WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never thought I'd seriously consider one-- I prefer watches in the 38-42mm range -- but I think I've caught the bug after months of seeing it on the forums. My largest watch is the Seiko Tuna, so the King would definitely dwarf even that piece. But I like the design. The classic square design that I love is apparent in the King, a larger-than-life interpretation of a classic.

So, I want a King. I've tried it on before and while it looked huge on my small wrist, I think I can pull it off considering my body build. I mean, it looked okay while checking the watch out in a mirror. That said, my rationale is that since I'm going big with the King, I'd might as well go all the way and go orange for a big, bold wrist statement.

It's hard to tell from pictures (it appears reddish in some, bright orange in others) but do you think it's too orange for daily wear? Or would it be more advisable to play it safe and go with a black King? Was there anything that made you regret going orange? Did it appear to be "cartoonish" in appearance due to the size and orange color? Or more of a toolish watch that exudes boldness due to its color and size?

Ultimately, this is of course a personal choice, but I'd love to hear input from King owners.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have 4 kings, red and black, blue and black atomic, black with positive display, and most recently the orange. I love them all. I waited a long time before I finally pulled the trigger on the orange one. I like the orange alot and it's orange for sure not reddish or anything else, just orange. My only problem with the orange is that it has a tendency to get dirty from wear and I find it hard to clean. I guess I never noticed it before because of the black bezel and band on all the others. The orange seems mostly to be for summer time when wearing short sleeves, as it even picks up the dark color from what ever shirt you may be wearing if it's got long sleeves.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381890305.458972.jpg

After a while it just doesn't look as crisp of an orange as when new. I'm going to try using a magic ersaer on it and see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
i have almost all but the green KG and the red/black, I wear the orange King most, then the positive one. Have no problems whatsoever when dressing with it. One small "regret" is the resins get dirty

·
Registered
359 Posts
I only have the Army Green King and if I were to get another, it would be the Orange King. I would say the orange looks close to the colour US Coast Guard uses on their orange bits of kit...

You have a smart collection of watches which covers just about any occasion (I like that Sinn BTW) and that Seiko is a nice dress watch on leather strap... With all that already in the bag, an Orange King would be an excellent addition.

I think Orange King does indeed exude a toolish outdoorsy boldness... Go for it!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I consider King to be the greatest G-Shock of all time, but I didn't like the orange one. I had it for few weeks and sold it.

I found orange bezel to be a bit different color than the belt.

I think that contrast of negative display was slightly worse than in GX-561A red and black version:

04.jpg

Cheers, Piowa

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I have the orange the black with gold letters (GB), the black with red inserts (1A), and the green (KG3).

The discoloration of the orange is very real and we'll documented on WUS. Don't wear it with sleeves of any kind. I love mine, and am considering spare resin for it.

I hear what Piowa is saying, but the GB is far fainter (more difficult to read).

For a first king? If you treat it as a party on your wrist, get the orange. I can't see getting rid of mine.

My only regret with G's so far is how long I put off purchasing my orange king. Fortunately Feisar set me straight. :beer:

sent with aloha

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
The obvios answer is: get both! But seriously - if in doubt - go with black. I have both and I mostly wear the black one. I didn't like the red buttons at first but now I love them - it's the classic Casio color-scheme first used on the DW-5500C. And it goes well with my Nikes with the red sole :-d.

Cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
28,445 Posts
Orange definitely on my list. Not now but sometimes not so distant future. Our HKG climate simply asking for it - same with Honolulu and all the other sunny and warm parts of the world :) You really need short sleeves for showing off this great orange King IMHO. Not really for the cold, grey wintertime. Let's wait for EasternMickey who's the King of the Kings ( together with Sjors and few others ) Back to the OP ... my recommendation black King first and then later grab few others :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've got both the orange and the military green KG. I went for the orange first because like what you mentioned if you're gonna go big, you might as well go loud! I got the KG almost 2 yrs later because I love the color scheme on it.

I only wear the orange king when I'm in casual wear and tee shirts. My wrist is relatively small but the king never looks out of place.

Ironically being the more 'matchable' and 'mean looking' of the 2, the KG has very little wrist time.

But I agree with sedi: save yourself the agony of deciding and just get both! ;)

If you're worried abt buyer's remorse, keep one in the box and unbox it on your birthday/anniversary/[insert special occasion here]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
I think the orange ones are getting to be hard to find these days, while the red/black ones are still available in many places.

I would probably get the orange one first if I found it for a decent price if I were you, and you can always get the red/black version later.

·
Banned
473 Posts
I have the orange, all black (GB), and the positive display (1B). You are right that its a completely subjective decision. For me I absolutely love the orange for summer, shorts tees and flip flops. I rarely wear it in winter. I wouldn't be without any of them, as they all fulfil a different vibe for me.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Work wearability and in general I love the positive display GXW-56-1B I have. The GB, all black and negative is my work horse now.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the great input so far, fellas. It's still hard to decide. The easy way would be to get both as Sedi suggested.

I'm leaning toward orange at the moment, though the likelihood of discoloration is discouraging. I had forgotten about how certain colored G-shocks have a tendency to pick up grime easily.

It is possible to buy black resin/ strap and swap the orange out later, right?

·
Registered
708 Posts
You can always buy another strap and bezel over time. I find I wouldn't wear such a bright color because of how fast it'll tarnish and show it vs. the green or black ones. Yeah it's only $80 USD for a new strap and bezel but that adds up.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
the GB is far fainter (more difficult to read)
I was kind of surprised at what I wrote here and I realized I hadn't worn it in a few months. So I strapped it on and spent the day with it.

uploadfromtaptalk1381997016424.jpg

In my head I was picturing something like the display on the Initial Blues but in gold. I'm happy to say I was wrong.

I will still say it is not a good first neg display for someone (GD350 is still the best), but if you are comfortable with other Casio neg displays you will be fine with this one as well.

sent with aloha

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thread update:

GX56.jpg

I was still unsure about the getting a King, so I decided to hop on eBay and find a used piece. I recently received a positive display model. The resin is a little beat-up. This King was no safe-queen, that's for sure. But there are no marks on the crystal or caseback. I'm thinking of swapping its resin for a newer one. For now, I think it looks kind of bad-ass. Despite being big as hell, I love it. When I received my glossy red DW-6900, I knew it wasn't for me. This, however, looks and feels just right. Thanks for the advice guys.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts