WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can anyone tell me about Swiss Army watches -- quality, where made, movements, etc. Their Alliance Chrongraph is quite striking.

·
Registered
38,774 Posts
:-! Good value for the money and they have gotten serious. They have
been selling mechanical watches for some time and have a three year
warranty.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts

Market focus USA – Part 2:New factory fuels Swiss Army quality
Victorinox Swiss Army opens own factory in Switzerland, plans to move up-market.

Article in europa star above can be found at:
http://www.europastar.com/europastar..._id=1003523244

It is my understanding that at present many of the Victorinox/Swiss Army watches are made in the Breitling factory.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

·
1,261 Posts
I have 2 Swiss Army quartz watches now and they are great. I had a Ground Force Automatic and it was really nice, but it was a tad too big for me, so it was sold. But the quality I see on all my Swiss Army's is top notch. Great value for the prices they are charging.

Chris

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Europa Star article is very interesting. Thanks for passing it along.

Ron

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
The Europa Star article is very interesting. Thanks for passing it along.

Ron
My pleasure - glad you liked it. They have a new limited edition watch the AMBASSADOR XL CHRONOGRAPH that appears to be using the cutting edge new chrono from Eta. I've done some looking around and found an ad in europa star that says:

AMBASSADOR XL CHRONOGRAPH by Victorinox Swiss Army
Stainless steel chronograph (45mm) equipped with a Valgranges A07.211 Swiss Made mechanical self-winding movement. Sapphire crystal front and back, luminous hands and numerals, date at 3 o’clock, 12-hour, 30-minute and 60-seconds counters, 46-hour power reserve, black alligator strap, water-resistant to 100 metres. Limited Edition of 750 pieces.

What is a Valgranges A07.211 movement?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I love my Swiss Army watches and have owned many over the years. Never been disapointed.

Right now, I wear a Maverick II black face chrono.
The SS bracelet rivals some of the top swiss watches that I've bought at much higher prices.

I just missed an Air Boss Mach 4 that was in the for sale section.
Great watch for the price. Still looking if any has one for sale ;-)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I purchased a Swiss Army Officer's model with quartz movement in late 2002. It was my retirement present to myself. It keeps accurate time, has a good looking dial and is comfortable on the wrist. Just replaced the battery. For under $275 it is a good value.

S

·
0 Posts
What is a Valgranges A07.211 movement?
Valgranges movements are developed and made by ETA, their basics go back to the 7750/7760 Valjoux movement which is smaller than the Valgranges (diameter of 36,60 mm (ETA say 37,22mm (?), 16 1/2 lines´´´). The Valgranges may be interpreted as an answer to the demand of bigger watches though.

Valgranges A07.111 three hands/date indication
Valgranges A07.161 three hands/date/power reserve indication
Valgranges A07.171 GMT/date
Valgranges A07.211 chrono

www.valgranges.ch

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Valgranges movements are developed and made by ETA, their basics go back to the 7750/7760 Valjoux movement which is smaller than the Valgranges (diameter of 36,60 mm (ETA say 37,22mm (?), 16 1/2 lines´´´). The Valgranges may be interpreted as an answer to the demand of bigger watches though.

Valgranges A07.111 three hands/date indication
Valgranges A07.161 three hands/date/power reserve indication
Valgranges A07.171 GMT/date
Valgranges A07.211 chrono

www.valgranges.ch
As usual, Danke Mike. No wonder there was no information at Eta.ch it is on another site:roll:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Blog Victorinox Swiss Army

Hello,
Im new and happy to be on this forum.

More precisions about VSA:

In 98 they bought a Breitling manufacture in Bonfol (Jura - Swiss).

In 2006 they closed this manufacture and open a new one bigger and more modern in Porrentruy (Jura - Swiss) near the official swiss lamborghini seller (R.Affolter).

All the production is now in Porrentruy.

You could find more informations and pictures on my blog. (sorry for language: english and french for articles).Thank you for your commentary

http://victorinoxswissarmy.zeblog.com/ (French Version)

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=fr_en&trurl=http://victorinoxswissarmy.zeblog.com/ (English Version)

S

·
0 Posts
This is not the reality !
Wenger was bought by Victorinox and now the hight quality is Victorinox Swiss Army with high prices and Wenger low cost...
Correct, on 26 April 2005 Victorinox acquired Wenger.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've had this for nearly 2 years now and it's never put a foot wrong. Very accurate, nice and chunky and the easiest to read chronograph I own. AR coating on both sides of crystal really help on that front. The tachymeter is one of the clearest I've seen as well. It has a Valjoux 7750 movement. If the one you're considering is anything like as good as this you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I like Wenger better then Victorinox. The Wengers just seem like they are of better quality.
Wengers have always been lower cost/quality than the mid and upper range of Swiss Army/Victorinox. Now that they are owned by Victorinox they are being positioned as the lower end of the line offered.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
I've owned the 9G-600 for nearly 2 years as well. Terrific watch and mine has never had a problem. Keeps good time, works well, looks great, and has shrugged off marks like no other watch I own.

The word I got was at the time these were made Victorinox/SA was having them assembled at the Breitling factory.

They can be found occassionally online for around $400. Truly a great buy if you can find one NIB for that price.|>

I've had this for nearly 2 years now and it's never put a foot wrong. Very accurate, nice and chunky and the easiest to read chronograph I own. AR coating on both sides of crystal really help on that front. The tachymeter is one of the clearest I've seen as well. It has a Valjoux 7750 movement. If the one you're considering is anything like as good as this you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
595 Posts
Wengers have always been lower cost/quality than the mid and upper range of Swiss Army/Victorinox. Now that they are owned by Victorinox they are being positioned as the lower end of the line offered.
I like Victorinox knives the best. I just like Wenger watches better then Victorinox.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Swiss Army Watch about 6 years ago in Vancouver. Nice looking watch it had a black strap with red piping i don't have the model name here its in being repaired ( properly this time i hope ). The watch cost $375 canadian and it was new when i got it from a shop here in downtown Vancouver. Moisture was getting into the watch from the start and the watch was never near water. I sent it in under warranty, to California if i remember correctly,the watch came back with the same problem it left with and a new battery. I took the watch to a shop a week ago cause i'm dead sick of the foggy crystal, the repair guy opened the watch and i could see that Swiss Army had daubed a bit of silicon on my stem...some repair that was. Now its going to cost me $100 to get it done right.o|

1 - 20 of 40 Posts