WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The color red disappears at only 15 feet of depth. Orange goes at around 30 feet. Yet orange is a popular color for dive watch dials (Doxa and others). How do the Doxa Pro dials look at depth? Does the hand/dial contrast make them easy to read?

My Sharkhunter has been very legible down to 100+ feet. This photo was taken at about 30 feet with a flash, so not a true representation of dial or hand color in natural filtered light.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
This picture is at 65ft with no flash a couple years ago. It doesn't look extremely legible in the picture, but in real life........it was easily readable. Granted, it is just an orange minute-hand and not the orange dial.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Guys,

I dove regularly with a 750 Pro (I think around or over 200 dives) and I can say that there was no problem with legibility. Even at depths of more than 100 ft. I don't recall having a problem.

I think it's because the hands are dark and the orange dial is relatively light in comparison. Interestingly, when I owned a 5000T Pro, I had more difficulties reading my time as the hands and dial were both showing up light.

Now, having recently gone diving with a 750 Searambler, I can tell you that is one sweet diving watch. Very east to read at depth!

Bottom line - if it's a Doxa Sub, it belongs in the water. ;-)

Cheers,

Avi

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here's some Orange underwater at different depths I did:

And one from February this year in very bad viz in Tobago.

You'll notice the T-Graph has a slight brownish tint compared with the SUB750T's orange dial. This is down to sun's strength penetrating the water. The thing I've noticed is it all depends how good the sun light is to how well the orange works at depth. The Maldives shots had very strong, bright sun light, but in Tobago it was bad weather with rain and lots of cloud cover.

Hope this helps .

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
And Greg, let's be clear.......If I remember correctly, you do not use an external flash. So, your pictures do not reflect the use of high-powered flash equipment.....correct??

BTW, just to let you know how you influenced me.........I just bought a G10 and plan to try your white-balance trick on my trip to Bonaire shortly......

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the photographic proof, Greg. That is interesting. I thought, no matter how sunny it is, that water will filter color out according to depth - red at 15 feet, orange at 30, yellow at 45 or something like that.

Of course, a strobe would reintroduce color. But you didn't use a strobe for those shots? Amazing... and beautiful photography, by the way! :-!

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
Greg: just curious, was this taken with a G 10 and the macro setting?
Thanks.
David
DW,
Not to answer for Greg, but unless he has new equipment he uses a G7 and white-balances his shots. I cannot speak to whether or not he used the macro setting.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Keep in mind it isn't really the color that is important at depth-it is the contrast.

I don't think it's crucial to see "orange as orange" at depth, rather, you want to insure that you can read the watch, and perhaps distinguish shades of color from each other, rather than to know that orange is in fact orange.

I am color-blind, and lose the ability to distinguish color well at depth, so I am sensitive to the contrast. The orange on my Doxa is perfect for diving-I can see the hands against the background without issue.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
Thanks for the photographic proof, Greg. That is interesting. I thought, no matter how sunny it is, that water will filter color out according to depth - red at 15 feet, orange at 30, yellow at 45 or something like that.

Of course, a strobe would reintroduce color. But you didn't use a strobe for those shots? Amazing... and beautiful photography, by the way! :-!
No offense to Greg, but I do believe the first three frames are with the use of a flash. Maybe not an external strobe, but with the camera's built in flash. It's especially evident in the 66ft frame where you can see the flash reflecting off of the bezel, crystal and bracelet. Using an external light source will not give you a true representation of color. There's no way an orange dial would be that vibrant at that depth, without the use of a flash.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of the Tobago shot either. I know Greg adjusts the white balance which greatly effects the accuracy of the colors. By doing this, the image looks better as the colors are closer to what you'd see on land or in very shallow water, but not what you'd see at depth.

For a more accurate look at the orange dial at depth, look back at the photos from Searaider 2007. THOR wore his 600T Pro, and Whse wore his 600T-Graph Pro. Muted, and drab is how the orange dial looks, not vibrant like what we've seen so far.

It is interesting that this thread materialized when it did, as just last week I conducted an underwater color test comparing the traditional colors of the spectrum with comparable flourescent colors. Due to the conditions, I could only reach a depth of 60ft but even with being that shallow, the results were quite intersting. Once I get the photos downloaded I'll start a new thread with my findings.

·
Registered
85 Posts
And Greg, let's be clear.......If I remember correctly, you do not use an external flash. So, your pictures do not reflect the use of high-powered flash equipment.....correct??

BTW, just to let you know how you influenced me.........I just bought a G10 and plan to try your white-balance trick on my trip to Bonaire shortly......
Yes your correct Jason, I only use on board flash as a very last resort in the dark (night dives or in caves etc).

Cool choice of camera!! :-! The G10 is an excellent choice for underwater and very good on land to.

The white balance takes a little practice to get used to doing, but once mastered it really make a big difference in your colours.

All you have to remember is you need to white balance every time you change your depth.

Oh, another tip is always slightly under expose, this way you keep the sea a nice blue and colours are richer and stronger. And use macro whenever possible up to it's range limit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
DW,
Not to answer for Greg, but unless he has new equipment he uses a G7 and white-balances his shots. I cannot speak to whether or not he used the macro setting.
Upgraded my Camera to G10 Jason :-d, so yes, Tabago shot was G10
Camera settings:

F5
1/80 second
macro
manual white balance

G10 is better as it has 28m wide-angle lens. It also does a better job of colours and light handling underwater.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Keep in mind it isn't really the color that is important at depth-it is the contrast.

I don't think it's crucial to see "orange as orange" at depth, rather, you want to insure that you can read the watch, and perhaps distinguish shades of color from each other, rather than to know that orange is in fact orange.
Chris
I agree completely. This begs another question: if contrast is key, wouldn't it make sense that black is best for a dial, with white hands? Any other color seems like it is only for topside variety.

I recall a previous discussion about the elusive "White Shark" (Sharkie with white minute hand) and it seems like that would be about the most legible combination.

I guess I'll await Ty's discoveries.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Here's my vintage Synchron 300T down in the Red Sea ;-)
(sorry pics were taken with a low quality camera)

Attachments

Reactions: asdf1230

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Tabago shot was G10
Camera settings:

F5
1/80 second
macro
manual white balance

G10 is better as it has 28m wide-angle lens. It also does a better job of colours and light handling underwater.

Thanks for the info, I'm shopping for a new camera and wondered.
DW

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My GMT Pro at 20m (or less, I don't remember) turns from orange to sage (military green) due to light absorption.
Visibility is very good because of the high contrast.
Unfortunately no photos.

Regards
Dimitris

·
Registered
695 Posts
Here's my vintage Synchron 300T down in the Red Sea ;-)
(sorry pics were taken with a low quality camera)
Holger, they are great photo's and you are a braver man than me taking a vintage out to do what it was built for, good man :-!:-!:-!

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
:-!:-! Great pics guys thanks for that!
Regards
Robt

·
Registered
569 Posts
Great photos and information- thanks one and all!

I can't wait for Spring to finally settle in, so I can do some swimming and perhaps some diving. :-!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts