WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening dear WUS friends, I was just wondering what might be the "perfect" amount of watches in a collection?

To some degree I recon that everyone has one or some watches that carries a sentimental value and therefore Is indesposable. For me the "prefect" no. seems to be 8, wich of 3 is of sentimental value.

how about the rest of you?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
That's a good question.
I've got way too many and am actively starting to downsize.
I would like to end up with maybe 7-8 real quality watches.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think, 7 watches are perfect. Currently, there are 6 in my box and i will never sell one of this beautiful things. That would mean, i can buy only one... :-(

No, 7 are to less, then i say 8 or 9 or 10 or..... :-D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
My collection has eased over 20 a few times, at which point I seem naturally inclined to sell pieces I don't wear and get it back under 20. If I own them, I like to wear them.

·
Registered
11,690 Posts
Dave E said:
If I own them, I like to wear them.
This is an absolute rule for me with watches and everything else I own. If I'm not wearing a particular watch or otherwise using something else, it's gone!

·
Registered
90 Posts
For me, if I don't wear a watch at least once every week I don't need to own it and can let someone else enjoy it.

I only have 2 though. I would say my ideal collection would have 5 or 6 watches in it.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I've had as many as 20, if you count the ones my wife wears (all men's watches). I'm really not sure how many we have now, but it's probably around that number again. A lot of them are inexpensive, relatively.

I only wear a handful of them though(maybe 4), especially now that I'm not in an office job. I found that when I had too many that were "mine" I didn't appreciate them as much as I do now. Lately, I've had the urge to buy another one, but I honestly don't know what I want. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rather than a bunch of subjective opinions, let's simply answer the question with an easy to remember mathematical formula. Let:

OPT be the optimal number of watches in a personal collection, and X be the number of watches currently owned.

The formula is OPT = X + 1.

Got it? :-D

·
Registered
558 Posts
i think 20 Watches is the mental Border i have in my thought, i don't need more of them. :)

in my most crazy times i had about 200 Watches, most of them are Russians,
but i wore only a little part of them. :-(

but i think the Watches till the 20 are a manageable Job for the next years, but possible that one or two watches must go, cause they had not much Wrist-Time :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have over 20 - but would like to get that down a bit.

However - a question
There are the 9 Stowa/Schauers alone (and 2 more on order) - plus GO, Nomos and Temption how would you get down to the optimal figures you are suggesting??

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi -

There is, of course, the corollary, John's Corollary

Let n be the amount of money available for watch purchasing.

Using your nomenclature,

n = opt - 1

whereby n is a real integer...

:)

JohnF

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
It' a collection -- Some you wear regularly, some come out for special occasions.

If you collected stamps or coins or artwork would you set an optimum number?

Steve

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Much has been thought about this number.

Of course, it cannot be defined as such, as it has the same qualities of numbers such as i (square root of -1), e (constant), pi (3.14 you figure the rest of the numbers out), etc.

What is this quality?

It is, of course, an irrational number.

That said, the perfect number of watches is 1. There is out there somewhere the one watch that we all are searching for, the unobtainable. That is the only watch that you'll ever need.

The problem, of course, is that this watch changes everytime you acquire a real, existing watch. Just got that Speedmaster Pro that you've wanted all your life? Someone mentions that there is a Speedmaster Pre-Pro...

So many watches, so little time (and let's not get into money)...

For me, right now, I'm up to #54. Five will disappear from human view this summer as they are given as gifts (Gruen Precision, two Sturmanskies, two Vostok divers); 7 are project watches (in my copious free time); 7-8 are in rotation (although my Poljot Aviator I PVD has been getting a lot of wrist time...) and the rest are ... resting. Some are investment objects (not really, but that's why I justify having them worked on and not selling them...), many are just plain junkers, and I've always got a watch or two that I simply can't part with for nostalgic reasons...

Ideally, I'd have three watches: a Speedmaster Pre-pro, a Breitling Cosmonaut and a Gruen Baron Curvex. All in absolutely pristine shape, of course...

And a Seiko Sk007 as a beater... and ... and... and... and... :)

JohnF

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is no "one-size-fits-all" optimal number. Too personal, too subjective. Some people collect watches for the sake of collecting, not wearing. I don't believe there is a "right" or "optimal" number.

S

·
0 Posts
Optimal no. of watches is always the current no of watches :-D
Currently: About 70.
And the next is already on its way from the US to Berlin (a Sea-Gull).

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
How ever many will fit into this:

Do I actually need to pay for my optimal number?:-D What about the winder...I do not think I could afford that nevermind the watches for itO|

I actually have about 10 watches now...would like to sell a couple and buy a few more I want to settle on 12(That is how many my REAL watch case holds;-) )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts