied the design. Is being unique worth something to you?

My vote is for this instead :) Tudor Heritage Chrono Blue - Official Tudor Website
Thanks, great suggestion and I have definitely looked at Tudor. I prefer to start of with one of the 'original' designs and then expand my collection from there :)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

My guess would be that you will get very few to no votes for the carrera. The speedy pro is a darling around here. It deserves its reputation too. I absolutely love everything about mine.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 63 Posts