WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orient GMT Polaris.jpg

I posted about this watch on another forum, but thought it worth posting here as well.
I love GMT models. My 1971 Accutron Astronaut and my Christopher Ward 600 GMT now have a new friend that has just arrived.
Quite a bit of time was spent checking as many GMT models as I could find. The "Star" GMT was double the price of the Polaris (closer to three times for my transaction). Did I really need a rotating bezel and a third timezone? Besides the Polaris had a cleaner face. I couldn't find a white one for the price, so a black one it is, and just as nice.
50 mtr water resistance is enough for accidents. (beside the CWard is good for 600 mtrs. and has me covered there, not to mention the Turtle.)
The power reserve display is a good feature. 42 hour power reserve. Cal. 40P51 Automatic, Hand-winding, Hacking Movement. Sapphire crystal. 42mm x 12 high with a 22mm lug width.

Anyway, just a quick first impression. It looks very well finished and elegant with a far simpler and clean face than the Orient Star / Star Seeker. I had read that the strap was not too good, but this one came with a good deployant type clasp. True, the leather is very stiff, but bends if you work at it. The silver hands and markers harmonize beautifully against a rice pattern center background, One simple crown unsigned, and a completely polished case with a glass back complete the picture.

Some additional thoughts and comparisons:
I forgot to mention that I also have a 1959 Rolex GMT left to me by a very close departed friend. It is interesting to compare it to my Christopher Ward GMT. One can see the modern advances that have taken place.
Rolex - aluminium bezel. C.Ward - ceramic
plexiglass crystal - sapphire (also on Orient Polaris)
No hacking - hacking (also on Orient Polaris)
No fast date set - fast date set (also on Orient Polaris)
GMT hand fixed - GMT hand independently controlled (also on Orient Polaris)
bracelet hollow endlinks - solid endlinks
100?mtr water resist - 600 mtr water resist

My point here is not to make fun of the Rolex, but to note the different ways one can read a second time zone. The Rolex does this by simply rotating the bezel until the second time is opposite the GMT hand. The CW can also do that, but it is also possible to move the GMT hand to a time on the bezel, leaving the bezel alone.
Some watches have the second time zone in a separate digital window, like my Accutron Astronaut. A third time zone becomes possible with a second rotating inner 24hr scale
This Polaris is a fine dressy watch and good value. I will enjoy this I think, although I am yet to time check it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts