WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forum so.. hi!

A few months ago I picked up a copy of QP magazine and have since been rapidly gaining an interest in watches (after buying and trying to figure out how my Waltham pocket watch works). I'm now looking into buying my first mechanical wristwatch. Being a physics grad I like to know how something works, I work in the finance industry and am really over-obsessed with my purchase being an investment (I'm very bad at buying something with the prospect that it may not be worth as much should I possibly ever have to sell it), I'm also a part time artist who appreciates aesthetics. Given all these factors I would like be grateful opinions on the following and suggestions of alternatives:

IWC: I wanted the Antoine De Saint Exupery but apparently they sold out before I got a chance to get one, so the Spitfire Chrono-automatic goes on the list. Would I be correct in saying that it is manufacture? I think so, even so is it worth over £1000 /$1950 more than..

Wempe: The Zeitmeister Chronometer. The design appeals to me, it's something I could wear every day. But is the movement any good? The only view I've seen on Valjoux movements was the 7750 (as opposed to the 7753 in this watch) seemed to indicate that it was a bit of a workhorse i.e. nothing special. But is is worth over £800 /$1560 more than..

Nomos: pretty much almost all of the designs I have seen look basic with relatively small faces, but none the less interesting in their simplicity. I understand that some of these the entire movement is in house. Or should I..

Buy one of the orange Hamiltons and forget about even trying to understand the values that are put on watches?

Please throw as much info my way on this as poss.. I'm enjoying finding out about my new hobby!

Thanks
Luke

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Luke,

First of all, welcome to WUS and congrats on starting the walk down the slippery path that is watch collecting. You have an interesting and potentially somewhat conflicting set of foci to bring to the table for your intended watch collection efforts (e.g. science versus aesthetics versus investment).

My collection efforts are mostly premised on aesthetics/intuition (probably 50%), with the remaining 50% split evenly between science (the movement, case, etc) and investment (the brand, cachet, etc). As you point out, watches are subjective and the balance between competing influences and desires is difficult to ask one's opinion on because it's all so personal.

Anyway, based on the little that I know of these three bands and models you've proposed, I would go with the IWC Spitfire Chrono simply because of the cachet and engineering that has gone into it. It's a great looking timepeice and will be something that you'll wear for many years to come. I find Nomos interesting but somewhat too eclectic for me. And I really do not know much about Wempe. But this is my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt!

Probably not much help to you, but it's so intuitive. Best of luck with your decision and let us know.

Regards,

James

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
IWC is often referred to as the most German of the Swiss watches for their assistance in helping get the industry revamped post unification as at the end of WWII the Russian destroyed most of the German watchmaking houses.

You seem to like the Germans and the IWC is a swiss but with a German bent for sure.

I am not sure what your final budget is, but have you also considered Glashutte Original? They are a true manufacturer and make many special pieces.

A Lange and Sohne is much higher priced but imminently collectible.

That said, I don't buy watches to invest...I buy them to wear so I
can't answer the collectability question in full.

But it sounds to me like you want to wear the watch you purchase so I would try to buy well so if you decide to sell you don't lose too much. Of course, cherish the watch, care for and maintain it, etc, wipe it when you take it off, learn how to wind properly if it is mechanical, etc.

Watchmaking is a pure art form and you will love it.

sorry for the long ramble...much luck in finding your first mechanical.

·
Registered
40,529 Posts
:) Don't look at a watch as an investment. Hit the large watch stores
and put them on. Most of the time they look good in the case, but not
on your wrist. A great brand to start looking at is Jaeger-Le Coultre, it
make a very good benchmark. There're a lot of great watches under
$2K. Once you get the watch-bug, your pocket book is in big trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I'd looked at Jaeger-Le Coutre (the reverso's with the enamel are what I'll buy when I've made my first million, sublime!) but thought price were well out of my league..(looking ideally £1500, max £2500 * 1.95US) the $/GBP rate is pretty good for me right now.. do you know of any good state side retailers that ship to the UK? Although I guess it may be more expensive going chf/us$ then us$ back to GBP.. not sure. Thanks to all for replies, much appreciated although, watchbreath, as you say my wallet is gonna take a hamering!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts