WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, Ive been putting off the purchase of an orange monster hoping to find a Japanese made model...and a good deal on it at that. Last week during the 20% off sale at Amazon sale I managed to pick one up for 149 shipped. (148.68 to be exact). However, Im anticipating it being a grey market item or malaysian at best. So...do I suck up origin and accept the fantastic deal I got.. or do I send it back if its not Singapore or Japanese built....

and again..forgive me for this question but im looking for opinions.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I say, suck it up and enjoy your good fortune. Mine is on the way from the same sale. I think they're all made in Malaysia.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Amazon Seiko's come with boxes, instruction books and warranty cards, so they are not gray market to the best of my knowledge. Amazon also has a great return policy, so if you get one with any defects, don't fret, just ask for a new one! They make it easy as pie to get a new one. While certian Seiko models have a JDM or Japanese Domestic Model that sell for higher than other Seiko's it has been shown that there is not a quality difference. The parts are sourced from the same place and robots programmed the same way do the work.... OTOH, there aren't any Monsters made in Japan anyway. Actually, I'm not sure where they are made, I just received mine from that same Amazon sale and while it is a very recent build date, they have taken off the origin on the case back....

Here is a pic of my Monster Sept. 07 build date

Here is a pic of the caseback of my SKXA35 with an 05 (although purchased in Nov. 07) build date. This was also purchased on Amazon, had to return the first due to some QC issues, this one was much better. This one has Malaysia as the country Origin

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so back to my original dilemma. The amazon ad says "Japanese movement" If in fact I get a movement from Malaysia... do I return it.. or do I accept that Im not going to get a better made watch and definitely not a better deal than 149 shipped... or do I send it back and wait for that Japanese made monster (the seiko store nearby says that they do exist.. but granted they don't know the difference between a cushion case and "pillow" case).

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
There aren't Japanese made monsters to be found, according to our resident Seiko guru Isthmus. Amazon just has "japan" movement because Seiko is a Japanese brand. There are some Japanese made pillow case divers such as th skx007,009,173... etc... some of these can be had an their J or Japanese variants and usually sell for 20-30 bucks more than others with no noticeable changes in quality. Here is my pillow case Seiko, Malaysia made BTW, I wouldn't pay the premium for Japanese, but it may help resale for the perceived increase in quality...

·
Registered
175 Posts
so back to my original dilemma. The amazon ad says "Japanese movement" If in fact I get a movement from Malaysia... do I return it.. or do I accept that Im not going to get a better made watch and definitely not a better deal than 149 shipped... or do I send it back and wait for that Japanese made monster (the seiko store nearby says that they do exist.. but granted they don't know the difference between a cushion case and "pillow" case).

It's possible that the movement is built in Japan and then the final assembly is completed in Malaysia. This would explain how it is still called 'Japanese Movement'. This is how my Citizen Calibre 2100 was made.

If this is the case, then there should be no variance in quality in terms of the mechanical components of the watch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, My OM is here from amazon. The numbers at the bottom of the dial say 7S26 on one side of the six tic and 2084 R 2 on the other.
The s/n is 722463. On the back is L3 stainless steel seiko 7S26-0350 [AO] divers.

The warranty card from seiko is included in the box but the warranty card from Amazon says "The manufacturers warranty does not apply to this product because we are not an authorized reseller of this watch........." and so on..

So what does that tell us about country of origin or anything else?

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Well I don't know about the Origin, but I hadn't noticed the notice from Amazon stating the warranty wasn't valid... that kind of sucks. I believe those numbers on the dial are the same as mine but you received a 7 month older edition than I did. Not that it matters, just interesting I guess. If you don't mind me asking, why is it so important to know where it was made? I'd be willing to bet the parts were made all over the far east and some of the final assembly took place in either Malaysia or Singapore. The robots that put it together are all the same or have the same programming as those in Japan. So, in short, I'd say in all reality, there isn't just one country of origin.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
So what does that tell us about country of origin or anything else?
It tells us that you are fretting over nothing.

Seiko's robots that build the movements don't really care whether they use Japanese, malaysian or Singapore generated electricity. for watches at this pricepoint, quality controls are instituted company-wide and don't differ because a watch is built in one factory versus another.

The fact is that AFAIK, Monsters are not built in Japan; neither are 7s26 movements; and NO monsters are Japan market models. There is a line of monsters that say Made in Japan on the dial code, but those are for export to arab speaking countries (the alternate language on the dial is Arabic, not Japanese). These watches come out of the exact same factories as the rest of the monster line.

Enjoy your watch and be happy with it. If you have any problems with it, contact Amazon and have them send you a replacement - they are very good about that. If your concern is one about perceived value then there too don't fret, there is no additional value retention between different base model monsters, Beside at this price point value retention is not an issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the input here. Please know that I am not actually "fretting" but simply trying to gather information. I have a pretty good collection of watches started here and have just been putting off picking up the monster until I found one made in Japan. Barring that, I was looking for a great deal.

What I do find interesting is that there is so little hard information about these ubiquitous, must haves...

Anyway, Ive sized it and set it.. its box is put away in the deep recesses of my closet with the 10 or 12 other boxes that may never see the light of day again.... Ill post pics here before too long... You should see the Milemarker I picked up last week!

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Yeah, while they are very popular, I'm not sure if you can figure out where they were made but besides just being a tid bit of knowledge, it really doesn't matter quality wise where it was made. Enjoy the Seikos!

·
Registered
975 Posts
my new OM that i receive yesterday has the same case back like this 1(pic borrow from Muxinick). only the serial number is 6N0319, other then that the tsunami wave, the L3 and the 7s26 are all the same. I don`t care if its Malaysia made or Singapore made as long its a OM and it`s submersible to 200m ( when will i go to that depth?) im very happy with it.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
It should say on the face of the watch either Malaysia or Japan. I'd like to find a Japanese Black Monster as well as weird as that sounds.
I appreciate all the input here. Please know that I am not actually "fretting" but simply trying to gather information. I have a pretty good collection of watches started here and have just been putting off picking up the monster until I found one made in Japan. Barring that, I was looking for a great deal.

What I do find interesting is that there is so little hard information about these ubiquitous, must haves...

Anyway, Ive sized it and set it.. its box is put away in the deep recesses of my closet with the 10 or 12 other boxes that may never see the light of day again.... Ill post pics here before too long... You should see the Milemarker I picked up last week!

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Amazon Seiko's come with boxes, instruction books and warranty cards, so they are not gray market to the best of my knowledge. Amazon also has a great return policy, so if you get one with any defects, don't fret, just ask for a new one! They make it easy as pie to get a new one. While certian Seiko models have a JDM or Japanese Domestic Model that sell for higher than other Seiko's it has been shown that there is not a quality difference. The parts are sourced from the same place and robots programmed the same way do the work.... OTOH, there aren't any Monsters made in Japan anyway. Actually, I'm not sure where they are made, I just received mine from that same Amazon sale and while it is a very recent build date, they have taken off the origin on the case back....

Here is a pic of my Monster Sept. 07 build date

Here is a pic of the caseback of my SKXA35 with an 05 (although purchased in Nov. 07) build date. This was also purchased on Amazon, had to return the first due to some QC issues, this one was much better. This one has Malaysia as the country Origin

what is the difference between the upper pic and the bottom one? i mean issit the movement are different or are the upper one are the newer version then the bottom one ? and why mine has a alphabetic on its serial number?

·
Registered
398 Posts
The center graphic engraving is textured in the top where as its all polished in the bottom.

·
Registered
143 Posts
what is the difference between the upper pic and the bottom one? i mean issit the movement are different or are the upper one are the newer version then the bottom one ? and why mine has a alphabetic on its serial number?
easy - the bottom pic is not from a monster. Look at the crown - the crown is not that of a monster like on the top picture which is a monster.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
why mine has a alphabetic on its serial number?
First digit of serial number is the final number in the year of manufacture, second number is the month of manufacture, except if the month is a two digit month, in which case N and D are used for November and December, respectively. I'm not sure if it is the number 0 or letter O that is used for October...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Btw why my serial case number have an alphabetic while i saw a lot of monster caseback in this forum has numbers only as their serial number? issit mine a bullet proof version???!!! ..... jokin.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
the reason your serial number has a letter in it, is to denote which of the last three months of the year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts