WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

not so long ago i was asked by Guenter Steinhart to design a professional dive watch for him. being a big fan of dive watches, i knew pretty fast what i wanted and started drawing.
fortunately, what i wanted it to look like, was also, what mr. Seinhart wanted it to look like. i can't tell you guys how excited i am about the whole project. a dive watch exactely the way i want it and its being built to my specs in switzerland ... WOW!
for the last couple of days i had the handbuilt prototype of the case including the india rubber strap that will come with the watch here at my studio. naturally i wore it constantly. except on tuesday night, when i went to see a concert (Archive). luckily my wife made me aware, that i should maybe strap on something else for that occasion ... just in case. imagine me losing the only prototype of the case in a dark club. after taking a load of pictures i sent it back to Steinhart the following day.

but i'm drifting off now. here are some specs for you:
45mm stainless steel case
24mm lugwidth
about 14 to 16mm thick
60 click uni-directional bezel
Sellita SW 200 automatic movement
saphire crystal (probably slightly domed)
choice of black or orange dial layout
antimagnetic
water resistant to 30 atm

on to the pictures. some photoshopping was needed to add the dials and hands. the crown shown is not the one that will be used on the final product. it will be a lot better looking. hope you like it!

i realize, that some of you will find clues to other watches. if i wasn't such a big dive watch fan, that might have turned out different. i still tried to be as original as possible. you may be the judge if i succeeded in this task.

please don't hold back on your opinions, i can take it (i hope:)

ps: please don't ask me about a price, it has not been set yet. but as some of you may know, Steinhart watches are priced very reasonably.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Much prefer the black face, especially the 2 tone lume. Excellent watch! Am a little undecided as to whether or not the minute hand is a touch too overbearing. Maybe a slimmed down hand would be more understated.

But nice job!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I would absolutely buy the black dial version. When will they debut? Any idea on pricepoint?

·
Registered
638 Posts
What I think.....

The specs all look pretty good...here's what I think...

GOOD
45mm size & 24mm lugwidth
300m
Antimagnetic
Overall case design & bezel

BAD
Font choice on dial...never been a big fan of mixing serif and sans serif fonts...it kinda makes the dial look like a font catalog!
While I like the "03" and "09", I really wish they had left out the damn date wheel and put in an "06" to balance the dial out.

If it were me, this is what I'd like to see...

vs.

It's probably not reasonable to think Steinhart would change the font they use in their name (but they should!), so I let that sit, but their logo really needs help (in my not-so-humble opinion) so I nuked it and moved the name up slightly! I also took out the unnecessary "Automatic" from the dial and took out the date wheel and inserted an "06" instead. Finally, I dumped the "1000ft" and left the simpler and as-informative "300m".

So...is anyone from Steinhart out there? Anyone?? Bueller???

BT

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would absolutely buy the black dial version. When will they debut? Any idea on pricepoint?
glad you like!

it will be out by march '07 at the latest (hope its finished sooner, as i will get the first one :) )
the only thing i can say about the price is, that it will be below $1K

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
A really good looking watch!
I liked Brad's version but I'd leave the date wheel and downsize the "Triton" name some

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: What I think.....

The specs all look pretty good...here's what I think...

GOOD
45mm size & 24mm lugwidth
300m
Antimagnetic
Overall case design & bezel

BAD
Font choice on dial...never been a big fan of mixing serif and sans serif fonts...it kinda makes the dial look like a font catalog!
While I like the "03" and "09", I really wish they had left out the damn date wheel and put in an "06" to balance the dial out.

It's probably not reasonable to think Steinhart would change the font they use in their name (but they should!), so I let that sit, but their logo really needs help (in my not-so-humble opinion) so I nuked it and moved the name up slightly! I also took out the unnecessary "Automatic" from the dial and took out the date wheel and inserted an "06" instead. Finally, I dumped the "1000ft" and left the simpler and as-informative "300m".

So...is anyone from Steinhart out there? Anyone?? Bueller???

BT
Brad, thank you so much for you comments and your opinion, i highly appreciate them!

the date vs. 06: i thought about this a lot and came to the conclusion, that a date is more of a feature than a static number, thus being more useful. i would discuss this matter with mr. Steinhart, if the dials were'nt already in production.
the Steinhart Logo: i fully agree with you, i never liked the logo and would love to change it. but since mr. Steinhart designed it himself, i don't dare to mention this matter to him.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Re: What I think.....

"...that a date is more of a feature than a static number, thus being more useful..." and "...i never liked the logo and would love to change it. but since mr. Steinhart designed it himself, i don't dare to mention this matter to him..."
To have a date for me has NEVER been a useful feature. I find that more often than not, a date wheel simply make a dial more complicated, especially if a magnifying cyclops is added. But again, I'm probably in the minority on this point.

However, as to the other thing...I guess you gotta pick your battles, but that logo is just wrong! At some point, even the Boss has to hear bad news, especially if it could affect the bottom line. Redesigning a logo isn't exactly the worst thing that could happen to a VERY small watch company, is it?!!

BT

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'd be interested in the black dial for sure.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I too like the black dial. I also like the minute hand and the hollow second hand. I hope you push for the domed crystal, and make it AR, too. And I'm anti-datewheel on a tool diver. What, are we going to be filling out forms and doing paperwork underwater?

March 07 is perfect, just in time for Father's Day. It's nice to plan your calendar around watch purchases.

Curious about the movement. I'm not familiar with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I really like this one, Triton. Please keep us updated on release date and
pricing information. If the price is right I think I may jump on one.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I like the case and the bezel, but the dial looks a bit unsteady (hope everyone knows what I mean). I would prefer a cleaner dial without a date window.
regards
Joerg

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone for your opinions, i really appreciate it!

so far, the orange dial Triton is not receiving any love, so maybe it won't see the light of day. too bad, cause the dial is kinda cool. the light orange and white indices will be printed in superluminova to make the dial glow like nothing you've ever seen.

boy, i would swear i was looking at a variation of the ocean 7:think:
hi tallguy, i knew this was coming. here's the story then: a few weeks after the design process on the triton was finished, someone pointed me to the ocean 7 website. when i saw the picture of the LM1, i was shocked, because the dials of the two watches where almost identical (Omega influence obviously). case and bezel where different enough, but we decided to kill our original dial in favor of the LM1 and so i designed the dial you see in the pictures now, which i think is a lot different to the LM1's dial design.
the triton is a dive watch, and although influenced by others, we tried to be as original as possible in its design. but in order to sell a product, it should appeal to as many potential customers as possible. simple economics.
for those who think the black dial triton is too much influenced by other watches, we designed the orange dial very differently, very unique even, i think. but as you can see, its not appealing to anyone and thus might not make it into production. with so many watches around, its really rather tough to be original and appealing to a wide audience at the same time.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
As someone wiser than all of us once said, "There is nothing new under the sun."

Watches have been with us for so long that it's nearly impossible to be completely original, but this one is different enough that no one should mistake it for an Ocean7 or anything else if they're wearing their glasses. ;-)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Well, I suppose there has to be at least one differing opinion but I like the orange dial, primarily because it is uncluttered...no problems with fonts, and other things. Having worked for many years in graphic design, I agree with Brad Trent: mixing fonts and sizes adds more to the confusion than anything else. Simple is much better. My only minor "niggle" is that the numbers on the bezel are a little small.

I am a current owner of a Steinhart Ocean 1, which I like alot but as we all know is similar in styling to a Rolex. This new diver design definitely makes the brand stand out...I'd buy one.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
thanks everyone for your opinions, i really appreciate it!

so far, the orange dial Triton is not receiving any love, so maybe it won't see the light of day. too bad, cause the dial is kinda cool. the light orange and white indices will be printed in superluminova to make the dial glow like nothing you've ever seen.

hi tallguy, i knew this was coming. here's the story then: a few weeks after the design process on the triton was finished, someone pointed me to the ocean 7 website. when i saw the picture of the LM1, i was shocked, because the dials of the two watches where almost identical (Omega influence obviously). case and bezel where different enough, but we decided to kill our original dial in favor of the LM1 and so i designed the dial you see in the pictures now, which i think is a lot different to the LM1's dial design.
the triton is a dive watch, and although influenced by others, we tried to be as original as possible in its design. but in order to sell a product, it should appeal to as many potential customers as possible. simple economics.
for those who think the black dial triton is too much influenced by other watches, we designed the orange dial very differently, very unique even, i think. but as you can see, its not appealing to anyone and thus might not make it into production. with so many watches around, its really rather tough to be original and appealing to a wide audience at the same time.
well said:-! |>

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think trying to "unclutter" the colors/fonts/sizes of fonts/shapes would help a bit. it just seems very "busy," and i'm not sure if that jives with simplicity of the strap and the case.

Overall, I think it will be great. For a 1st draft, i like it, and would like to see the design progress further!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts