Votes: 40 51.9%
  • Save your cash for a Panerai

Votes: 7 9.1%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm applying for a new job and if I get it I will have to wear a suit everyday and I would want to treat myself to a new watch. Most of the divers I have now would be too large to wear under shirt cuffs so I was thinking about buying a Tudor but not sure which to get... Black Bay or Pelagos???

I love the rugged, simplistic look and slightly larger size of the Pelagos but I'm a little afraid of getting bored with its somewhat plain style.

I love the look (and red bezel) of the Black Bay but I hate yellow gold on watches...though I think the gold on the Black Bay is minimal enough that it wouldn't really bother me.

So if you have owned one I would like to hear your opinion and if you have owned both I would love to hear which one you preferred and why.

The third option would be to save my money and buy a Panerai...I've always wanted one so I wonder if rather than "wasting" money on a Tudor I should just save it for a Panerai. Then again I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable wearing an 8-10,000 dollar watch to work everyday. I'm not independently wealthy and to date my most expensive watch is a $1,000 SAS.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Save and get what you really want. I am not a Tudor fan but thats just me. Suits and Rollie Subs and Omega PO's go good together to.....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I would Ecco Jack here. I have a Pelagos and it is one of my favorite watches. I'm not sure i would put it as a suit and tie watch. I suppose it could pull it off, but there are better alternatives. Buy the one you really want the first time.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not that I don't like or want a Tudor, I like both the Pelagos and Black Bay, it's just one day I will own a Panerai and not sure if I should spend half the price of one on a Tudor. Then again if I buy a Panerai I probably won't wear it to work so I would be back to square one about what do I buy for my work watch.

·
Registered
644 Posts
This is an odd comment....your comparing a $4000 watch to a painful and annoying skin irritation? I understand that a Tudor might not be in the same ballpark as a Panerai but I don't think the two are that far removed.
Actually the comment makes perfect sense. Scratching an itch for the sake of scratching or getting what you really want.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
This is an odd comment....your comparing a $4000 watch to a painful and annoying skin irritation? I understand that a Tudor might not be in the same ballpark as a Panerai but I don't think the two are that far removed.
Actually I never said which was which.
Only you can answer that question for yourself.
Perhaps I should have used apples to oranges cliche

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Actually I never said which was which.
Only you can answer that question for yourself.
Perhaps I should have used apples to oranges cliche
I just made an educated guess considering your screen name.
And your right, only I can answer for myself but the other point of this thread that I cannot answer for myself is to get some feedback from Tudor owners on the Black Bay and Pelagos, their preferences, experiences, etc.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I just made an educated guess considering your screen name.
Yet I've been wearing my Pelagos practically non-stop for the past 3 weeks.
But I couldn't choose one over the other.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Your selection of watches is very wide, the Pelagos and BB having totally opposite styles, the Pelagos being very blunt and businesslike while the BB is stylish and dressy. Whatever you choose don't worry about the watch fitting inside the cuff, anyone spending that kind of cash is not worried about it being seen since it's among the incentive for buying it!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I owned both, Pelagos and BB, and I traded the BB about 3 days after I received it. Both are great watches but I like the style of the Pelagos better. The BB is dressier, but I wear the Pelagos with a suit too. It depends on how confident you are...;-). As for Panerai...you can always sell a Tudor here, especially a Pelagos.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I own a Panerai and in all honesty I don't wear it daily.
To each his own, but to me a daily watch is a bit of a knock-around watch, so a little scuff, little knock here and there

trust me scratching your Panerai would hurt......lol,

ps. if you are getting a Panerai get the Titanium (brushed)!!!!!!!!! scratches come off with a simple pencil elastic/eraser!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The pelagos isn't a flashy watch. It's matte and very under stated. No bling factor here.
That being said, I find that combination works for me hence I snatched the pelagos.
For the added color factor and more of a show piece, the BB can flow that way.
It's my main watch and a solid build.
However, if you have something you really want, don't get an intermediary. As it's been thrown out here already, save for the piece you want and no regrets.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Get the panerai.
The Pelagos is just too plain.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
IMO the BB and the pelagos are a toss up , both nice , you can't make a bad choice , BUT if you like a watch very light than titanium , if you do not like a light watch than black bay the panerai is a watch that does not have anything I find attractive , and I would never buy one

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
The BB looks great in the office... ;-)
Panerai is a different thing. It may not be a good idea if it´s going to be your only watch.
But if you are really into one, a preowned 000 or 112 can be found for reasonable prices.
At the end of the day, it´s your money and your call, like everybody else said! Good luck with your choice...

IMG_0675.JPG

1 - 20 of 31 Posts