WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1341 - 1360 of 1425 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts

This is what I would call a re-mod. The first photo shows the re-do. The second photo is version 1.

This is the mod I call my "Tokyo Bay." The original version was nice and I got some compliments on it. But the more I looked at it, the more it did not look right. It was the hands. The hands themselves are very nice, but they were made for a Seiko with a smaller dial. The scale was off. The hands were too thin and too short for the larger size of the Orient dial.

The new version has a replacement set of hands that are longer and larger. The seller is greenstars0614 on Ebay. The original hands were 8mm/12mm/12mm. The new hands are 9.5mm/13mm/13.5mm. The difference is dramatic. This seller has other hand styles that fit Seiko automatic movements and, therefore, Orient automatic movements. Some of these were likely made for Chinese manufactured watches using Seiko movements. This is to our benefit, because they don't always use the smaller dial that you find on an SKX or similar Seiko. Most of the mod part hands are going to be for those smaller dials.

The crystal is a slightly domed sapphire from Crystaltimes. The bezel is a coin edge from Long Island Watch. The insert is an aluminum insert from wholesaleoutlet990 on Ebay.

I also replaced the stock Ray II bracelet with a new "316L Solid Stainless Steel Watch Band 22MM Made to Fit Orient Mako and Ray Watch" from passthewatch on Ebay. It has solid end links that fit perfectly. It uses a pin and collar system, which is a pain, but it has a machined clasp and is a very nice bracelet for $39.99. (They also sell a jubilee style bracelet for the Mako and Ray II).

I am really happy with this mod. I was so happy with it, that I decided I needed to make a blue "Tokyo Bay."

I love it too! This one is shown on a black tropic, but I also made a nice leather strap for it. I may end up getting another one of those passthewatch bracelets for it too. The bezel on this one is jammed, but that is a story for another post.

The crystal on this one is the domed sapphire from Crystal Times (more pronounced dome), the bezel is from Long Island Watch, and the insert is from wholesaleoutlet990.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Gawa,

Very nice looking.

I've seen that bracelet from PtW, the end link fit looks really good. Any chance of more pics including the clasp?

·
Registered
372 Posts
The clasp on the PasstheWatch bracelets is nice enough. It is the standard machined clasp that you find on lots of bracelets. You can buy these clasps on Ebay or Aliexpress to upgrade your Orient bracelets as well.

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
648 Posts
I just got an offer from that seller to get the jubilee bracelet for $32 after I added it to my eBay watch list.
I watched it and got the same offer.
I'm waiting for arrival of my new Kamasu though. Splurged a little, I was going to just get a Ray 2.
But staring a the seiko on my wrist i assume I would beat the mineral crystal into submission too fast and went for the upgrade on the saphire alone
If I don't like the stock bracelet i'll burn that bridge later. Strapcode's an option.

Short version, that seller will offer a discount if you watch or follow their options it seems.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Thanks for the bracelet pics, I sorta knew what to expect but it's always good to get a 'real user' shot vs. some advert. pic.

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
648 Posts
Looks fantastic!!!

Reactions: spetzchr

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Beautiful! The insert color is great, a nice change of pace from bright blue inserts.

From your photos the insert has a matte finish? Fit between the crystal and insert looks factory. How is the bezel fit and action, I know Harold's reputation for top quality parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Beautiful! The insert color is great, a nice change of pace from bright blue inserts.

From your photos the insert has a matte finish? Fit between the crystal and insert looks factory. How is the bezel fit and action, I know Harold's reputation for top quality parts.
No its not matte, its glossy. its a difficult colour to capture in a photo, because it changes so much in the different lighting conditions.

In the sun its almost light blue, in the shadows its a nearly perfect match to the dial and under artificial light it almost looks petroleum - blueish green.
The bezel action is superb, i chose yobokies because the CE is not as tall as the other aftermarket options and tapers slightly towards the top.

The Crystal sits flush with the bezel insert, but it lost the nice slope the original bezel had.

I've attached better photos.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Thanks for the additional photos. I can see the color change, I like it. You're the first member on this forum to mention the bezel height, good to know that Yobokies is shorter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the additional photos. I can see the color change, I like it. You're the first member on this forum to mention the bezel height, good to know that Yobokies is shorter.
yea that was kind of the point why i was so picky and annoying on the forums.

Imma use @guspech750 s photo to showcase what I mean

This is an old yobokies bezel, the dlw and namokies are equally as tall, they have no tapering whatsoever. they just go straight up from the clickspring to the edge of the crystal.

This one is mine. It tapers on the bottom and the top. this is the newer yobokies design for the ray/mako.
Just order a CE bezel from Harold and this is what you will receive, even if the old, tall version is still shown on his website.
It's confusing, I know, I had to have a fair bit of convo with harold to learn all of this.

@guspech750 made this observation too, with his ray raven bezel. I guess that one was the first to use the new tapered design.

So the Yobokies model is just a lot more refined than everything else on the market rn. But it comes with a hefty price tag, and still won't accept sloped inserts.
If somebody would just make a sleek bezel that makes sloped inserts flush with a dd crystal, I'd be so happy.

I wish there was some option to get this look: Stock Bezel with DD crystal: Flush slope from the clickspring to the top of the dome. But there isn't.

This is my community service. I hope you all liked my write up.

1341 - 1360 of 1425 Posts