WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase an Orange Monster and have a couple of questions. First, where is the best place to purchase? I bought a Samurai (ti, blue) from higuchi-san, and was impressed with the service (and the watch - it is getting more wrist time than my Breitling diver). Turns out that I can't buy from him (export only), so I need to find another reputable dealer. Second, is the date on the OM in English only? One of my German watches (Schauer Day-Date) has the date in both English and German, and I think this is a pretty cool feature - now I know the first 3 letters of the days of the week in German. Anyway, thanks in advance for the help...

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I am looking to purchase an Orange Monster and have a couple of questions. First, where is the best place to purchase? I bought a Samurai (ti, blue) from higuchi-san, and was impressed with the service (and the watch - it is getting more wrist time than my Breitling diver). Turns out that I can't buy from him (export only), so I need to find another reputable dealer. Second, is the date on the OM in English only? One of my German watches (Schauer Day-Date) has the date in both English and German, and I think this is a pretty cool feature - now I know the first 3 letters of the days of the week in German. Anyway, thanks in advance for the help...
You can get an OM from pokemonyu (Singapore) on eBay for around the $100 mark plus postage, thats where I got mine. I must add that they come without warranty, box or manual. If you can't live with that you can look elsewhere, but I doubt you will find a better price. The Watch houses the famous 7s26 movement, which has a very good reputation for reliability.

The day on mine is dual language, English and I think Spainish, (Sun = Dom, Mon = Lun) is that Spainish, not sure?:think:

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Yes that alternate language on that one is Spanish. They also come in Arabic and Roman numerals.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another vote for Pokemonyu from me - I paid £51 for mine. Delivery took 12 days. Some of the bids mid-auction looked a bit suspicious to me (a buyer from Singapore with zero feedback just happened to bump the price up when things were looking quiet :think: ), but the final price was still pretty reasonable, so I can't complain too much. Add a bit more for a decent strap, unless you're one of the few who like the standard rubber version.
Rog.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Island Watch has them, although I purchased mine directly from Amazon.com which came with a blue Seiko box and instruction manual. There was no Seiko warranty card, however, Amazon.com adds a 5 year limited warranty on the watch if you purchase it in the United States. Pretty quick delivery too.

Oh, I forgot to add, the date display on the watch is in dual language: English/Spanish.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I got my Black Monster from Pokemonyu. Super speedy shipping from Singapore to the U.S. and the watch was in perfect condition. Also, no box, no manual and no warranty but for what I paid it was well worth it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm selling an unworn, unwanted gift orange monster on seiko rubber strap if you're interested. I'm in Ireland so $110 to your door. Just don't want it. It is the dual (eng-spa) version. Brand new. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you didn't work a deal with the nice bloke from Ireland, then I'll also chime in for Mr. Yu (Pokemonyu). I've purchased a number of pieces from him, and have never experienced a bad transaction. :gold

I bought Black and Orange Monsters (among other watches) from him. The Monsters came in at $125.00 including shipping. I waited two weeks for delivery, and have been a happy camper since. :-!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I must chime inn here.

I would go with SuperChrono.com on this one. They sell the OM with bracelet for $155 last time I looked. The watches they sell come with the box and one year international warranty.

You will most likely never need warranty service but I like the piece of mind personally. The watches at Pokemonyu are probably fine but they are grey market and I prefer watches sold by an authorized retailer.

The final advantage to Superchrono is super fast FEDEX Priority international shipping which means you will get your watch in about three days once it is shipped, sometimes faster and you will be able to track it. For all of the Seiko Singapore watches Superchrono is the way to go!!

IMHO of course,

Robzilla

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I must chime inn here.

I would go with SuperChrono.com on this one. They sell the OM with bracelet for $155 last time I looked. The watches they sell come with the box and one year international warranty.

You will most likely never need warranty service but I like the piece of mind personally. The watches at Pokemonyu are probably fine but they are grey market and I prefer watches sold by an authorized retailer.

The final advantage to Superchrono is super fast FEDEX Priority international shipping which means you will get your watch in about three days once it is shipped, sometimes faster and you will be able to track it. For all of the Seiko Singapore watches Superchrono is the way to go!!

IMHO of course,

Robzilla

Hello! :)

I'll admit that for $30.00USD more you can get the 1 year warranty, and that is a good thing *if* you end up needing it. Personally, I'll roll the dice. I'll prolly be fine without it. A year is merely a blink for your typical Seiko.

I have to question the "grey market" suggestion though. The pieces sold from Singapore are actually manufactured in Singapore, at the Seiko factory there. Authorized Seiko watches, from an official factory. True, they are not "Japan made", but still adhere to the strict Seiko quality control. No numbers have been "erased", and nothing is being hidden or modified.

Please educate me if I'm off the mark, but I truly believe I am correct in this belief.

No matter what direction you go, I believe these to be excellent watches for the money; you just can't go wrong without trying real hard .... :-!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Hey

I was not suggesting that grey market watches are bad. Specially Seiko's!. However because they have no box or warranty card they are grey market. I am no expert but I am pretty sure on this.

Does it mean that grey market watches are bad, no way. It just means that Seiko will not recognize them for warranty service. As you said it is very unlikely that most Seiko watches will ever need any service at all even after 20 years of continuous use. There is some risk though. And as far being made inn Japan or Singapore I have had both and both were of excellent quality. There is one thing I did notice. The lume on the Singapore watches was better than the Japan made. The case finishing and tightness of the bezel were better on the Japan made. These differences were very subtle and to most insignificant.

In any event just get the Orange Monster you will love it. INHO the Orange Titanium Sammurai Monster is my favorite. Ultimately no matter which you end up with you will be happy. Watches 59, Pokemanyu, or Superchrono are all excellent sellers.

Robzilla

·
Registered
345 Posts
i got my black monster from superchrono.. was all cool.. the crap part is that i paid 17$ of custom taxes when in was shipped to US.. but they were 2 watches in the same pack.. if theres just one watch you wont pay any custom crap taxes

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hey

I was not suggesting that grey market watches are bad. Specially Seiko's!. However because they have no box or warranty card they are grey market. I am no expert but I am pretty sure on this.

Does it mean that grey market watches are bad, no way. It just means that Seiko will not recognize them for warranty service. As you said it is very unlikely that most Seiko watches will ever need any service at all even after 20 years of continuous use. There is some risk though. And as far being made inn Japan or Singapore I have had both and both were of excellent quality. There is one thing I did notice. The lume on the Singapore watches was better than the Japan made. The case finishing and tightness of the bezel were better on the Japan made. These differences were very subtle and to most insignificant.

In any event just get the Orange Monster you will love it. INHO the Orange Titanium Sammurai Monster is my favorite. Ultimately no matter which you end up with you will be happy. Watches 59, Pokemanyu, or Superchrono are all excellent sellers.

Robzilla
No worries Friend ... we see this issue the same way. Bottom line, stay with the recognized sellers, and you'll be very happy with the purchace! :)

I'd like to extend Holiday Greetings to one and all. Be well, stay safe, and love hard. My best to everyone! santasmile

·
Registered
783 Posts
i just purchased a brand new black monster with no box or papers for $120.00 U.S. was that a okay deal or bad?
none the less i am excited about recieving the watch, as i have been eyeballing it for the lst 3-4 months. up next is the Seiko Pilot Chronograph white dial with gold accents.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
i just purchased a brand new black monster with no box or papers for $120.00 U.S. was that a okay deal or bad?
none the less i am excited about recieving the watch, as i have been eyeballing it for the lst 3-4 months. up next is the Seiko Pilot Chronograph white dial with gold accents.
Congrats! You got a great deal on the Black Monster ... that is the amount that can be had on the 'Bay if you're persistant. |>

How do you like the wearing? I see that you have a few G-Shock's; the Monster is a tad heavier than them, no? :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
actually i havent gotten it yet. today is christmas so it cant go out until tomorrow. but i have tried it on in a reatil jewelry store. i do like the fit very much though. and yes it is heavier, wich i actually like. one of the partial reasons i got the watch :)
its so funny because they always say "theres a sale on it right now." "i can give it to you for *calculator jazz* 375 out the door" then he tells me this mineral crystal watch is sapphire. also trying to sell me a luminox i been looking at for 365. when i can get it for 231 shipped from 4-watches...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
actually i havent gotten it yet. today is christmas so it cant go out until tomorrow. but i have tried it on in a reatil jewelry store. i do like the fit very much though. and yes it is heavier, wich i actually like. one of the partial reasons i got the watch :)
its so funny because they always say "theres a sale on it right now." "i can give it to you for *calculator jazz* 375 out the door" then he tells me this mineral crystal watch is sapphire. also trying to sell me a luminox i been looking at for 365. when i can get it for 231 shipped from 4-watches...
I like the weight so well that's it's become my almost every day watch. The 6309 needs to go to the spa, so it's getting a break until I ship it off. The Orange and Black Monsters are getting the lions share of wrist-time. The white Sammie is running a close second.

Funny you should mention a retail outlet. I saw a Black Monster in a non-chain jewelry / watch store, and commented on it. He allowed me to try it on, and did the same calculator dance. Offered it to me at the rock-bottom price of $375.00USD (plus 7%tax!). He then challenged me to find it cheaper anywhere else. He was serious. I told him that I've seen them online at various auction sites; his comment? "Those are not REAL Seiko's."

I thanked him for his time, and walked away. o| My Orange cost me $132.00USD shipped, my Black $124.00USD shipped. Far cry from his $375.00.

I looked at a black Sammie at the Seiko store in St. Augustine. They wanted $385.00USD ... back to the forums I go .....

·
Registered
783 Posts
I like the weight so well that's it's become my almost every day watch. The 6309 needs to go to the spa, so it's getting a break until I ship it off. The Orange and Black Monsters are getting the lions share of wrist-time. The white Sammie is running a close second.

Funny you should mention a retail outlet. I saw a Black Monster in a non-chain jewelry / watch store, and commented on it. He allowed me to try it on, and did the same calculator dance. Offered it to me at the rock-bottom price of $375.00USD (plus 7%tax!). He then challenged me to find it cheaper anywhere else. He was serious. I told him that I've seen them online at various auction sites; his comment? "Those are not REAL Seiko's."

I thanked him for his time, and walked away. o| My Orange cost me $132.00USD shipped, my Black $124.00USD shipped. Far cry from his $375.00.

I looked at a black Sammie at the Seiko store in St. Augustine. They wanted $385.00USD ... back to the forums I go .....
haha yes! i have been nothing short of apreciative towards finding this website. because i would have purchased that monster for 375 or so that day. and the same thing with my line of g shocks.
my black monster that will soon be here cost me 120.00 U.S. although missing the box an papers, i wish it had them. but i am happy to save 30+ dollars without the box and papers.
iv been doing a good amount of research on the watch and read nothing but good feedback on it. check out this link! its made me feel secure about my first auto watch. :-!
http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
iv been doing a good amount of research on the watch and read nothing but good feedback on it. check out this link! its made me feel secure about my first auto watch. :-!
http://www.thepurists.com/watch/features/8ohms/7s26/
It's funny that you offer that link. I found it month's ago, and saved it to read until my Orange arrived! :)

If you Google! "John Holbrook" and then "John Davis", you'll find plenty of articles on a great many watches, from humble to sublime ....... I no longer have the linky, but one of Mr. Holbrooks articles has him opening and dissecting the 7s26 movement. Quite fascinating ....

·
Registered
783 Posts
It's funny that you offer that link. I found it month's ago, and saved it to read until my Orange arrived! :)

If you Google! "John Holbrook" and then "John Davis", you'll find plenty of articles on a great many watches, from humble to sublime ....... I no longer have the linky, but one of Mr. Holbrooks articles has him opening and dissecting the 7s26 movement. Quite fascinating ....
haha yeah, i am doing the very same thing. reading this stuff waiting for my monster to get here..
thanks for the tips though ill look those two people up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts