WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
It's got the ER movement variation which means accuracy of +25 to -15 seconds daily, 21 jewels, non hand wind and non hacking. If you see "ER" in the model number, it will have the same movement. Eg CER****** or W*****ER

aahadk: haven't been able to find much info about the movement/accuracy so far.

i just ordered the white dialed version, though.

have been pretty pleased with my orient CEZ0R001B0 and blue mako, both of which i purchased for under a hundred.

the white "bambino" comes in at $182, with the current orient 30% off coupon factored in.

while i don't expect it to compare with your Visodate or SARB, i'm hoping the bambino will prove to be a good value nonetheless.

will try to post some impressions once mine arrives next week.

happy memorial day weekend, everyone!

·
Registered
319 Posts
thanks for the info, kew.

It's got the ER movement variation which means accuracy of +25 to -15 seconds daily, 21 jewels, non hand wind and non hacking. If you see "ER" in the model number, it will have the same movement. Eg CER****** or W*****ER

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm really trying not to buy one of these.

Is it a 40mm case or 38mm as it says on Orient's Website? Just curious as I saw one post that said it was 40mm.

·
Registered
319 Posts
doesn't seem like there's a definitive answer to be had yet, jackthedog...

i've seen some posts refer to it as 40mm, too.

however, the orient usa site uses the figure 38.5mm.

watches88 lists it as "43 mm with crown."

yeoman's watch review referenced earlier in the thread lists it as "40.5mm without crown."

at least there's a consensus about the general ballpark. lol

according to UPS, mine should be here on tuesday, so i'll be able to post a measurement soon.

·
Registered
570 Posts
aahadk: haven't been able to find much info about the movement/accuracy so far.

i just ordered the white dialed version, though.

have been pretty pleased with my orient CEZ0R001B0 and blue mako, both of which i purchased for under a hundred.

the white "bambino" comes in at $182, with the current orient 30% off coupon factored in.

while i don't expect it to compare with your Visodate or SARB, i'm hoping the bambino will prove to be a good value nonetheless.

will try to post some impressions once mine arrives next week.

happy memorial day weekend, everyone!
About to buy this watch - great classic looks. Where do I obtain the discount code?

·
Registered
131 Posts
doesn't seem like there's a definitive answer to be had yet, jackthedog...

i've seen some posts refer to it as 40mm, too.

however, the orient usa site uses the figure 38.5mm.

watches88 lists it as "43 mm with crown."

yeoman's watch review referenced earlier in the thread lists it as "40.5mm without crown."

at least there's a consensus about the general ballpark. lol

according to UPS, mine should be here on tuesday, so i'll be able to post a measurement soon.
Thanks, that would be very helpful!

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
This is a great affordable dress watch. This is a classic looking watch.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm looking for a watch that would be my dressiest. I'm losing out on a lot of auctions for vintage manual-wind Seamasters. I don't want to pay more than $300 and I don't want to get into a restoration, so this is a strong candidate.

Did anyone else consider the quartz UG1R002B "Capital"? It's about 4mm thinner, but I don't like the "day" display, and if you're only going to save $50, the automatic seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Very good to know. However, I know that this movement isn't the same one that's in the Mako, Ray, etc (Caliber 46943), so that was my concern. They just state "mechanical movement."

Is there anywhere that I could get the specifics on the movement? A previous poster mentioned +25/-15 secs on this "ER" movement...that's a bit of a turn-off compared to the dead-nuts Mako/Ray movements.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Very good to know. However, I know that this movement isn't the same one that's in the Mako, Ray, etc (Caliber 46943), so that was my concern. They just state "mechanical movement."

Is there anywhere that I could get the specifics on the movement? A previous poster mentioned +25/-15 secs on this "ER" movement...that's a bit of a turn-off compared to the dead-nuts Mako/Ray movements.
Whether its a Seiko 7S26, 7S36, 6R15, or Orient 46943, ET46B, 48D40 doesn't really matter. Basically they are all rated at about the same acceptable accuracy which I believe is higher than the +25/-15 listed in this post (e.g. +35/-25 or +45/-35 I can't remember exactly) in any case, though the various automatic movements produced by Seiko and Orient have ratings like this in my experience they all perform much better than this on average. I own four Orients and the worst performer is about +10 secs. The individual accuracy of pretty much any of the low to mid range autos produced by either company is in part just the luck of the draw but the good news is that you are more likely more likely to get exceptional accuracy at an affordable price with Orient and Seiko than most other companies (Swiss or any other).

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Whether its a Seiko 7S26, 7S36, 6R15, or Orient 46943, ET46B, 48D40 doesn't really matter. Basically they are all rated at about the same acceptable accuracy which I believe is higher than the +25/-15 listed in this post (e.g. +35/-25 or +45/-35 I can't remember exactly) in any case, though the various automatic movements produced by Seiko and Orient have ratings like this in my experience they all perform much better than this on average. I own four Orients and the worst performer is about +10 secs. The individual accuracy of pretty much any of the low to mid range autos produced by either company is in part just the luck of the draw but the good news is that you are more likely more likely to get exceptional accuracy at an affordable price with Orient and Seiko than most other companies (Swiss or any other).
Truth.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just ordered mine with the white dial and stainless case. This watch is just too classic to pass up. Will give a full report when it comes!

Anyone know how long OrientUSA's shipping time (ground) generally takes?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have this variation of the model winging its way from Malaysia..Cheers
Congrats on the new watch anzac. The classic design of these watches is very appealing and I wouldn't be at all surprised if one ends up winging its way to my home before the year is out.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My Bambino has landed!

Here are a couple initial photos and impressions.

While it may not exude the same quality as a Tissot Visodate or Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic, the Orient Bambino is undeniably attractive. With its heavily domed crystal and restrained minimalistic styling, it is nicely retro, not cloyingly so.

The face looks like it has a pie pan slope to it, something that isn't really noticeable in the photos I've seen of it.

Although billed as "white," mine has a bit of a tint to it: it isn't a cool arctic white, but rather a warmer, slightly silvery white.

The only thing that irks me about the face is the date window. I wish it had been left off altogether, rather than positioned to take an awkward bite out of the 3 o'clock indicator. I won't lose any sleep over it, though.

The case looks to be 40-41mm. This is not a scientific measurement but the best I could determine with my limited set of tools (an old wooden ruler and antique analog calipers).

It is a little larger than many traditional dress watches, but not so much that it seems garish or oversized on my 6.5" wrist. That said, it definitely has presence and wears large, due to the thin bezel.

Some mild rotor noise is audible when you move your wrist, but not much: the Bambino is pretty quiet.

The leather strap is a little shiny for my tastes, but better than I expected at this price point. The color is an attractive dark, deep brown (with a faint hint of red) that complements the watch nicely.

Lug size is 21mm. While bummed that Orient opted for a non-standard size here, I'm going to try to look at the glass as half full: a 20mm strap would probably have been overwhelmed, given that the watch wears large. Might have been nice if Orient had just gone the extra millimeter and made it a standard 22, though.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Bambino (in spite of its unfortunate nickname). It is a keeper -- a light, comfortable, classic looking watch appropriate for both dress and casual wear.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 63 Posts