WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Banned
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, pictures below. I am really torn about getting this watch or not, maybe you guys can help! I always wanted the modern version of this watch but when I saw this particular one for sale, I just got too intrigued. I know for a fact, this is NOT franken watch as it was purchased in 2015 from Mathew Bain (Or at least I hope such an establishment is not selling frankens). However the caseback is from another zenith model (A384), hence the circular mark on the inside, and now it's fitted with a see through back. I thought this would hinder the price, and Im sure it does, but I see an example on chrono24 that has the tachy and pushers replaced selling at the same price as the others. Of course this can't be a good reference as to what it's worth. What do you think it's worth, and what would you pay for it, IF you were even to buy this? I am not super rich or anything, so resale value means a lot.

Here is what I was told:

Dial/Tachy: Looks original

Case: Mark 1

Caseback & Serial: Of course incorrect, stamped 903DXXX

Hands/Crown: Hour & Mins seem original, but relumed ( :( ) , Seconds hand is a replacement seems like.

Movement: Engraved 3019.

What do you guys think?! It's so damn nice and im so tempted, but I don't want to get stuck with something that's not of value.

· Registered
587 Posts
Why are hands and dial that dirty ?
My first impression as well.
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like there is dust, particulate, scratching, and general dirt on the face and/or interior of crystal. Why? Who knows? Careless "repair" work, poor quality replacement parts, etc.
Personally I would steer clear. Unless you are after a "project" watch, and have some money and time to spend on sourcing parts and getting it serviced; dont do it.

· Banned
873 Posts
@OP - I wouldn't ask this question in this forum, the members here don't know or understand vintage nearly as well as the guys over at Omega Forum.

I remember this specific watch being discussed over there, I would post your images and questions here instead.

Reactions: Karlisnet

· Banned
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@OP - I wouldn't ask this question in this forum, the members here don't know or understand vintage nearly as well as the guys over at Omega Forum.

I remember this specific watch being discussed over there, I would post your images and questions here instead.
This same watch, really? Well I don't think I will even try.. It was easy, but I think I've been swayed to walk away and wait for another grail! Thanks

· Registered
11,997 Posts
Given the movement and a reasonable facsimile of the watch exists, I'm not sure I see value in buying an original A386 unless it is for collecting purposes.
As I gravitate more towards watches to wear, the modern version would do me just fine.

· Banned
873 Posts
It's definitely not cheap. From what I recall, this costs more than a brand new grey market Zenith El Primero Chronomaster 38mm. I vaguely remember it being in the $7-8K range but I could be wrong, the watch is way out of my budget personally and I would be aiming for (many) other watches over a vintage El Primero that could be a potential landmine of undiscovered issues.

Reactions: rcsami
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.