WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Still weighing up my options. Stuck between a Tag F1 the new 2016 line, and the Auto Aquaracer. I have read good things about the Longines Hydroconquest but so 100% sure about it. Also to add the complication are steel bracelets better than rubber?

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
I am not extremely familiar with the F1 line, but as an owner of an Aquaracer I can confidently say its a sturdy, versatile, nice looking watch that I can't complain about for the price point

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Can you post pictures of the three exact watches of the lines you are considering?

Off the top of my head I disqualify the F1 simply because i think the other two are better watches. This is not to say the F1 is not a good line of watches but they are not positioned in the same way the other two lines u suggested are.

If you tend to lean towards diver watches Oris makes a few you might want to look into as well that fit the general price range. So does Mido.

As for the steel vs rubber question... Personal preference. I would LOVE a rubber strap on a watch. They look good... But I cant stand the way they feel. So for me its steel. You can also wear a steel bracelet sport watch to work in most cases. Rubber is a bit eh to me but in the world of the apple watch and fitbit even that is not weird anymore.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha ha I know what you mean its just rubber is not breathable so that is what is putting me off. I had a look at the Oris Watches very nice however they seem they heavy and chunky and I dont like the idea not being able to fit after market straps.

How to Hamilton fair up are they a good watch?

The only thing with the Tag's is that I think some of them are very expensive for what you get. Have you got the quartz or Auto version of the Aquaracer?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Two local jewelers near me have both in the shop window. I must say, the aquaracer looks fenomenal. The hydroconquest not so much... but didn't hold them in my hands so might not be a totally representative comparison. But from the shop window the markers on the longines just seemed to reflect the light not as crisp, looked cheap somehow. Same for the bezel (but that's probably just my personal preference for ceramic over coated bezels). I really like the case with those crown guards on the longines though.

The bezel finish on the tag looks amazing, a quadrillion times better than in the pic above btw, can't understand why manufacturers always present their watches so dreadfully in those pics...

Edit: btw, I'd opt for the bracelet on both, but especially on the tag, looks amazing together with that steel bezel imho. Didn't like the polished center links in the longines bracelet, but you could always brush that ;)

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Of the above two options I say get the Tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
You might have a look at the Oris Aquis...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Certainly no F1 for me....I've never been a fan of TAG, but Aquaracer looks pretty nice.
Personally I like Hydroconquest the most. Oris Aquis is also a great watch with remarkable value, but those integrated lugs kind of kill it---that's why I sold mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed on the Oris tried one on today. I feel its too heavy. Very disappointed in the TAG's tried the new F1 Calibre 5 on rrp £1,300, I tired it on at several stores and every single one I tried had a terrible finish on the strap.

Where the watch strap connects to the case it was very rough/sharp not acceptable on a watch of that cost in my opinion. I am now looking at A Hamilton Khaki Auto and Christopher ward C60 trident. Anyone on here owned either.
Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 22.27.51.jpg Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 22.26.41.jpg

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I own a trident and have it for sale right now (not the Black you're probably looking for). Not for sale because its a bad watch, its absolutely awesome in fact, but I simply can't wear it comfortably. I have a thread in the affordables forum describing my thoughts on it. (You'll probably find it if you search my threads).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Wimads, when you say comfortably how do you mean? watch is just not a good fit. How would you say it compares to a Hamilton?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I have no experience with Hamiltons, so cant comment on that. Though finish is at least on par or better than Hamilton.

About the comfort: the watch is quite heavy for the size (I have the 38mm version). I wear it on a strap, so that might make it top heavy making it tend to wobble a bit more than on the bracelet. I have a rather flat wrist and pronounced wrist bone. The lugs are shorter than the width of my wrist, and curve down quite a bit, so the upper right lug hits my wrist bone all the time, even leaving a mark after a day of wearing it. Also the case back is quit thick and angular, this might play a role in it as well, but not sure.
I'm sure it would be better on the 42mm variant, more balanced and no lugs hitting my wrist bone. But I actually prefer the smaller diameter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is it similar to an Oris Aquis in weight? If so might be to much for me I want my watch to feel comfortable not like im weight lifting....

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Never tried oris either, but you probably could find the weight in their specifications.
To me its rather heavy, but I also used to have a Kenneth Cole before my WIS time, that was heavier, but wore quite comfortably due to a much more fluent case back, and probably also because it was balanced by a solid steel bracelet.
So I'd say it depends on the shape of your wrist for large part as well as on wearing it with a bracelet or not.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Additionally, the 600m water-resistance has to be accomplished in some way... in this case it's done by adding a bunch of steel to the case... the older generation (300m) was 1mm thinner because of the case back...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One other option I have considered is the Longine's Conquest with an Italian rubber strap. I have seen this picture of someone who has done it looks smart I think... Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 00.02.48.jpg

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I love the numerals and those crown guards on longines' conquest models. Wish they'd do something more interesting color wise though... was debating the hydroconquest to replace my C60, but its just not spicy enough... but that's just my taste

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Wimads, when you say comfortably how do you mean? watch is just not a good fit. How would you say it compares to a Hamilton?
Hi, sorry for jumped into your thread. Never been to Longines thread before. But recently in love with this piece.

Anyway, back to your point. Tag vs Longines = Longines all the way mate.

I have a Tag. It's a good watch. I was in the market for Heuer 01 and Carrera. But at the end of the day, I just feel that Tag is just a good watch. That's it. No exclusivity or anything.

Longines on the other hand, with their price point, it seems that they're exclusive, expensive and classy. Feels that they are more expensive compare to their price tag. Try them on and you'll know what I mean.

Thus, it's Longines Hydroquest for me compare to the Tags. Further, in the long run, Longines hold their value better than Tag. But if it's a Heuer, that's a different story. .

Regarding Ward vs Hammy, I'll pick Hamilton at any given day. I have a Khaki X-wind Chrono as my daily beater. I'm a Field Engineer. So when I beat a watch, I beat her real bad. Bump to a machine several times, soak in oil then washed my hand with water and soap, etc. After 4+ years, this is what she looks like.

Bezel minor scratch, deformed rotating crown, 3 times broken leather straps, tho, machine works fine, saphire crystal un-scratch, and she still serve me every single hard day at the factory. On top of that, she is comfy like hell. Probably sometime in the future, I'll have a Ball as my beater. Heard that they are more tougher than Hammy. But, they are heavier.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts