WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I would like to get your opinion on Dreyfuss Co DGS00033/16 Men's Dreyfuss & Co 1953 Chronograph Watch (DGS00033/16) - WATCH SHOP.com™
Now it's only 225 pounds (55% save). Sounds like a very good offer. Have you tried any of Dreifuss? Can I trust it? Is it worth such money?

I also interested in Calvin Klein K0K27161 Men's Calvin Klein Strive Chronograph Watch (K0K27161) - WATCH SHOP.com™
what about this one?

my third option is Zeppelin LZ 127 Transatlantic 76964 Men's Zeppelin LZ 127 Transatlantic Alarm Chronograph Watch (76964) - WATCH SHOP.com™
But I read some bad feedback about it breaking down after 5-6 months

Cheers
Mantas

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi,

I would like to get your opinion on Dreyfuss Co DGS00033/16 Men's Dreyfuss & Co 1953 Chronograph Watch (DGS00033/16) - WATCH SHOP.com™
Now it's only 225 pounds (55% save). Sounds like a very good offer. Have you tried any of Dreifuss? Can I trust it? Is it worth such money?

I also interested in Calvin Klein K0K27161 Men's Calvin Klein Strive Chronograph Watch (K0K27161) - WATCH SHOP.com™
what about this one?

my third option is Zeppelin LZ 127 Transatlantic 76964 Men's Zeppelin LZ 127 Transatlantic Alarm Chronograph Watch (76964) - WATCH SHOP.com™
But I read some bad feedback about it breaking down after 5-6 months

Cheers
Mantas
They are all quartz watches you have chosen so it is unlikely you will have problems with reliability. In terms of branding, Dreyfuss are the high end brand associated with Rotary (think Toyota/ Lexus). They make some quite nice automatic watches which are priced much higher. Of the three brands on your list I think Dreyfuss carries the most prestige. The model you have picked has a sapphire crystal and 100m water resistance, so I would say it is worth the money and certainly with those specs will be robustly made. The Calvin Klein has 30m WR, ie not waterproof, and an ordinary mineral crystal. CK is a fashion brand which primarily makes clothes not watches, and a 30GBP Timex would comfortably outperform it. I dont know much about Zeppelin. They seem to primarily make watches, but the particular model you have chosen only has 50m WR and again a mineral crystal so I would steer well clear at that price point.

At that price level you can get many very good quartz watches. I suggest looking at Seiko, Citizen, higher end Casios, Tissot, Bulova just off the top of my head for starters. I'm sure other WUSers will come up with other decent quality suggestions.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Quartz at a price range above the bargain price, when the movement is Swiss/Japanese is about as reliable as you can come by. Paying more after a certain point probably does not increase reliability of the movement (unless it is very high end quartz that is thermoregulated or something), it may however increase water resistance, case quality, and look and feel.

·
Registered
798 Posts
CK watch and jewellery is a Swatch Group brand.
I think that makes as legitimate a watch brand as any other.
What you say is true, and I am not disputing the integrity of the underlying watch manufacture. But the watch is quartz (I'll assume its a Swiss movement), has minimal water resistance, a mineral crystal and is priced at 250GBP. The equivalent Swatch sells for around 100GBP. My point, by referring to CK as a 'fashion' brand, is that most of a buyer's money is spent is on the CK branding not the watch. For similar price the Dreyfuss watch the OP has selected is far superior.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
To the CK? There is no comparable Tissot. The CKs are facelifted Swatch chronos. Even entry quartz Tissots have sapphire and 100m WR - and a quartz Tissot chrono can be had for around 250GBP.
sure that may be true but let's go up another brand level.
what does the comparable Longines cost compared to the Tissot?

Saying that CK is all about paying for the brand name is ignoring that it is true for ALL watch brand names.

·
Registered
798 Posts
sure that may be true but let's go up another brand level.
what does the comparable Longines cost compared to the Tissot?

Saying that CK is all about paying for the brand name is ignoring that it is true for ALL watch brand names.
What are you -a lawyer? :) Yes I don't disagree at all with what you are saying. But we are talking about the three specific watches the OP wished to compare at this price point. I can explain why the quality: price ratio is so different for the CK in this particular case, ie it is the branding, especially when pretty much exactly the same watch is sold under the Swatch moniker for 150GBP less. Of course as you say this is also true for all watch brands but I guess my problem with a 'fashion' brand is that unsuspecting buyers could be hoodwinked purely from the cachet of a name associated with quality from an area totally outside watchmaking, as CK is. At least branding driven by watchmakers is based on the whole on what they have done in the industry. Also I take the point I think you are driving at - at higher price levels these distinctions get much more blurred. I've seen some very nice timepieces from Dunhill, and Ralph Lauren for instance. And yes the price of a Tag compared to an equivalent Nomos is largely down to the name.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Of those, I'd go with the Dreyfuss. I don't like the overdone branding of the CK. The Zeppelin is silver on silver, which is hard to read. However, I'd consider all of these to be fashion brands, rather than serious watches.

Why not have a look at Tissot, Certina, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts