WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This will be my 1st automatic watch.
Is this a good watch? can't find any review about it and i'm really noob bout watches. :think:
The only thing I'm concern bout this model is the lume brightness. how long does it last.

(actually this is my second choice after decide that the snzf little moster model just too big for wrist)

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
There are just so many Seikos they all don't get the attention they deserve. This looks nice to me. The bracelet looks like it has solid links and the clasp has a push button deployant. The end links (connecting to the case) are not solid, but that is ok for a watch at this price. Funky looking bezel.

I'm sure the lume is fine as well, but it depends on what you are expecting.

One note about the black coating...you will find that it will wear away on the spots that get regular surface contact, like the clasp. So over time you will get the base metal showing through in spots. Also the shiny parts tend to collect fingerprints and smudges.

The movement is Seiko's entry level 7S movement. Just so you are aware, automatic/mechanical movements do not have as good as a daily accuracy as quartz and if not worn for a few days the watch will stop and you will have to reset the time. This movement does not hand wind through the crown, but many people keep them running by gently swinging from side to side for a few minutes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an SNZF21 which aesthetics aside is very, very similar.

As said the polished parts of the bracelet will start to collect smudges but it's easy to clean. Mine very rarely comes off my wrist and I'm a little absent minded so tend to bang it about a bit, the bracelet still looks new.

The bracelet overall is very nice having solid links it feels a lot better and is less noisy than cheaper offerings.

Lume is great, nowhere near as good as a diver but it starts out nice and bright and although it does fade a little quickly it's at least readable for most of the night.

Overall I'm very happy with mine, the only thing I don't like is the clasp which is a little bit nasty and can be a tad noisy.

I would take a look at the Seiko divers though such as the SKX series, I find myself at times wishing I had got one instead and the price difference is nothing (in fact, I'm about to pull the trigger on an Orange Monster for less than I paid for my 5 :D)

As for the SNZF size, I find it a little hard to believe that the case measurements on some sites are correct, it doesn't seem much bigger than my 39/40mm Timex beater, I'll measure it later.

Cheers :-!

EDIT: Ignore that, the case dimensions are correct, it wears a lot smaller however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure the lume is fine as well, but it depends on what you are expecting.

One note about the black coating...you will find that it will wear away on the spots that get regular surface contact, like the clasp. So over time you will get the base metal showing through in spots. Also the shiny parts tend to collect fingerprints and smudges.
I expect the lume will last about 3-4hours.

er, the black coating will wear away? that's makes me worried.
is all black coating watch usually will wear off?

Lume is great, nowhere near as good as a diver but it starts out nice and bright and although it does fade a little quickly it's at least readable for most of the night.

I would take a look at the Seiko divers though such as the SKX series, I find myself at times wishing I had got one instead and the price difference is nothing (in fact, I'm about to pull the trigger on an Orange Monster for less than I paid for my 5 :D)
can the lume last for at least 3-4hours?

I wish my wrist is bigger, I really love the snzf53 and the orange monster. o|

·
Registered
35 Posts
I expect the lume will last about 3-4hours.

er, the black coating will wear away? that's makes me worried.
is all black coating watch usually will wear off?

can the lume last for at least 3-4hours?

I wish my wrist is bigger, I really love the snzf53 and the orange monster. o|
I think what he's saying is it could potentially be rubbed away on areas that are going to be subject to friction, ie the clasp resting/rubbing on a desk day in, day out, etc.

I've had mine for going on two months now which isn't a lot but as I said I do tend to bash my watch around a lot and it's had a few decent scrapes and there's not a mark on it so I'm not too worried about the durability of the black coating.

It depends what you mean by lasts, it dims a lot within the first couple of hours but I've found it readable (if a little dim) for most of the night, I've woken up and looked at my watch at 4am or so a few times and although it's taken a second, it's still pretty readable.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think what he's saying is it could potentially be rubbed away on areas that are going to be subject to friction, ie the clasp resting/rubbing on a desk day in, day out, etc.

I've had mine for going on two months now which isn't a lot but as I said I do tend to bash my watch around a lot and it's had a few decent scrapes and there's not a mark on it so I'm not worried about the durability of the black coating too much.

It depends what you mean by lasts, it dims a lot within the first couple of hours but I've found it readable (if a little dim) for most of the night, I've woken up and looked at my watch at 4am or so a few times and although it's taken a second, it's still pretty readable.

Hope this helps.
Thanks man, that's help a lot. now i'm at ease, going to order mine for RM500. :thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a few Seiko 5 Sports and they do represent superb value for the money paid. They are chunky time pieces with great wrist presence. Lume is usually good - lasting till wee hours of the morning. Just put it under a bright light source for a minute or two to charge it. It's that sensitive.

However, there if you live in a humid environment, do take care not to store it too long in enclosed places. Moisture may build up and fog the crystal. Not sure why that happens even though Seiko 5 sports series are typically rated WR 100m :-s.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts

I've had mine for going on two months now which isn't a lot but as I said I do tend to bash my watch around a lot and it's had a few decent scrapes and there's not a mark on it so I'm not too worried about the durability of the black coating.

Hope this helps.
Yes, this is what I meant. It was just a general comment on black ion plated watches and not specifically this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.