WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think. Came across this at a consignment shop. Seller is asking $2k. Not sure about the rusted tritium lume marker though. It's selling at $1.4-2k on bay.. ant experts here in regards to Walkman watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts
Looks good aesthetically. I miss mine for sure.

$2k seems high, but you're always gonna get gouged by a storefront. You could try to get him down a few hundred. Consider if the movement needs to be serviced as that will be another $500+ if you're into that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
13,462 Posts
Most important and before all ask movement pictures. 1400 -1500$ should be a fair prices but overhaul for a valjoux 730 is expensive. For the overhaul, I can advise Bob Ridley from watchmakers international.

·
Premium Member
7,571 Posts
Looks pretty good so far, with a couple of minor things. The lugs should not have a brushed finish, so somebody has been messing with it. Also, most likely the hands have been replaced or re-lumed at some point. Neither of these things are deal-breakers necessarily. You should definitely try to get a look at the movement. The caseback is in very good condition.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Prices on these have climbed a nice chunk in the past couple years. You could pick them up in decent condition for the neighborhood of $1k back then, but now forget it. While condition always affects value in any vintage watch, the really nice Wakman triple date's are commanding a good premium over average or fair condition. Problem being that far more of the examples out there are fair to average vs. excellent.

Often the dials on these are soiled / spotted, particularly around the outer white rim and subdials. Markers can have patina, but thats not really a bad thing if its natural and even age. Like the other forum member above noted, movement pictures are a must on this watch. Its pretty complex and not a cheap movement to have serviced. $2k appears a but of a stretch based on the condition in the images you provided, so passing was likely a good move. Now if the movement is clean and running well and you could talk it to $1500 or so, could be worth looking into further as I have seen far worse examples selling for that and more.

Its a fantastic watch if you find the right example and worth the wait and extra $$ for a clean one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts