WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone here have hands-on experience with the Laco Pilot Watches Special Models?
I quite like the look of them, specially the JU and the Bell X-1... I would like to buy used but they don't come out very often...
Is that because no one buys them or because they are great and no one sells them?
Anyway any feedback about these models is appreciated... Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi,
I see its been a few months since the original post, and unless Im reading the forum wrong I cannot see that you have any replies, which is ironic given your question. I have a few Laco flieger's, including the Spirit of St Louis. I have to say that I like this watch a lot. When I was looking to buy it, there was almost no information or reviews on it. In the end I just took a punt on it and ended up really liking it. I suspect that its such a niche product that it sells in very small numbers, which is probably why it costs more than their 'standard' basic fliegers. I think, unless you are a real aviation fan, and can appreciate the historical significance of cockpit dial watches, paying the price for a watch with an absolute basic non hacking Miyota movement is a bit of an ask. I have to say the strap is an absolute horror. It was so stiff I could not even wrap it around my somewhat skinny wrists. It also has quite an industrial aesthetic, with the PVD being flat with no sheen. Its not like their standard pvd coated fliegers with a sheen and the texture of the brushed steel shining through. So unless you are after a horological reflection on aviation history, enjoy the industrial look it presents and are prepared to pay a fair bit for a basic Miyota movement then the watch may not satisfy you. My experience is that it also runs pretty fast compared to my other fliegers. All said and done, this watch probably spends more time on my wrist than a lot of my watches, and I do really appreciate it. It is unusual, has a story behind it, and is made by a company with aviation pedigree. I would certainly not hesitate in recommending one (on the proviso you get a new strap).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts