WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello,

I was browsing around for a diver this week and located the following:

(no link to non-sponsor dealers) Oris Divers Mens Automatic Watch 733-7533-8555MB

Does anyone have this particular watch? How do you like it? I've just started collecting myself and have never handled any Oris pieces so I'm fairly unfamiliar with the brand. I'm also considering

(no link to non-sponsor dealers) Oris Maldives Limited Edition Blue Dial Titanium Mens Watch 01 643 7654 7185-Set MB

Any opinions please share and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Oris is a quality brand that represents good value in a Swiss watch. It is finished at a reasonably high level for a low mid range brand, but it does not have the high advertising costs of some other brands.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I have the blue one.. Its good and how much are you paying for yours?

I got a new one from grey market dealer for less than 700 bucks. Oris quality is good but make sure you are not over paying it.

Reactions: gaopa

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
I don't own a Maldives but understand that it is very well thought of. I have the later version of the Diver Date with the wave dial as opposed to the slightly older one with the checker style dial. Whichever version it is you will be impressed by it - it's a lot of watch for the money.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi mate!

I don't own an Oris diver watch, but I now own a beautiful Oris Artelier Big Date Sub Seconds model (discontinued), which is also my first Oris purchase.
I've owned many watch brands throughout the years, and I am very pleased and impressed of the Oris quality of work.
Someone have said to me "Oris gives you very good value for what you pay", and its excatly what I feel while wearing my Oris - The watch is well-built, and the quality of parts (swiss movement, solid construction and great designs) as well as the functions you are getting for a good price, makes Oris a winner in my opinion.

If I've had the cash, I would be buying another Oris right now (Already have two models in mind)

Cheers

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
The Maldives is basically an Aquis with special coloring and a unique (non-display) case back. I own an Aquis and sometimes wish I'd gone with the LE Maldives because the black bezel numbers just look awesome. Can't go wrong with that one IMO.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
The Maldives is a fantastic watch. It's not simply a special colored Aquis, though, it's a completely unique model. It's the same case size as the Aquis Date (43mm) but has the dial and hands layout of the larger Aquis Small Seconds model (it's the only Aquis model where you can get a small seconds configuration in a 43mm size). In addition it has a titanium case rather than stainless steel, and comes on either a full titanium bracelet, or rubber strap with titanium diver extension deployant clasp (I think it's the best clasp in the industry). It also has a ceramic bezel and is running a modified ETA 2836-2 movement. This watch has a lot going for it, is fantastic quality and value, and could easily fetch double the price if it was wearing an Omega logo.

And, yes... the color combination is absolutely striking and unique.

Here's a pic of mine when I was experimenting with trying to learn how to take decent watch pictures last week. Crap lighting, unfortunately, so the colors are very muted unlike in real life.

DSC03936_cs2.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the blue one.. Its good and how much are you paying for yours?

I got a new one from grey market dealer for less than 700 bucks. Oris quality is good but make sure you are not over paying it.

The Maldives I believe they wanted $1800 for? Which tbh seemed a tad steep being that I just got a Baume & Mercier Capeland for the same price however I could be wrong. The other diver was right about at $1,000 though. I really like the Maldives, I'm just new to watch collecting in general as well as the $1,000 price barrier so I don't want to OVER spend for sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it's a great watch no doubt. The hunt begins! I'm really starting to get into the Oris lines though, love the styling!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oris is a quality brand that represents good value in a Swiss watch. It is finished at a reasonably high level for a low mid range brand, but it does not have the high advertising costs of some other brands.
This sums up Oris for you. Excellent value for the price you pay.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ORIS is a great Brand! high quality and reasonable Price!! i Love this Brand and particulary all divers!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MSRP For the Maldives is $2,800. $1,800 is a good price. If it was wearing the Omega logo you'd probably be spending close to $5,000 for it. It punches in the same weight class as the Planet Ocean, for a lot less money.
Oh I agree. I think since I got a $4350 MSRP watch for the same price I suppose I'm a tad hesitant. Funny how the pricing works. I remember when I was looking for my Capeland, Raymond Weils were selling for more money. Not that I think anything is wrong with RW, just that they are no B&M. I'm going to scout around a bit and see what I can find.

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
I'll have to pretend that I'm telling you something else in case my ProDiver Date sees the post and gets jealous. IMHO other than the orange Carlos Coste LE the Maldives is the best looking watch that Oris have produced so if you have chance of one get it.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
superb timepiece for the $$$

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Dammit. I just bought it... better warm up the couch! :)
LOLOL. Too bad, I was going to see if you wanted to buy mine as I'm going to be putting it up for sale (too many watches and not enough wrist time for it). I promised my wife I was going to sell at least five watches before I buy another.

·
Premium Member
71,208 Posts
Brent, you mean to say that you plan to part company with your Maldives? I'd keep an eye open for it on the FS forum but my watch fund is spoken for well into 2014.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts