WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I would like to have some comments about this Omega. I found it at the bay while looking for a 30th birthday present for myself. I would like to find a nice vintage watch but my budget is a bit restriced. I've around $500 to spend.
This is one of the options that I've found but there's something about it that doesn't feel right. That's why I would like to have some opinions.
And if you could also make me some suggestions, It would be great.
Be looking at this Omega, you can see the type of watches that I like: simple, classic, timeless (can you call a watch timeless?:)).
Can you recommend something from around my birth year (1982)?
Thanks in advance.

Regards and happy holidays.

HdC

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The watch in the listing looks pretty good except for one thing. According to the Jules Borel database, the correct movement should be the cal. 610, not the 601. The only major difference between the two movements is the date feature. So it might be worth the effort to ask the seller if there is a mistake in the listing.

Here's another Ref. 14724 that sold recently:

1960 18K SOLID GOLD CASED OMEGA GENEVE 17 JEWELLED WRIST WATCH IN WORKING ORDER | eBay

In my experience, Argentina is one of those countries where one needs to be very careful when it comes to vintage watches. A lot of strange combinations of parts seem to come from there.

Don't have any suggestions in a mechanical Omega circa 1982. By then a great majority of Omega's sales were quartz watches.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
If you aren't dead set on an Omega, Certina made similar looking pieces:

This one is solid gold (1973):

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for you input.

Gatorpca, I just don't "feel right" about this piece. I don't know how to explain it.
Marrick, I'm not dead set on any brand, just the style. I would like something from my year. I prefer mechanical but a there are some cool quartz pieces from the 80's.
Any more suggestions?

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,639 Posts
My suggestion would be that a birth year watch is one that you are going to keep for many, many years. I don't know how long a quartz watch can continue to function and be repairable.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
For the price and year as mentioned a lot of quartz wars going on then. Only others were high end watches but will cost more to buy. A good option would be a seiko, dont know if they did a higher end model at the price you have. If wanting a birth watch I think you may need to save up more for a good quality mechanical watch for those years to then last you many years to come.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Joeuk and Mirius, thanks for your opinions.
I do prefer a mechanical watch. The only problem is that the 80's were a bad time for the mechanical watch industry. Quartz ruled those ages. :) When I say cool quartz, I mean something like these:
omegaf300.jpg SpaceviewB.jpg
That's why I'm asking for recommendations... The budget available can go up if I find a piece that's worth it.
What kind of Seiko do you suggest, Joeuk?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The accutron isn't a quartz.

Just being an ass, but ya... :-d
It isn't? I tought that you had two types of accutrons: the electronically controled tunning-fork and the electronically quartz-controlled tunning-fork. So this one must be one of the non-quartz... Sorry :)

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
The tuning fork watches are great, but only concern if I was buying is the parts problem. Also remember to save some money for a service. The seiko I was thinking was a Grand seiko but again these still sell at high prices. Seiko do a few watches from those years at great prices you may even be able to buy one with built in mechanical alarm think its called a bellmatic. They made many in different styles a good search will show you the styles. Titus also did a tuning fork but dont know the years of make if you are still interested in the tuning fork. Such a hard year esp at the price you want to spend. Yes you can pick up some cheaper priced watches for your years e.g seiko 5 very cheap to buy, sekonda were still making mechanical watches at very good prices and not bad quality, even watches made in china like seagul. Tissot would be another cheaper then omega but still good quality, but again cant mention what watches were coming out in those years by Tissot.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tuning fork watches are great, but only concern if I was buying is the parts problem. Also remember to save some money for a service. The seiko I was thinking was a Grand seiko but again these still sell at high prices. Seiko do a few watches from those years at great prices you may even be able to buy one with built in mechanical alarm think its called a bellmatic. They made many in different styles a good search will show you the styles. Titus also did a tuning fork but dont know the years of make if you are still interested in the tuning fork. Such a hard year esp at the price you want to spend. Yes you can pick up some cheaper priced watches for your years e.g seiko 5 very cheap to buy, sekonda were still making mechanical watches at very good prices and not bad quality, even watches made in china like seagul. Tissot would be another cheaper then omega but still good quality, but again cant mention what watches were coming out in those years by Tissot.
Thanks for your input, Joeuk.
I've been looking at those Titus and tunnig fork watches but the same thing concerns me.
I haven't thought about the Grand Seiko but they are indeed fine pieces. Like this one:
gs1.jpg gs2.jpg
Do you know how can I find the making year of the watch? Maybe with those serial numbers engraved in the caseback?Tissot is also a brand that I like. I have to keep looking.
Keep the suggestions flowing.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts