WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the style of the Sub (who doesn't?) but I would never spend that much money on a watch (not that I could right now anyways). I was reading good things about the Steinhart Ocean One on a previous thread and it looks really nice and a great deal at around $500. What do you guys who own the real thing think about homages? Thanks for your time and opinions. :-!

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
What would you describe a real homage as?
A real homage is a watch that draws inspiration from another watch, but does not copy it wholesale, and has its own distinctive flair.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
If you like the look of a particular watch, and you buy a watch that's influenced (heavily even), by that design, enjoy it. It's a classic look for a really good reason. I for one don't have a huge problem with it.

I would, however, browse around the Dive watch forum here. There are a lot of really cool, and novel, designs out there for not much money (check out the Zixen nitrox for instance, or the Aquadive BSs), or the incredible watches that Halios (their new Tropik, in particular, is stunning) keeps churning out - for substantially less. I'm not saying don't buy a Sub Homage - but I do think you might find something that suits you just as well... if not better.

Zixen Watch
HALIOS Vancouver - Dive + Sport Watches | Mechanical Dive + Sport Watches
AQUADIVE WATCHES

Reactions: ljb187 and J.Harris

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A real hom
age is a watch that draws inspiration from another watch, but does not copy it wholesale, and has its own distinctive flair.
Gotcha. So there are no real homages out there? Hm, that's surprising.

·
Registered
27,121 Posts
There are a few threads on this OP if you dig around, pretty sure the name is something like "best submariner homage" and if memory set is it might even be a sticky in one of the forums, hard for me to check right now cause I'm using tapatalk.

FWIW I used to own a Debaufre Ocean1 and an Invicta 8926, they weren't bad watches at all.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
Gotcha. So there are no real homages out there? Hm, that's surprising.
Sure there are. According to mleok's definition, a lot of what Tudor is putting out, the Heritage Line, would be considered homage watches - harkening back to great watches of an earlier era.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Their watches. Homages don't constitute some sort of great moral crises here. If you like the look of a particular watch, and you buy a watch that's influenced (heavily even), by that design, enjoy it. It's a classic look for a really good reason.

I would, however, browse around the Dive watch forum here. There are a lot of really cool, and novel, designs out there for not much money (check out the Zixen nitrox for instance, or the Aquadive BSs), or the incredible watches that Halios (their new Tropik, in particular, is stunning) keeps churning out - for substantially less. I'm not saying don't buy a Sub Homage - but I do think you might find something that suits you just as well... if not better.

Zixen Watch
HALIOS Vancouver - Dive + Sport Watches | Mechanical Dive + Sport Watches
AQUADIVE WATCHES
Thanks for your reply! I have actually been looking into Halios quite a bit, specifically the model you mentioned 'Tropik'. It is a really, really nice watch. I will look into the other brands you provided. I have lots of time before I am going to make this purchase so I will do my hunting thoroughly (the watch will be a gift to myself when I graduate my Air Force training). Cheers buddy!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure there are. According to mleok's definition, a lot of what Tudor is putting out, the Heritage Line, would be considered homage watches - harkening back to great watches of an earlier era.
I know there is I was just being a smart-ass because the first person to reply said there are no real homages ;) lol

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
Exactly, I think of the Tudor Black Bay as an excellent homage watch.

Reactions: Arthur M

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
What would you describe a real homage as?
Any watch made to show or demonstrate some kind of respect or dedication to someone or something, not just trying to make money by jumping on the bandwagon. When I spoke to Günther years ago he confirmed that he could not have been able to start up his business without the look-a-likes. So it was not at all intended to pay homage to the R'x Sub, the only intention was to make money.

The Sub of today is a real homage to the Subs of former times.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think mkII has done watches that could be considered homages as opposed to copies. I like them quite a bit, whereas I don't think I'd go for a Steinhart or Squale.

·
Premium Member
21,829 Posts
I think mkII has done watches that could be considered homages as opposed to copies. I like them quite a bit, whereas I don't think I'd go for a Steinhart or Squale.
I think some of the MKIIs are pretty much copies, but some of the others can be considered homages.

For example, this is the Rolex MilSub,

and this MKII seems like a pretty blatant copy of it,

but the new Fulcrum has a slightly more distinctive take on it,

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I have actually been looking into Halios quite a bit, specifically the model you mentioned 'Tropik'. It is a really, really nice watch. I will look into the other brands you provided. I have lots of time before I am going to make this purchase so I will do my hunting thoroughly (the watch will be a gift to myself when I graduate my Air Force training). Cheers buddy!
Definitely a great reason to buy a watch - and an early congrats as well!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I would def browse the dive watch forum before making a purchase. There are a lot interesting watches (big brands and micro brands) that are discussed over there that are really affordable.

1 - 20 of 167 Posts