WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone shed some light well mostly on the 40N50 movement???

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either an Orient Star WZ0071EL or a Seiko SCVS003.

I've read plenty on the 6r15 which seems pretty rock solid for that pricerange. but there isn't much out there on the newer Orient 40n50 which also hacks/handwinds plus it has a power/reserve complication.

I know Orient makes quality watches and I love the look of that model, but the 6r15 movement just seems IMHO just a tad better quality:think:
well a few more nights of headscratching I guess before I break out the Debit Card:-!

Thanks in advance,
Pablo E.

Attachments

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Can anyone shed some light well mostly on the 40N50 movement???

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either an Orient Star WZ0071EL or a Seiko SCVS003.

I've read plenty on the 6r15 which seems pretty rock solid for that pricerange. but there isn't much out there on the newer Orient 40n50 which also hacks/handwinds plus it has a power/reserve complication.

I know Orient makes quality watches and I love the look of that model, but the 6r15 movement just seems IMHO just a tad better quality:think:
well a few more nights of headscratching I guess before I break out the Debit Card:-!

Thanks in advance,
Pablo E.
I'm pretty sure that Orient still makes it's own mechanical movements.
Hacking and hand winding are recent innovations to the Orient line.

Depending on the level that the Orient is sold at, it could very well have the better movement than the 6r15. The 6r15; inspite of the added hacking and hand winding is still based on the 7s26 which is Seiko's entry level movement...at least until the 4r15 replaces it.

I wouldn't hesitate on choosing the Orient if you like the overall look and feel to it. It will serve you as well as the Seiko :-!

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I love a lot of models from both these brands. Both of these look well finished to me. The Orient, from pics I have seen, is maybe just a tiny bit better finished and classier IMO, but I fear that it has folded end links. OTOH folded end links don't bother a lot of people, and the Orient has a power reserve, which is very cool. I would buy the Orient and whack it on black leather.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I love a lot of models from both these brands. Both of these look well finished to me. The Orient, from pics I have seen, is maybe just a tiny bit better finished and classier IMO, but I fear that it has folded end links. OTOH folded end links don't bother a lot of people, and the Orient has a power reserve, which is very cool. I would buy the Orient and whack it on black leather.
ALERT, newbie question to follow:

What exactly are folded end links? How can you tell if a watch has them? What are the disadvantages to folded end links?

Thus far I'm really only familiar with the term "hollow
endlinks, so maybe someone can shed some light on this for me. :-s

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Hollow, folded, same thing though folded seems to be more accurate to me. There really aren't any drawbacks to a properly fitted folded end link. Perhaps they stretch out after years just like folded bracelets though I've never had any problem with them. They take less precision to manufacture so they should reduce cost a bit. The trend towards bigger heavier watches has really pushed solid end links into commonality.

As to the original question the 6r15 Seiko has a much nicer look to me, and one that will definitely still look good in 20 years.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Also, a crown at 4 o' clock is more for a tool watch, where a crown at 3 would be less comfortable when flexing your wrist.

The Orient is more modern, while the SCVS003 looks just a tad old fashioned. Its replacement the SARB033 is more in keeping with the modern dress look of the Orient, though it is $60 more :(. As for the complication, a power gauge is nifty to have, but does clutter the dial a bit, and it distracts from the totally awesome sword hands.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
Here is a nice review on the white dialed OS with the hacking/handwinding movement. It is a very nice piece and the end links are solid. The bracelet is a true 5 link bracelet (ie. the polished bits are actual links and not just part of the center link). There are some very nice pictures here to give you a good sense of the finishing.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=226799

As for the movement, it is difficult to say that one is any better than the other. The Orient hacking movement has only been around for a couple of years and the technical knowledge base on Orient movenemts is limited, at least on the English speaking forums. If anyone thinks one is better than the other, I wouldn't put much stock in their opinion unless they have actually performed tear downs on both and know what they are talking about.

I think there were some early issues with the 6R15 with date window centering. Have there been complaints about crown stem breaking?? I haven't read any complaints about the Orient EL, but there are only a handful of people with them on the forums.

These are both very nice watches, but I would consider all the other differences and not worry let the movement sway me. The Orient is slightly larger with the PR indicator and the funky 4 oclock crown and date window at 9. The Seiko is slightly smaller with traditional styling and that bracelet that has a great look of a vintage piece. Also the Seiko is much cheaper than the Orient. There are older models of the OS Classic that have the non-hacking, non-HH movement that run about the same price as this older model Seiko Spirit.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a nice review on the white dialed OS with the hacking/handwinding movement. It is a very nice piece and the end links are solid. The bracelet is a true 5 link bracelet (ie. the polished bits are actual links and not just part of the center link). There are some very nice pictures here to give you a good sense of the finishing.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=226799
I've searched and read just about all I could find on it (Orient) including the review you linked up about a week ago, I'm still up in the air either way and i'm still waiting for Katsu to get back to me with some details:-!THX

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did you end up buying one of these watches? I'm considering the SARB033 and the Orient you are considering. I'd love to hear which you picked!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts