WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want your opinions. I realize that we all come from different economic backgrounds. Some of us have cash to burn and some don't. I for one wish I did have the resources to do so. What I'm looking to do right now is pick your brains as far as "do you think that the SBDC023 and SBDC025 are maybe priced a little too high", considering how long they have been out?

Don't get me wrong they are both great watches for the money, but darn, the prices haven't come down at all since they have been out. What gives? any opinions or clues why the prices are holding so firm?

I just want your opinions. Do you think that it is time the prices come down a bit so we can enjoy these 2 watches on our wrists and in our collections. :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I just want your opinions. I realize that we all come from different economic backgrounds. Some of us have cash to burn and some don't. I for one wish I did have the resources to do so. What I'm looking to do right now is pick your brains as far as "do you think that the SBDC023 and SBDC025 are maybe priced a little too high", considering how long they have been out?

Don't get me wrong they are both great watches for the money, but darn, the prices haven't come down at all since they have been out. What gives? any opinions or clues why the prices are holding so firm?

I just want your opinions. Do you think that it is time the prices come down a bit so we can enjoy these 2 watches on our wrists and in our collections.

Currently, i have 2 monster, gen 1 OM and gen 2 Dracula. I have a Sumo too.

What you discussing here are their Prospex series monster, we all know it has a better movement... but to me their performance into the sea are the same.

The price is pricey to me.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I agree. I just got off Amazon and Ebay and guess what? They want $700.00 - $800.00 for a 1st gen OM. The world is going MAD I tell you. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
What I'm looking to do right now is pick your brains as far as "do you think that the SBDC023 and SBDC025 are maybe priced a little too high", considering how long they have been out?
I don't get the value proposition either. They're priced higher than a Sumo, with the same movement.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
I believe the 3rd gen. Monsters SBDC023/025 had just one initial production run of September 2014 (serial numbers start with "49") and were then discontinued shortly after release.

They're priced exactly as Sumo and are comparable to that model in terms of build quality and components. The cyclops, contrary to the incessant negative chatter it generates around here, is really only an added bonus and advantage over Sumos.

Given all this, it is very likely that the current price is going to rise as stock depletes in time.

Here's an ace shot of Radar1's pretty Monster

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I believe the 3rd gen. Monsters SBDC023/025 had just one initial production run of September 2014 (serial numbers start with "49") and were then discontinued shortly after release.
Interesting. Had no idea they were already discontinued, I thought they were still current models.

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
The gen 3 Monsters are nice but that's all they are - nice. In retrospect perhaps I should have spent the money that the 023 cost on another gen 2 and something else.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What Airwatch said makes sense. Haven't seen that many of them around, it's possible they were limited production to begin with or the price was too high and sales were poor so Seiko discontinued them, but if they all do have the same production date that would support the idea of a limited run.

Either way, prices are too high for what you get; the sumo has superior case finishing and lume at around the same price.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes indeed, this little bugger is quite a head turner. I really would like to get a 023 and a 025 but summer taxes will be here before I know it. I was pricing the 1st gen OM last night after I posted this one, and they are going for new with papers and tags $700.00 to $800.00, do you think that this is a little overkill? I mean lets face it they are no longer produced, right? WoW, I want them all, that should be my middle name. No stress, all fun right?

·
Registered
248 Posts
For those here who've had the first or second gen, I'm curious, is the case/bezel quality any better on the Gen3? Not that the Monsters are shabby, but the action on the bezel is just sloppy compared to the sumo. However, if it's improved... that is worth considering to me.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes the feel of the bezel on the 1st and 2nd Monster's are different than the Somo. I think that is just the way that they are. Not really being better than the other. I myself find that the feel for the Sumo is more appealing to me, but on the other hand when I take my afternoon walks I find that the bezel on the monster does it was meant to. As far as the 3rd gen Monster, I really couldn't tell you as of right now.

·
Premium Member
71,391 Posts
For those here who've had the first or second gen, I'm curious, is the case/bezel quality any better on the Gen3? Not that the Monsters are shabby, but the action on the bezel is just sloppy compared to the sumo. However, if it's improved... that is worth considering to me.
The differences between the gen 2 and gen 3 (movement aside) are largely cosmetic and the case quality and bezel action seem just the same to me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The differences between the gen 2 and gen 3 (movement aside) are largely cosmetic and the case quality and bezel action seem just the same to me.
That's understandable, and disappointing, but not unexpected. If they'd improved the bezel so it wasn't quite so... floppy and inconsistent I might consider selling my gen2 and saving some dough for one.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I had the 023 and it was a nice watch, just a Monster with a limited run low production attraction about it. Think I paid $380 for it brand new. I liked the 6R15 and date-only dial but didn't like the cyclops, everything else was standard issue Monster. I swapped in a Sumo seconds hand and domed sapphire crystal which resulted in the nicest Monster on the face of the Earth (sounds like a monkey in a silk suit!!). I'd buy one again but not for more than $380 BNIB.

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
I had the 023 and it was a nice watch, just a Monster with a limited run low production attraction about it. Think I paid $380 for it brand new. I liked the 6R15 and date-only dial but didn't like the cyclops, everything else was standard issue Monster. I swapped in a Sumo seconds hand and domed sapphire crystal which resulted in the nicest Monster on the face of the Earth (sounds like a monkey in a silk suit!!). I'd buy one again but not for more than $380 BNIB.

That is the perfect mod for that watch. Well done!

·
Registered
229 Posts
So, these are not in production anymore and so you can't find the 3rd gen at "normal msrp" anymore? Is that a reasonable assessment?
Thanks for the insight.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
611 Posts
So, these are not in production anymore and so you can't find the 3rd gen at "normal msrp" anymore? Is that a reasonable assessment?
Thanks for the insight.
Normal MSRP is higher for 3rd Gen monsters because they're Japanese domestic market only. They'll still readily available at the customary 30% off MSRP for Seiko JDM watches.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't see why i'll buy 500€ this particular monster when i can have the 2nd gen for 180€.
This model is interesting if you only want a 6r15 movement or if you are a collector.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't see why i'll buy 500€ this particular monster when i can have the 2nd gen for 180€.
This model is interesting if you only want a 6r15 movement or if you are a collector.
You're comparing the full MSRP of one watch with the grey market price of another.

At an authorized dealer, the SRP Monsters are a $350 watch. The SBDC Monsters cost about $100 more and yet get a nicer dial and movement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts