WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks! I've recently discovered Halios, and more specifically, the Halios tropik SS. I must say, this is the watch I've been searching for. I am just wondering what your opinions of this watch brand, and also this model in particular. I don;t know much about mechanical movements so how is the quality and reliability of the Japan made Miyota 9015 auto movement? Also, if I were to buy this watch I will have to pay around $800 CDN. Is that an appropriate amount to pay for this watch and for the Halios brand in general?

Here are the specs and a picture of the watch (I will get model with SS bracelet which apparently is going to be available)
  • Case material: 316L stainless steel
  • Dimensions: 41mm width, 14mm thickness, 48mm lug-to-lug, 22mm lug width
  • Vintage domed sapphire crystal with underside AR coating
  • Japan-made Miyota 9015 automatic movement
  • 300M water-resistance
  • BGW9 (blue) Superluminova-coated hands and dial markers for optimal low-light visibility
  • Ships with HALIOS genuine sharkskin strap and stainless steel buckle
  • Info and picture borrowed from Halios website*
  • THANKS FOR THE OPINIONS AND ADVICE |>
Info

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
It's a very popular brand, especially on the Diver forum. Most of their watches sell out quickly. What I like about them is that their designs are original and they aren't trying to be another brand.

In terms of this watch, the Miyota is a solid, reliable movement (can be a little loud though). It's 41mm size is rare to find among many divers out there, so if you don't like huge watches on your wrist, this one work well. Overall, it's nicely designed dressy diver that's worth the money imo.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! Thats exactly why I am drawn to this watch, its not trying too hard, or to be something its not. This would look good for all occasions and will likely put some of my watches out of business lol Hopefully when it comes time for my grad I will be able to get my paws on one. Thanks again and have a great day!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I think the Black dials are out of stock currently, but I believe there's going to be another run later in the summer. Blue dial is available though.

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
No experience on the brand, model or the movement but anyway this one caught my eye. Not usually into diver micro brands, but somehow I find this model very appealing. Miyota might not be very exclusive, but what I've learned they are very reliable workhorses. If I was looking for a diver in sub 1k USD category, this one would on top of the list with some Seikos.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi!

like WNR wrote, if you go to the diver subforum and search you will find a long Halios 2013 thread with a lot of (generally enthusiastic) opinions on the Tropik.

I have the Tropik B. It was my first watch of the type and I really really like it. I was somewhat surprised at the height vs not too large diameter but you might be used to hefty watches and I am very happy that it doesnt have more L2L.
Cant add more to the miyota. The rotor is a bit loud but it runs very well and accurate plus it shouldnt be too hard to service. Actually, I dont think I have read a substantiated negative review of it.

I think the price is very fair. I really like the finishing and it has nice details like the B has a polished edge standing out from the brushed rest and the date-well matches the dial color exactly. In the tropik SS, to me the dial and markers look particularly nicely done. The only thing thats worth considering is that at this price point you have a lot of good options from other micros as well. In the end to me the Tropiks stand out due to their less toolish and more elegant looks.
One caveat is that there is still no bracelet and Halios has not really managed to follow their announcement on this yet.
However, one really has to mention that customer service is absolutely excellent. I had two issues and got answers within less than 12 hours with Jason doing more than enough to make sure things are fixed. Very satisfying and really makes me hope he continues to succeed with his brand.
TEST9549.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi!

like WNR wrote, if you go to the diver subforum and search you will find a long Halios 2013 thread with a lot of (generally enthusiastic) opinions on the Tropik.

I have the Tropik B. It was my first watch of the type and I really really like it. I was somewhat surprised at the height vs not too large diameter but you might be used to hefty watches and I am very happy that it doesnt have more L2L.
Cant add more to the miyota. The rotor is a bit loud but it runs very well and accurate plus it shouldnt be too hard to service. Actually, I dont think I have read a substantiated negative review of it.

I think the price is very fair. I really like the finishing and it has nice details like the B has a polished edge standing out from the brushed rest and the date-well matches the dial color exactly. In the tropik SS, to me the dial and markers look particularly nicely done. The only thing thats worth considering is that at this price point you have a lot of good options from other micros as well. In the end to me the Tropiks stand out due to their less toolish and more elegant looks.
One caveat is that there is still no bracelet and Halios has not really managed to follow their announcement on this yet.
However, one really has to mention that customer service is absolutely excellent. I had two issues and got answers within less than 12 hours with Jason doing more than enough to make sure things are fixed. Very satisfying and really makes me hope he continues to succeed with his brand.
View attachment 1487298
Glad to hear such good things! As you said there are lots to choose from in this price range, and I have plenty of time before I will be purhasing so I will definitely keep hunting! Thanks for the heads up about the catalog on the dive forum I will check that out! Hopefully the bracelet is available when I make the purchase! What a beauty of a watch.

@WNR: I do not like the blue version of this watch at all! lol its funny how colour can make such a huge difference. The black version is literally the perfect watch for me. LOVE black. Looks good with anything :D

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have the bronze version and it sure looks gorgeous. I myself was looking at blue tropic, as the black one is out of stock, but since i wanted a bronze watch as well, this one ticked all the boxes :)

I am not a fan of Japanese movements, but since tropic is not available with eta (other halios watches had eta movement, it seems jason could not get one to use it in tropic) i had to get the myota, and it is great, super accurate, and from what i read easy to maintain and reliable, so no need to worry there...

Here is my wrist shot btw, wearing one on a nato strap on my outing :)

·
Premium Member
36,086 Posts
That make very nice dive watches for sure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was told Tropik SS new run and Delfin are coming late June and the new Tropik B late July.... An expensive Summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I've owned both a Laguna and a Tropik, so I've got some good experience with the brand.

Mine was a black dialed SS model. Here's a pic of it on my wrist:

My opinion on the Tropik, take or or leave it, is that while it is undoubtedly well made (except the lume, which was disappointing), it's kinda a 'vanilla' watch. It was one of those classic stories where I loved it before getting it on my wrist, then when I finally had it on It just didn't sing to me like I'd expected it to when I bought it. Handsome? Yes. Exciting to wear? In my opinion it was not, so I flipped mine.

Another thing is that I bought the watch thinking that I'd be able to buy a bracelet for it within a week or so of receiving it, but big Halios surprise, the shipment was delayed! So that was the last straw that led me to give mine up.

If you've got any questions about Halios or the Tropik I'd be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've owned both a Laguna and a Tropik, so I've got some good experience with the brand.

Mine was a black dialed SS model. Here's a pic of it on my wrist:

My opinion on the Tropik, take or or leave it, is that while it is undoubtedly well made (except the lume, which was disappointing), it's kinda a 'vanilla' watch. It was one of those classic stories where I loved it before getting it on my wrist, then when I finally had it on It just didn't sing to me like I'd expected it to when I bought it. Handsome? Yes. Exciting to wear? In my opinion it was not, so I flipped mine.

Another thing is that I bought the watch thinking that I'd be able to buy a bracelet for it within a week or so of receiving it, but big Halios surprise, the shipment was delayed! So that was the last straw that led me to give mine up.

If you've got any questions about Halios or the Tropik I'd be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability.
Thanks for the input! You're not the first person to say that its a boring watch..hmm...maybe I will keep looking. The Delphin looks pretty cool....Anybody have any idea of what the price may be??

·
Premium Member
14,479 Posts
Great thread. I know the brand is very young, but so far they are holding their value.....some of them go for more now, on the used market, than they did new.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts