WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, pictures below. I am really torn about getting this watch or not, maybe you guys can help! I always wanted the modern version of this watch but when I saw this particular one for sale, I just got too intrigued. I know for a fact, this is NOT franken watch as it was purchased in 2015 from Mathew Bain (Or at least I hope such an establishment is not selling frankens). However the caseback is from another zenith model (A384), hence the circular mark on the inside, and now it's fitted with a see through back. I thought this would hinder the price, and Im sure it does, but I see an example on chrono24 that has the tachy and pushers replaced selling at the same price as the others. Of course this can't be a good reference as to what it's worth. What do you think it's worth, and what would you pay for it, IF you were even to buy this? I am not super rich or anything, so resale value means a lot.

Here is what I was told:

Dial/Tachy: Looks original

Case: Mark 1

Caseback & Serial: Of course incorrect, stamped 903DXXX

Hands/Crown: Hour & Mins seem original, but relumed ( :( ) , Seconds hand is a replacement seems like.

Movement: Engraved 3019.

What do you guys think?! It's so damn nice and im so tempted, but I don't want to get stuck with something that's not of value.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

FullSizeRender_2.jpg

FullSizeRender_3.jpg

·
Registered
449 Posts
Why are hands and dial that dirty ?
My first impression as well.
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there is dust, particulate, scratching, and general dirt on the face and/or interior of crystal. Why? Who knows? Careless "repair" work, poor quality replacement parts, etc.
Personally I would steer clear. Unless you are after a "project" watch, and have some money and time to spend on sourcing parts and getting it serviced; dont do it.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first impression as well.
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there is dust, particulate, scratching, and general dirt on the face and/or interior of crystal. Why? Who knows? Careless "repair" work, poor quality replacement parts, etc.
Would you spend anything on this? Is it worth it?

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No clue, that‘s why I asked. Anyway, it does look odd and would make me shrink back.
Do you think you would buy this at the right price? If so, what price point? Also, what do you think about the relumed hands, replaced seconds hand and the non original caseback? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Personally I wouldnt. Save your money and get an example in better shape.
I am in no position to provide you with a valuation, plus I dont think it is allowed on the forum.

·
Banned
873 Posts
@OP - I wouldn't ask this question in this forum, the members here don't know or understand vintage nearly as well as the guys over at Omega Forum.

I remember this specific watch being discussed over there, I would post your images and questions here instead.

Reactions: Karlisnet

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@OP - I wouldn't ask this question in this forum, the members here don't know or understand vintage nearly as well as the guys over at Omega Forum.

I remember this specific watch being discussed over there, I would post your images and questions here instead.
This same watch, really? Well I don't think I will even try.. It was easy, but I think I've been swayed to walk away and wait for another grail! Thanks

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Given the movement and a reasonable facsimile of the watch exists, I'm not sure I see value in buying an original A386 unless it is for collecting purposes.
As I gravitate more towards watches to wear, the modern version would do me just fine.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Those hands look bad. Even a bargain price would be a lot of money, so why gamble? Walk away.

Reactions: rcsami

·
Banned
873 Posts
It's definitely not cheap. From what I recall, this costs more than a brand new grey market Zenith El Primero Chronomaster 38mm. I vaguely remember it being in the $7-8K range but I could be wrong, the watch is way out of my budget personally and I would be aiming for (many) other watches over a vintage El Primero that could be a potential landmine of undiscovered issues.

Reactions: rcsami

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to everyone for their input. I will not be purchasing this. I'm glad I started this thread!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts