WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after doing some research and seeing a friends Mako I took the plunge and bought my first Orient. I actually bought two of their Sub Homage models, the 2ER00001B. I got my dad one for xmas to replace a really nice Folex Sub I bought for him in the Kuwait City jewelry market a few years back. It recently stopped working and he was not sure if anyone would be willing to work on it. I must preface this review by saying that I'm going to base alot of my opinions on the comparison of these two watches. I've never opened the Kuwaiti Rolex but I'm assuming its of Asian manufacture. I've owned several of these fakes over the years and I must say this was the best and I wish I'd bought so many more. There was alot of detail in that watch that I expected to find in the Orient. Screw pin links, good heft and size, Divers expansion link, great coin edge, nice crisp bezel, etc.

So on to my thoughts on the Orient. First off alot of people complain about the band. Its not too thin although you will find it to be much thinner that most homages. The links are held with pins, not screws which I didn't like. It does not have the divers expansion link which I didn't think would bother me. I found however that with the strap adjusted to the proper size for my wrist I can hardly slide the watch over my hand. I've always had the expansion link and this would be a nice addition to the Orient. The clasp is firm but my buddies Mako came with a clasp that included a set of squeeze to open button on either side. I liked that set up even if it was not true to the Rolex design. All in all the bracelet is very functional however the feel and appearance will slightly dissappoint you at first. The remaining quality of the watch is deserving of a more heafty bracelet. I do however like the non polished center link look.

Now on to the watch. Let me first say that this is nice watch and the first time buyer will not regret the buy nor be dissappointed however if you have ever had a comparison piece you will note the differences. The face is black to the casual glance but is actually a dark charcoal gray in daylight. Not a problem for me but if you are looking for black this is not the one. The lume IS NOT great. Alot of reviews are wishy washy about this. I'll settle it for you now. Its by no means Seiko bright. I would call it dimly lit. It seams to last for an hour or two at a lower acceptable level and then it dims significantly over night. The date wheel has black numbers on a silver metalic background. Some like it, I think it looks cheap. I was one of my biggest disappointments. The cyclops works ok I suppose but I've got better than 20/15 vision so I don't notice these things much or miss them on my other watches. The bezel looks nice however be warned it is very flat and not sloped like many homages. The insert is almost as flat as my SKx173. I do like that the index lume is low profile and barely raises above the surface. That is usually the first thing to get knocked off if it sits too high. The scalloped edge is more smooth than I would have liked. It needs to be a bit more knurled. This is caused by the shallow angle of the machining. When viewed in profile it is only knurled on the top 1/3 of the bezel the remaining part is high polish. This makes it less "grippy" than it should be. The coin edge is almost non-existant. This was another big dissapointment for me. Even my cheapest Chinatown special has more coin edge than this. The bezel spins easily but has a very cheap feel to it with ALOT of play. This is the only truly cheap feal to the watch. The case highly polished and looks very nice. Overall fit and finish are top class and give the watch a very high dollar feel. The case when viewed in profile is much flatter and squared off on the face side while the case back is quite thick and domed. The head of the wind stem is much smaller than most homages and looks much to small for the watch to me. I've not had it but a few days and have not had time to check the accurracy. I will and will follow up on this here. My recommendations to Orient: Better lume, heavier bracelet, bigger windstem, white date wheel, much better fitting bezel. The rest is mainly my opinion and cosmetic. While this might read like I am downing this watch I'm not. It's still a great buy in my mind. I mainly wright this so that anyone else like me who has never seen one in person before buying will not be surprised. Its a great watch at the discounted prices Orient offers. I'd still recommend it a great stepping stone to your final homage destination. Now I'm going to buy an Alpha and see what thats all about.

PS anyone in the Kuwait City area PM me I want 2 dozen of those great watches!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still happy with it over all. I mean I'm wearing it now and giving my dad one for xmas so it can't be that bad. There were just some details that I didn't know before I bought it that I'd like everyone else to know. Its just the stuff you can only see if you hold it in your hand before you buy it. I'd still recommend it.

·
5,150 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've copied it to the Reviews subforum for future reference.

·
Registered
13,178 Posts
Thanks for the candid review, fmfbest. Having owned (and now flipped) one, I agree with your assessment of the Orient, especially the disappointing bezel. I have also owned and enjoyed Alpha, but my favorite so far in this class of homages is the Invicta 8926 with the coin edge bezel. Just an outstanding watch on which many of your disappointments in Orient have been addressed.

Cheers!

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Thanks for the long and thought-out review. Sounds like the Orient didn't exactly impress you. Hope you find what you're looking for in the next one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts