WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, is there any fan of orient watches? It is clear to me that Orient Matic is quite a rarity, but has anyone seen a model with 17 Jewels? I know the standard model with 21 jewels is Cal.1743, but here? The movement looks the same. I only think it could be a US export version? I know a little about their precious stone policy in the 1950s, maybe the 1960s.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I can't tell you much about the movement. The watch itself is very similar to the Titus Calypsomatic \ Technos Skydiver family. If guess must-have 60s from the case shape. The bezel looks like an aftermarket piece from Lobtime who makes replacements for Technos\Titus. Your dial is in spectacular shape.

Yes, the U.S. Had weird things with jewels on their import laws. That could definitely have played a factor. Higher jewel count movements carried higher duties if my memory serves correct.

Either way, it's a fantastic example. Enjoy it.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't tell you much about the movement. The watch itself is very similar to the Titus Calypsomatic \ Technos Skydiver family. If guess must-have 60s from the case shape. The bezel looks like an aftermarket piece from Lobtime who makes replacements for Technos\Titus. Your dial is in spectacular shape.

Yes, the U.S. Had weird things with jewels on their import laws. That could definitely have played a factor. Higher jewel count movements carried higher duties if my memory serves correct.

Either way, it's a fantastic example. Enjoy it.

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk
Yes, it certainly belongs to the calypso-sky family. I'm sure the model I know has 21 jewels and 1743 caliber. Their difference is on the dial, which is marked with 21 jewels and the rotor is also marked with different number of stones and also the caliber number. The rotor is slightly different. This (in my watch) reminds me of one who was in 62 seiko.

About movement: I read some details about a 1724 caliber that had just 17 jewels. Unfortunately, I can't find it and I do not know at all that it was used in the Orient Skin Diver.

Still the question: Can we read anything from the text below on the dial? I mean JAPAN Y72657-120.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hello, is there any fan of orient watches? It is clear to me that Orient Matic is quite a rarity, but has anyone seen a model with 17 Jewels? I know the standard model with 21 jewels is Cal.1743, but here? The movement looks the same. I only think it could be a US export version? I know a little about their precious stone policy in the 1950s, maybe the 1960s.

Thanks in advance
Can't help with the indentification, but that's a really nice old Orient! What a massive crown it has!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know anything about it, nor have I seen one before, but it's a beautiful little watch. I might even describe it as a 'cute' watch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts