WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Consider the following Polerouter Sub. Direct your attention to the closeup of the dial printing below.

I'm struck by the odd spacing between the "è' and the "v" in "Genève". Now this turns out to be a remarkably common feature, appearing in many examples of this watch across the interwebs - perhaps even the majority. Yet it seems odd to me that something like that would pass UG quality control. Am I overthinking this? I've love to hear what the experts of the forum think. Anyone have one of these to compare?

Many thanks in advance for your opinions.

LouS

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I can see why your concerned. This watch is SO damn sweet that it would be tempting to find any excuse or rationalization to ignore that space and get the watch. I have to say that would seem something doesnt add up. However you yourself can see that the other examples out there have the same exact gap between the e and v.

In light of this research and the other UG ps's out there with the same gap I think you have to conclude that the dial is original. But I do think the inner bezel might have been repainted as the '40' is a tad too close to edge. I have the same situation with my SM chronostop: original dial/re-done bezel. I'm not 100% sure on the bzl. But that dial is ok.

·
Premium Member
12,939 Posts
If the watch has been redialed I always compare it to an original dial so I can see how well it has been redialed.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the watch has been redialed I always compare it to an original dial so I can see how well it has been redialed.
Georges,
I don't think it's been established that this is a redial at all, at least not in my mind. The preponderance of these in pictured examples suggest that it may be a variant. They seem to occur in watches with the straight lug case, which I think is the later of the two cases this watch comes in. An analysis of the movements should confirm that, but I haven't done it yet.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
I don't think it's a redial either. The close-up of the letters shows very fine detail and the ink seems to be raised - a sign of an original. A better photo at a slightly lower angle to the dial with the hands cleared from the vicinity would show that. I don't know enough about UG to comment on them definitively, but by the evidence show in this thread the gap appears to be a variant from the factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts