WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first watch review.

Now that that's out of the way, I love this watch. This was my first branded automatic. I'd seen the green dial fading to black in showpieces at retail outlets and the image kind of stuck in my head. In a few months I'd realised that I'd been smitten by the itch to experience and own this baby. I poured over numerous reviews, blogs and articles out there on the various types of Bambinos but that beautiful green stuck in my mind forever. I knew I had to own it.

Now fast forward 18 months and I'm looking at my green and gold Bambino that's spent so many days on my wrist, now ticking away in my watch case. Wearing this watch for over a year and a half, I truly appreciate today what a Bambino is - and what it is, is a beautiful, elegant, dressy eye opener to the romantic world of automatic wrist watches.

The pictures would probably do this watch more justice than my text but I'll try to summarise my timepiece here. A simple gold plated case with a green dial. Gold coated indices for hour markers, gold coated hands for the hour, minute and seconds indication and a small white date window at the 3 o'clock position. A simple gold coated crown at 3 as well. It's not signed, but I like it for it's clean simplicity there, in keeping with the rest of the simplistic theme of this watch. All gold is yellow gold.

Dimensions are essential to discuss for dress watches. Since I wear formal attire every single day to work, it is important that my watch makes peace with the inside of my shirt cuff. So 42 mm in the 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock direction without counting the crown, about 22 mm between the lugs and close to 11.9 mm in thickness to cater to that beautiful domed acrylic crystal. I've never measured the length from the tip of the north lug to the tip of the corresponding south lug, but its fit my 6 inch wrist just fine.

Now, this watch is a blend of vintage and contemporary design elements. It's size is very much modern. But the looks of it are just so classic. That beautiful vintage looking domed crystal is one of the main reasons I lost my sleep over this watch, before ultimately buying it 18 months ago. The combination of dark sunburst green dial and those gold indices and hands lends to a very old world charm. Just seeing this watch on the different dark brown and oxblood straps I've married it to, had often made me appreciate the romance of a simple classic automatic timepiece.

On the other hand, you do tend to see a more contemporary feel in that red tipped seconds hand, the case size and lug width. It doesn't bother me too much though I do occasionally wish Orient had made a smaller case size, when I look at my other pieces like my Tissot Bridgeport, my Orient Star or Oceanus. Then again, I have a love for imperfection as well, so this Bambino is a winner in my eyes.

The watch movement - I think it's called the F67 calibre by Orient - is made by Orient in-house, in Japan itself I think. It comes with hand-winding and also freezes the second hand if the crown is pulled out to the outermost position. To me, hand windability is an essential feature and so this piece ticked that check box instantly. Date quickest of course and again, one of my prerequisites on any watch with a day or date feature.

I definitely love the acrylic crystal but as my taste evolved over these several months, I find myself playing with the idea of getting a watchmaker to install a domed sapphire crystal instead. 30 metres of water resistance isn't much, but my watch can take a bit of rain or an occasional sprinkle if I wipe it dry soon.

Accuracy is not something I look for, if I've made the decision to wear an automatic watch. It tells time, and it tells me the right time. I've never measured how many seconds it's gained or lost but I guess maybe about 30-45 seconds at most each day, at my best guess. Could be just this piece, from what I've heard from other Bambino owners. As for power reserve on a full wind, this watch has clocked a little over 40 hours for me.

This is a great dress watch. I'm really not sure how many years it's going to last before I need to get it serviced, if any watchmaker will agree to service this beauty at all in the first place, instead of asking me to discard it and buy a new piece altogether. But I'm hopeful for at least 5 years if not more. I'd hate to part with this watch, it's so different from all my other timepieces.

This might not have been a very comprehensive review but I hope it did do some justice to this watch and give you some idea about what to expect for the $150 price range from Japan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Nice. You look cool in it and glad you enjoy your watch. It looks almost like my Bambino V4 except that mine has the Brown dial. For its price point, the Bambino is good value. I might write a review of the Bambino once I start using it more often.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. You look cool in it and glad you enjoy your watch. It looks almost like my Bambino V4 except that mine has the Brown dial. For its price point, the Bambino is good value. I might write a review of the Bambino once I start using it more often.
Thank you boss.

I've never seen a brown dial V4. Would love to see pics if you can upload. Especially with different strap and shirt options if you've experimented.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts