WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for a gold watch with complication. I thought I wanted a Lange 1 for the longest time. However, I recently tried it on and it fell flat. I asked my wife hoping she'd love it and convince me it's worth getting. She shrugged her shoulders and said, "muh, it's okay, I've seen better".

Lange 1.jpg

I've been looking at other watches since that conversation (from Patek, VC, Breguet, LU Chopard, plus a couple others). I then stumbled upon the Blancpain Villeret Complete Calendar. My wife even said, "I like that more than that Lange you tried". I have to agree...I fell in love with the dial. I've always been lukewarm on the moonphase, but this watch is pure class.

Villeret Complete.jpg

I never buy watches based on resale value and don't speculate on their prices. I buy what I like with the intention of keeping them, and I like this Villeret a lot more than I thought I would. I hope to hear from current or past owners of this timepiece. What's your opinion on this watch and has it's given you any trouble? Thank you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ALS certainly makes very high quality watches and their movements are unique. What bothers me about this brand is that their dials are very plain and there's no artistry in them for dress watches. They're certainly elegant enough, but more utilitarian, which is typical of Germans.

Blancpain also makes very fine watches and have a rich heritage. Their dials are better, but their cases are not as robust as the ALSs.

Have you looked at Breguet? Their Marine line is really sharp.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have, specifically their Classique line. They are beautiful and I like them, but there is something about the Villeret that really captured my attention.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well for the money you'd spend on the ALS, I'd go with a Calatrava, or a Breguet and Blancpain.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
I love their Villeret line. I am partial to the 8 day perpetual, however the one you posted is great as well. I tried it on in person and it was fantastic. After learning more about Blancpain on this forum I kind of soured on them because they aren’t a WUS darling, however after a couple years of looking at everything I came back around on them.

The only issue I really see is their resale value. Buy used or at least with a 30-40% discount new and you are good to go.

I do like their all gold mesh bracelet as well...also bear in mind I am in sales and like more bling / dial design than most people on WUS as well.

The Lange 1 in person is flat for me as well. The Lange 1 moonphase has a bit of color, that on is sharp. Dial only, I prefer the Blancpain and that is what you are looking at the most.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Darn are they not a WUS darling? We get quite a few posts on the FF. I liked Blancpain's 6 masterpieces collection from the Biver days and this Villeret seems to be a nice modern younger sibling so full steam ahead imo.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think that complete calendar is great. The correctors are hidden underneath the lugs but are easily adjustable with fingernails so the case on the sides are super clean. Plus it's a secured movement so if you make a "mistake" adjusting something during the forbidden periods it will not break the movement. Super overlooked features that I don't think other respected brands have.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I was torn between the JLC MUT Moon and that one in steel but went with the JLC. I would have went with the bp if it was 39mm or smaller though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was torn between the JLC MUT Moon and that one in steel but went with the JLC. I would have went with the bp if it was 39mm or smaller though.
Funny you'd mention the JLC's. This is how I learned my lesson to ALWAYS try on watches before judging, purchasing, or giving opinions to others. The JLC MUT Moon is one of the most beautiful timepieces, until it touches my wrist. I was about to buy one online (at an amazing price) but convinced myself to wait an hour, go to my local AD, and try it on. I can't explain what happened. It transformed from a gorgeous watch on the counter to something I knew I could never wear. The moment I removed it from my wrist, it was gorgeous again. It just wasn't made for me.

Then I tried on the JLC MUT 41... I love its versatility.

JLC.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm more partial to the old JLC Master Moon, Master Calendar 2005-2013 (asymmetrical dial, with PR), and Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Historiques Triple Calendar 1942 and Historiques Triple Calendar 1948. I don't like the Blancpain's design.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Those are really high quality watches

·
Banned
103 Posts
I have a friend who owns several and he loves them

·
Banned
103 Posts
I will see if I can find pics

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love the Blancpain designs. I also love the Breguet designs. At the quality and prices of these watches it is very difficult to assign value beyond taste and how it wears.

·
Registered
428 Posts
you made the right choice
and never looked back
the watch is a piece of art (i own 2 Blancpains and look forward to add more)
the exact one you have hugs my wrist perfectly
IMG_5701c.jpg
never look back

1 - 20 of 39 Posts