WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!!

I finally got in my Orient Quartz Diver. This will be a short review as I have only received it today. Also, as a side note, since I am new to watches I will be making my comparisons to my Seiko 5's.

When I opened my package I noticed that it was covered with a blue plastic, something the Seiko's did not have. Second, the face is larger than my Seiko's and to my suprise the Orient was taller/thicker. But weight wise it is about the same. The bezel on the Orient feels very solid with solid clicks. The Lume is awesome, puts the Seiko's to shame IMO. The band is solid SS, as compared to folded metal in the Seiko 5 links. As a side note I feel I will enjoy the larger watch, it is a "look at me" kind of watch. The clasp is not as good as the seikos, but it does have the diver suit extention. As for accuracy, I cannot compare, as the Seiko have the 7s26 mvt, while the Orient is an in-house Quartz. Water resistance will have to be noted later but with the screw down crown and case back it should be fine for a desk diver. Lastly, when adjusting the time/date the crown movement felt smoother and a little easier to move. In short, the Orient feels and looks nicer than the Seiko, and the Orient I feel is a steal at $80 shipped. The pictures I attached are from the seller born2watch and are his property.

Attachments

·
5,138 Posts
Welcome to the Orient club!

Thanks for the review and comparison. I'm betting it won't be your only Orient for very long!;-)

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am already eyeing a silver auto Orient diver. I know my review isn't terribily in depth but I hope I can convince people to give Orient an honest look.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Well done Nick.
Looks like a solid watch for sure.
Thanks for posting up your review!

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the white/blue is really sharp in person. They make automatics but not in this color combo.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Hey Motor have you seen the Orient 300m now thoughs are sweet looking watches IMO I think that they are equivalent to the MM 300m but then again 600m springdrive is nice to but double the cost:)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I do like Orient watches and own four................nice mini-review although I find the Seiko comparison somewhat humorous as Seiko owns Orient!!!:-d

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Now you need one in a blue dial :)

Gave my dad one for Xmas he loves it

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Reputedly, Orient is only partly owned by Seiko, and Seiko's role at Orient is merely a financial one, hence, Orient still develops and uses its own technology, and produces watches "independently" from Seiko. Also allegedly, Seiko has plans to change that at some point in the future, and bring the production in both companies closer together, but I have no idea if this is true or not, frankly, because the information I have is based on hearsay. Maybe someone can confirm or refute the information I have.

MMT
Yes, and no........................52% ownership is not only a large "part", it is absolute controlling interest. Since Seiko is an extremely successful company, I can only surmise that it watches its "investments" very closely. While Orient does operate "independently", it does so under the guidance of it Board and major shareowner.

Seiko "rescued" Orient as it was about to go bankrupt, leaving its management (for the most part), design team and production in place as separate entities, BUT, bottom line, no CEO in his right mind would have a 52% investment in a company that was on the verge of bankruptcy as a purely "financial" arrangement......rest assured that the underbelly of the beast is quite active. Yes, Orient still develops and uses its own technology, and produces watches "independently" from Seiko, under Seiko's watchful "guidance" and formula for success.

For the record....the shares are owned by the Seiko-Epson Division.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I got mine off of the Ebay from a guy named born2watch for 69 plus shipping.

Lol yep born2watch. He has 2 seller sites at ebay. Before Xmas it was I that bought all the blue divers he had, in a lil off bay deal, first 3 below :)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Since Orient and Seiko do have separate research and development departments that work "independently" from each other, wouldn't you agree then, that IT IS legitimate to compare both watch brands with one another?

MMT

Thank you for the elaborate info. :)
Absolutely....I am sorry if I left the impression that I was faulting you on that. I not only believe it is fair to compare orient to Seiko in a review, I believe it is fair/legitimate to compare the same manufacturer in a review; ie; Seiko vs Seiko, or Orient vs Orient.

My point was, and is, that despite design teams, etc., that work "independently" from each other, you can rest assured that both companies work and produce under the strict quality guidelines as set by Seiko. Bottom line, they work "independently" under specific restrictions. You can bet your bottom dollar, that if Orient strayed too far from the line, that the perception of "independence" would disappear......or perhaps, Orient itself would disappear.

Let me try to explain it this way.....Hamilton and Tissot have "independent" design teams, etc, but if either strayed far from the "Owner's" business guidlines, SWATCH Group would step in (in a heartbeat) and square the problem away due to the financial interests of the OWNER....Seiko OWNS orient!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Actually, you left the impression that you were faulting muxinick, not me! ;-) Our points weren't that far apart afterall! We just saw them from slightly different angles. Also, please note that I always put quotation marks whenever I used the word "independent". :-!

MMT
:oops: ...Well, didn't mean to fault anybody....it was a nice review! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts