WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I was thinking about buying an Orient Mako. I only own quartz watches, but nowadays I want an automatic more and more. Do you think they're any good? And other recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Depends on what you want as far as looks go. Mako was my first auto about three years ago, and I just got the Seiko 007 this weekend. If I could do it again, I would have just purchased the 007 from the get go. Again, that is hindsight because I got to experience both watches. But for sure the 007 is the better quality watch.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Mako is a beautiful watch and functions really well. It also goes with a lot of stuff and can be semi dressed up if need be. I love my Mako and I highly recommend it

Sent from my dohickey using the thingamybob

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I'd say go for the Orient Ray. It has better lume (if that matters to you... and it should! haha), and I prefer the indices and bezel insert on the Ray more than the Mako. I've owned both.

Randy

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I had an Orange Mako that was my first dive watch, it was great, you can't go wrong with either the Mako or Ray. I've been thinking of getting a Blue Ray myself.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have an Orient Mako, and it just may be my most favoritist watch. It is built like a tank, looks good in any setting, dresses up on leather and down on NATO straps, and is extremely versatile. If I had it to do over, I may get the Ray, however. Ultimately, it's the same watch so it comes down to which dial you like more. I also have a Mako XL (orange bezel) and I'm thinking about getting an XL in blue.

Get the Orient with confidence.

-hayday

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just picked up a Mako from a private seller in f29, and I really like it. Like you, all my other watches were quartz (except for my HMT pilot), so it's my first automatic.

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
It is my understanding that the Mako has a design flaw: being with day/date display, there is that quick advance button for setting one of the two, ostensibly for dealing with different number of days. The sensible way to do it, such as the 2MWF 2427 and 2428 movements, is to make the quick advance pushbutton to advance the date; after all you never jump from a Monday to a Wednesday. But this pushbutton on an Orient movement advances the day instead. That is something worth considering, as part of your mechanical watch experience.

·
Registered
173 Posts
On the ray, the crown has a position to change the date, and the push button changes the day. Not sure how you'd prefer it to work, but it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Depends on your price and what you're looking for.

Mako is a fine choice. I would recommend the Seiko 7 over it though. Depending on if you're only looking for divers or your price range, I do think there are better watches out there :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Seiko 7 is bigger which may be a plus/minus, depending on the wearer but in what other ways is the 7 superior to the Mako? From my limited experience and from what I've read as far as getting a more accurate movement out of the box, I'd take my chances with the Orient.

Depends on your price and what you're looking for.

Mako is a fine choice. I would recommend the Seiko 7 over it though. Depending on if you're only looking for divers or your price range, I do think there are better watches out there :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts