WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm about to sell my steel black and white 42mm PO to finance the purchase of another PO, specifically the Orange 45mm version on rubber strap with orange stitching. I strapped it on the other day and i felt that this was the Omega to be had, hands down.

I'm a Banker and as that, I'm required to wear suits on a daily basis, would such a watch be appropriate to wear?? Ive seen some guys wear such watches on suits, but I wouldn't bet my money on their sense of fashion.

What would you suggest?

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
Your current 2201.50, while not an ideal watch to wear with suits, is still a much better choice than the PO XL in orange on rubber. Unless you are trying to be iconoclastic or "ironic," two qualities frowned upon in your profession, I would stick to the more sober PO in black/white. If your appearance matters in your work, as it likely does, why not invest in something dressier? Maybe an AT or HV?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your current 2201.50, while not an ideal watch to wear with suits, is still a much better choice than the PO XL in orange on rubber. Unless you are trying to be iconoclastic or "ironic," two qualities frowned upon in your profession, I would stick to the more sober PO in black/white. If your appearance matters in your work, as it likely does, why not invest in something dressier? Maybe an AT or HV?
Mmmm.... to me a seamaster 300 or planet ocean is the true signature Omega, an AT is almost (wrongly) a Datejust knockoff unfortunately, and if I wanted a HV, there would much better brands, more focused on making such dress watches. Im looking for a watch that would look good on a suit, a pair of jeans, and on the beach. Im a one watch type of guy unfortunately, and Omega is the only watch I like.

·
Premium Member
7,877 Posts
Mmmm.... to me a seamaster 300 or planet ocean is the true signature Omega, an AT is almost (wrongly) a Datejust knockoff unfortunately, and if I wanted a HV, there would much better brands, more focused on making such dress watches. Im looking for a watch that would look good on a suit, a pair of jeans, and on the beach. Im a one watch type of guy unfortunately, and Omega is the only watch I like.
A "Datejust knockoff"? Hardly. The ATs build upon many styling ques of Seamasters of the past. To many on these fora (and not just the Omega forum), the newest AT is as close as you can get to being the ideal "Gentleman's Watch," or "One Watch." It does it all, and does it all effortlessly. The HV is one of the most elegant, and most advanced watches available in the market segment. What other watches in the price range do you feel actually compare, in terms of styling, technology, heritage, etc., with the HV or AT? Besides, yes, I agree that the SMP and PO are signature Omegas, but the Speedy Pro will always be the one watch that truly symbolizes Omega.

Wearing a big chunky diver's watch with nice suits is pretty much acceptable these days, but to those that may be more discerning, like perhaps your potential clients, it's still considered a bit daft to do so, to borrow a British expression. BTW, bespoke suiting is another of my hobbies. I'd like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable about the topic. The bottom line is, the PO is a casual watch, through and through. I have worn a PO with a suit, but on those days when I'm trying to put my best foot forward, I will wear something decidedly dressier, like my AT. One day soon, I will also have a Reverso, which will split wrist time with the AT in business situations, and will become my go-to watch for the more formal events.

In your field, one of the very few that the following could be said about, I would think it's almost crucial to have a dedicated dress watch. Go and try on the AT and HV. At least do yourself that favor. I think you'll be surprised at how much more special they feel in hand, and on the wrist. Perhaps trying them on will even help you to let go of the obvious prejudices you have against them, and allow you to see what so many of us here already know. They are two watches that photos do no justice to. If you can afford to do so, keep the PO, or get the orange PO, but also invest in a dedicated dressier watch. Anyway, just my two cents.

·
Registered
737 Posts
IMHO, definitely No Way is a diver on rubber appropriate with business wear.
My $.03.

Reactions: UCrazyKid

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Absolutely not. Swap POs if you want, but you need to spend $50 on a quartz Seiko dress watch at least. . .

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you want versatility but a suit is your what you wear most - Get a Speedmaster Professional on steel bracelet. To me (and I am a nobody) the Speedy Pro is the best looking watch on a black suit that i have yet seen. Goes well with jeans and t-shirt also. My $0.20

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
SMP on bracelet will work with a suit and fits well under cuffs...plus, with the blue dial/bezel goes great with jeans

My PO on rubber is for casual only....the SMP goes on for work, smart dress and casual...until I eventually get my AT which will become my 'gentleman's watch' of choice as Dixan says

·
Registered
876 Posts
Sorry, despite what your heart wants everyone seems to be ganging up on the orange PO for your needs I would just like to add my comment.

Having said that it is generally a little more acceptable to wear a diver with a suit (AT preferred, granted) these days, if on a one watch 'budget' and you cannot live without the the PO like me, I would seriously recommend you keep what you have and perhaps try it on a mesh. The vintage look sort of dresses it up in my opinion.

I decided against any orange (numerals and/or bezel) in order to maintain a somewhat homogeneous look with a black suit and white dress shirt theme at the very least.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Black

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with what has been said about the orange PO. It does look casual. I would also go with what you currently have. Specially if you go on one of those "power meetings" where being "conservative" is the norm. In my profession, I meet with a lot of bankers and the "simple but elegant" look is usually the way to go.

·
Registered
442 Posts
While I think a PO can be worn with a suit in less formal situations, I still wouldn't feel comfortable with a 45mm orange PO. I'd say, stick with what you have or maybe get a 42mm orange PO, but definitely not the XL version.

I know various people who wear a PO with a suit, and it looks fine as far as I'm concerned, but those people are in the IT business, which is decidedly less formal than banking... You might want to look at the Aqua Terra like others have suggested.

Reactions: srajaram00

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am torn between a black bezel XL PO with the white numbers vs Orange numerals. I will get one on bracelet and want something that is a little formal. Although the white numerals is definitely more formal, I'd like to think that the
Orange numerals is more bang for the buck as you can play with different strap choices etc and it could fit more occasions that the white numbered PO
I really cannot make up my mind here and want to see if other people have been torn with this decision.... pls chime in with your comments.

PS : Sorry for the hijack on the thread ... I thought my question was somewhat related....

·
Banned
38 Posts
I just got a PO XL on rubber (no orange). I think if you stick with the rubber strap without the orange stitching, it'd look just fine... I think the rubber can pull off looking a bit like leather. If you really have your heart set on the orange stitching.. why not buy multiple straps?

·
Registered
92 Posts
IMHO, definitely No Way is a diver on rubber appropriate with business wear.
My $.03.
I am afraid that I have to agree. But the real problem is the orange. It just pushes it over the top. More so when you have a humongous 45mm chunk of steel pushing its way out of your shirtsleeve. You just can't hide it. 45mm and orange just say "LOOK AT ME!!!!!"

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Only you know what's appropriate at your workplace. But if you have already seen other guys wear such watches, then I think it's fine.

Why not just get an extra orange bezel and swap those out occasionally? Also buy some extra straps. Then you wouldn't have to sell your watch.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts