WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have only just joined and I am looking for some opinions. I have posted a similar thread in the Longines forum, but feel I may receive some other examples here in the non-specific forum.I have been reading the forum for quite a while now and trying to determine what my first 'good' watch might be. I am looking for a bracelet, automatic, dark dial, non chronograph, around 40mm as I dont like a large dial. Also, I prefer a dress watch not a diver.I have found quite a few different makes and models that I have been interested in. The one that has particularly taken my interest is the Longines Classic Conquest L2.785.4.56.6.I have also looked at a TAG Carrera Calibre 5 WV211B.BA0787. I found this an amazing watch on the wrist.My budget would be a maximum of around $2400USD. If anyone has any advice or information on these pieces or similar it would be appreciated.Thankyou all for your time, I look forward to your responses.Cheers,Chris​

Attachments

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
You have excellent taste, IMHO.......Both are nice watches, no better than nice.
I think the Longines is just a little better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably used the wrong term in 'dress'. Im looking for a nice watch that can be worn both at work (management) and in a dress attire. Not purely a dress watch. Thanks for the opinions though

·
Registered
900 Posts
While not true dress watches by the strictest terms, like peakay mentioned, you could get away with wearing them in dress situations without anyone noticing I'm sure. They should be able to bridge the gap between dress and casual pretty well. If I were spending $2400 on such a watch, I'd be looking at used Rolex Datejusts!

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,084 Posts
For an all around watch that would work well with suits the Longines you showed would be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
That's really not a very good price point for dress/dressy watch, you are paying for a premium for ETA/Sellita.

If I were you, I'll get a Tissot, Seiko or Hamilton at sub $1,000 or go higher for inhouse movement such as Omega, Nomos, Seiko.

The difference between a $600 dollar Visodate to the Carrera IMHO is NOT worth $1,500 more, not to mention the resale drop of both the longines and TAG.

Good luck!!

Reactions: BMack and JPfeuffer

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
That's really not a very good price point for dress/dressy watch, you are paying for a premium for ETA/Sellita.

If I were you, I'll get a Tissot, Seiko or Hamilton at sub $1,000 or go higher for inhouse movement such as Omega, Nomos, Seiko.

The difference between a $600 dollar Visodate to the Carrera IMHO is NOT worth $1,500 more, not to mention the resale drop of both the longines and TAG.

Good luck!!
You can get good deals on TAG, or buy preowned.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I've been in the market for a similar design for quite some time. I like the two you're considering. Here are some of my favorites I've come across.

Ball Fireman Victory:

Citizen Signature Automatic:

Hamilton Intramatic:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
...If I were you, I'll get a Tissot, Seiko or Hamilton at sub $1,000 or go higher for inhouse movement such as Omega, Nomos, Seiko.

Good luck!!
No doubt, when I see a thread like this, I typically think Visodate or Jazzmaster. Although the Visodate does have that somewhat awkwardly placed day display and only comes on leather. As Peakay, GETS and BGTP23 mentioned, a true dress watch should be on leather. If this watch will be the one you are wearing most of the time, I'd get something on a bracelet, as I'm not sure how well leather would go with casual dress. However, since you mentioned it will be primarily for work and formal wear, getting something on leather is not a bad idea, assuming you wear business attire to the office. If most of your shoes and belts are black, I'd go with a black leather strap. If they are brown, go with a brown leather strap.

Happy hunting and let us know what you get.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Or get an Orient Royal or Orient Star:

Or by something used, like an Omega Constellation Pie Pan.

..$2400 is right in the middle of "We sell maximum mediocrity at maximum profit territory" for the Swiss.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
OP, those are 2 very nice options based on your criteria. If you are open to considering "nearly new/pre-owned", an Omega Aqua Terra or Grand Seiko would be other good pics.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
If you strech the budget a bit to maybe 3k, you could get into a lightly used omega AT 8500. This is superior to either watch that you posted.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
28,501 Posts

I sort of agree with this. At $2,400 are already spending Nomos money without an in-house movement. You are also not that far away from Zenith on the grey market.

That said, I think both a sharp looking watches - and my vote would go for the Longines.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
In this genre, and at my price point, the two I have been eyeing are the Ball Engineer II Red Label and Tissot Powermatic 80 chronometer.

Both are COSC, but reasonably priced. However, no display back on the Ball, and I may have some problems with the side of the Tissot. I need to see that "in the flesh".

EIIRedLabelCOSC-01.jpg &n=T086_408_16_051_00.png

Reactions: Perdendosi
1 - 20 of 27 Posts