WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Does anyone here from the UK have any recent experience buying from Rakuten?
Particularly interested to know about postal and import charges experiences.

Thanks

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
Hi all,

I've searched this forum a lot (looong time lurker, first post) and there seems to be a lot of different views on what import duty you are likely to pay when getting watches shipped from Japan.
From a former post here on WUS ( call HMRC Helpline though and you are exactly in the know):

I've just come off the phone, speaking to Penny from the HMRC VAT & Duty Helpline (0300 200 3700) and the facts (per 14/06/2013) are as follows:
- You pay a FIXED import duty of €0.8 (yes, that is Euros, not Sterling, since UK use the common EU tariff scheme) per watch. When import duties are less than €9, HMRC do not bother collecting them. This means, in other words, that for personal purchases (i.e. one watch at a time), there is NO import duty collected.
- You additionally pay 20% VAT on the purchase price+shipping+insurance (i.e. total amount of money you've spent).

So, let's say I buy one 180,000 yen (~£1200) watch from Japan. On top of that, I pay a £40 pound shipping fee and a £30 insurance fee. In total, I've spent £1270.

On top of the £1270, I have to pay 20% VAT, so when your watch lands in the UK, you will be asked for £254 to pay VAT.

The carrier that ships your watch from Japan to the UK may additionally charge you a handling fee (anywhere from £0 to £30, it seems from reading posts on this forum) for paying these charges for you on UK arrival.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. I've seen a Seiko SRP563 which I think could look great with a 656 style dial from yobokies. Maybe as its only around £100 HMRC won't bother.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Yes my experience was as Mike says ie 20% VAT on total cost. I have bought from two dealers in Japan and both charged me in US$ not Yen so the conversion to the £ is a bit complicated.
Both very smooth, in UK customs <24 hrs. after dispatch on each occasion.
P.S. Chino watch is no longer permitted by Seiko to export JDM models to the EU

·
Premium Member
64,962 Posts
I imported a MM300 from Japan just before Christmas via EMS. It came to Coventry by Japan Post then Parcelfarce took over. Before they would release it I had to pay 20% VAT (levied by customs on the declared value) and a £25 handling charge

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a shame. looking at the loveliness on offer at Seiko3s on RakutenGlobal - like 007 for £70, and some unusual colours on the Seiko 5s ( seiko specialty store 3s | Rakuten Global Market: Seiko 5 men's automatic self-winding watch Navy dial-ゴールドコンビ stainless steel belt SNKL79K1 ) that you cant get in the UK. But with HMRC wanting 20% and parcelforce £25 it starts to get pointles. I'm thinking of ordering anyway as some people have reported no charge from parcelforce, just the £8 postage from japan. It may be worth the gamble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts