WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

Looking to get a Daytona for a special occasion. It's been a grail watch of mine for a while - the black dial ceramic one in particular.

- Wondering if anyone had thoughts on a Daytona on a strap
- And if anyone was choosing between the 116520 and the 16520 Zenith powered one and which one they eventually ended up with and why

Rolex-Daytona-116520-Review-Steel-Black-Dial-aBlogtoWatch-20.jpg
1652-.jpg

·
Registered
31,263 Posts
Absolutely love them!!

Perfect sized and proportioned case, and a beautiful (If poorly legible) Dial.

Has to be on a bracelet for me though, and as for Zenith powered models, out of my price range, but very collectible if you can afford one.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I prefer OEM and would never put a strap on that model. I had one and enjoyed it for several years but got tired of the poor legibility. I prefer the dial layout and coloring on the 4030 movement, but with that you are getting a very crappy bracelet unless you can find a late A serial. And then it's still not that good.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Its a great watch, works well on either bracelet or the strap. I would go for the Rolex inhouse movements, as the Zenith one is well... Zenith made? I guess.

But I have to give credit that the Zenith ones gives a better centered sub-dial layout.

The only thing I don’t like? Is it’s way too overpriced on the secondary market, and you’d be hard pressed into buying other watches you don’t want if you want to buy it off from the AD.

Kinda suck.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its a great watch, works well on either bracelet or the strap. I would go for the Rolex inhouse movements, as the Zenith one is well... Zenith made? I guess.

But I have to give credit that the Zenith ones gives a better centered sub-dial layout.

The only thing I don’t like? Is it’s way too overpriced on the secondary market, and you’d be hard pressed into buying other watches you don’t want if you want to buy it off from the AD.

Kinda suck.
Respectfully, you might want to research the El Primero movement, how highly it is regarded and exactly what Rolex did to modify it. And actually check out some Zenith watches and research them. Many people regard them higher than Rolex.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Dont get me wrong, El Primeros are awesome. It’s just not my preference having a brand using someone else’s movement. While of course that is nothing to do with technicalities. Do pay attention that I did not say anything bad about it.

Regarding “many people regard them higher than Rolex” is truly a subject of a personal opinion and I’m not going to start a debate about it either.

Respectfully, you might want to research the El Primero movement, how highly it is regarded and exactly what Rolex did to modify it. And actually check out some Zenith watches and research them. Many people regard them higher than Rolex.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
I wouldn't take it off bracelet. The Daytona might be the singularly most comfortable watch on bracelet I have, and I'm a bracelet guy.

As to the question of modern vs Zenith, my preference would always be for the modern, because you're going to get all the incremental improvements that Rolex never talks about. Plus, the small seconds at 6 vs 9 is more pleasing to my sense of symmetry.

Regards,
Alysandir

Reactions: Alimamy

·
Registered
24 Posts
In the photos you listed, that was definitely a patrizzi dial zenith. those are 30K easy, so, be prepared for that sticker shock if that is what is in your head...

personally, I think if you are buying it for a milestone, and canobtain it...grab the ceramic.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have been wearing Rolex for decades and the Daytona is one model I definitely would steer clear of. Why, simply the pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts