WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

New to the forum but have silently read through posts during my research process on which watch to get. I recently decided to purchase a new watch to take some of the wear and tear off of my daily (and really only) watch, a vintage manual wind Omega De Ville and to have another option depending on my attire for the day.

I have looked a number of options from several watchmakers but have found myself liking the Baume et Mercier options below. I can get each for approx $1300 (USD), new. I was hoping to get some opinions on what people think in terms of styling (flexibility to be worn in a business or casual environment), general looks, or experience with the watches themselves. Also, would these be considered a good deal at this price?

Thanks!

Classima Chronograph (Model 8589)

Capeland Chronograph (Model 10082)

Attachments

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
Not an expert on pricing for B&M (besides that they are relatively heavily discounted at grey market dealers, which is good), but $1300 sounds good.
As far as styling, that is highly subjective: what it matters is that you like them. Personally, of the two choices, I prefer the black dialed one - way more versatile than the other one, IMO - and I also think that the Capeland is a little too busy and that the red telemeter scale doesn't jive very well with the rest.

PS: where are my manners? Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not an expert on pricing for B&M (besides that they are relatively heavily discounted at grey market dealers, which is good), but $1300 sounds good.
As far as styling, that is highly subjective: what it matters is that you like them. Personally, of the two choices, I prefer the black dialed one - way more versatile than the other one, IMO - and I also think that the Capeland is a little too busy and that the red telemeter scale doesn't jive very well with the rest.

PS: where are my manners? Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for the welcome and your response! I do like both watches, but your point on versatility is very helpful. I am trying to visualize which watch would work best in a variety of settings, e.g. casual with jeans, normal workday in business casual, formal workday in suit, etc.

As far as pricing goes, the $1300 would be for grey market pricing, compared to retail of $3150 for the black faced Classima and $4350 for the Capeland.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I think both a Telemeter and a Tachymeter is overkill - and that dial proves it.
I think the Classima is more versatile but couldn't you find something with better hand/dial contrast that you like?

As for prices, if you can find it in a number of place on the internet then that IS the price they sell for.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think both a Telemeter and a Tachymeter is overkill - and that dial proves it.
I think the Classima is more versatile but couldn't you find something with better hand/dial contrast that you like?

As for prices, if you can find it in a number of place on the internet then that IS the price they sell for.
Thanks for your response. Now that you mention the contrast, I'm not sure why that picture (google image search) has the hand so washed out against the dial. Several other pictures show it more like this:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I like the Capeland better. The Capeland has a bracelet version that cost only a little more and can be changed out to straps easily.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Price seems really good. I like the Classima. A co-worker has one and it's really well made.

Sent from my [redacted] using Tapatalk

·
Registered
928 Posts
Out of the two i would get the Classima. The dial design is cleaner so it would work nicer as a dressier watch. I've handled B&M and can tell you that their built quality is very good.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
In months that have fewer than 31 days, you'll need to retrieve your special pusher tool to adjust the date correction pusher on the Capeland case side.
The Classima date can be adjusted using the crown. No tool needed.
Ok, I use a toothpick on my Hamilton with a similar movement to the Capeland. But in this comparison, I like the Classima better.

·
Registered
714 Posts
The Classima by a mile. The Capeland has entirely too many tick marks on the face. I don't really think that Capeland looks particularly good anyway, but it would certainly look very out of place with a suit. A chronograph is a stretch from classic style for a suit as it is. I do wear chronographs with suits here and there, but it would certainly be something more like that Classima. I actually really like that Classima. I'm not familiar with that particular model. I'm off to see if there is a white-dialed version!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Welcome to the forums! While I agree with the comments about the busy dial of the Capeland, the light dial would be more versatile for office semi formal than the black dial which is more sporty. I might forgo all of these and have a look at Longines...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Normally I much prefer white dials...but that Classima looks so good in black.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your responses. A few people have suggested a blue dial option. I do like blue dials but my current Omega has a blue dial and I prefer to get something different for this watch. I think I am leaning toward the Classima. Are there any other thoughts on the pricing at $1300? A couple people have said this pricing sounds good?

I have looked at Longines options but the styles I like for their watches are more toward the $1800 to $1900 range, which is a bit more than I prefer to spend.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I'd go with the Classima. The Capeland is too busy (and not just the tachymeter and telemeter). The simpler dial on the Classima looks better to me. B&M are more than worth it at their discounted price. You're not going to find many watches that are finished better. That said, I would never buy them at MSRP. The only problem with B&M is every watch is the size of a dinner plate, and usually pretty thick too. Even their small dress watches I think go only down to 39mm.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I prefer the black faced classima as well. I own a B&M Classima 3 hand dress watch and it has been excellent. I think B&M really punches above their weight in the finishing dept for their price point. Excellent straps as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts