WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1361 - 1380 of 1407 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks! That is very helpful. The look of the stock bezel with domed and slightly domed crystals is awesome.

The information on the yobokies bezel is very helpful. It is a different look than the LIW or Crystal Times coin edge bezels. Not necessarily better, but certainly good for variety.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
The Mako/Ray aftermarket bezel height has been an issue since the first bezels were introduced. From what I've figured, the bezels are machined to SKX measurements including the bezel height and insert height. The Mako/Ray bezel is shorter w/ a lower insert height.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What do you think about bracelet from strapcode?
Transformed the watch. The stock bracelet was getting on my nerves, as it ate springbars for breakfast (bent 5 springbars in one year between me and my buddy who owns a black mako, with normal daily use) which sucks, because the diameter of the stock sping bar hole in the bracelet is 1,6mm, which is an awkward in-between size no one carries. It also rattled like a dog collar as it bent the spring bars.

So i splurged on an expensive strapcode and honestly never looked back.

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
587 Posts
That Mako 1 looks great with the coke bezel.

Reactions: mydemise

·
Registered
37 Posts
One of my Orient President's, got this one unintentionally by ordering a non be-jewelled model from souk.com in Dubai but was sent this incorrect watch instead. Seller wouldn't take it back so I made the best of the situation with some mods and now I'm really enjoying it even if its a bit small for my wrist.

Mods;
  • Longer leaf hands, slightly bent to clear the indices. The factory hands were so short it looked a little silly and I'd seen pics of vintage oysters with leaf hands and thought they were elegant.
  • A very soft alligator strap I picked up on my last adventure in Vietnam.
  • solid endlinks for leather strap type.

·
Registered
Orient Mako II black (moded), Orient Star Open heart white, Zeppelin LZ129 and few more
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
This is my first post here. I read all the thread and found tons of useful ideas and info, and decided to share my mod and experience that may be (hopefully) helpful to someone or maybe one would get the idea for his/her perfect orient mod (like I did).:)
  • CT015 - Flat Sapphire Crystal with Blue AR (from seikomods shop, since crystaltimes doesn't ship their items to Germany), ordered with their replacement crystal gasket.
  • CE bezel from Namokimods (p/n 19001)
  • Glass Bezel Insert Vintage Sub Style Black/White from Namokimods (p/n 20076, came with 3M adhesive tape).
I don't have a watch crystal press (ordered one on ebay, but didn't get it yet), so had to find another way to do the mod. I found two clamps (or how to call them? seems like from something like a table-mounted lamp) and used them with the adapters for an ebay-sold watch press (yes, adapters came but no press was in the box). One hint to those willing to do the job - it would be nice to place a piece of plastic bag (for instance, from the crystall) in between the crystal and the press adapter while pressing it into the case so the adapter didn't leave any scratches.
I did replacement in one of those clean benches that biologists used for a sterile bacteria seeding :) so while I didn't have proper tools I still had a perfect dust-free working space :) .

I ordered flat sapphire crystal so it did fit both the aftermarket bezel with flat inserts (or domed like in my case) and the original bezel. The original crystal gasket is transparent and has the L-shaped profile while the aftermarket one is black and I-shaped. Because of the shape and the color (I thought it may be visible through the crystal from the side) and after inspection I decided that the original one is a better way to try my first ever watch DIY job (also if I would mess it from the first attempt I'd still have a NEW replacement one). Also the L-shaped gasket ensures that I won't crush the crystal by pushing it too hard into the case.

Next is the bezel insert and the bezel itself. The bezel from namokimods came with an installed thin black gasket. After installation of it, I found that while rotation is fine (more on the easy side to me, but OK) the bezel had a play along the dial plane - while looking on the dial the bezel could be slightly shifted up (to 12 mark) or down (to 6). This play was removed by replacing the namokimods' bezel gasket with the original one. It seems and feels a tad thicker than the one installed into the CE bezel. With original gasket it's a bit harder to rotate the bezel now but for me it was more important to get rid of that annoying wobble that one would feel each time while rotating the bezel.
I was afraid that the bezel may stick from the watch and spoil the look of the original sleek design (with original bezel), but while on the pictures it looks like it will, in reality it doesn't and with domed insert looks great.

The insert is great and stuck to the bezel without any problems - it's just of a perfect diameter for the bezel, made of glass (don't know which though) and is domed so now the watch crystal is protected by the insert. Nothing more to add, honestly. Except for one thing - it wasn't mentioned on the site, but it is lumed (the digits and a circle on a red marker)! The lume is dim and fades fast, but it is there (which was a pleasant surprise for me)!

One more thing to say. I thought about getting the yobukies' CE bezel that was mentioned here to have an edge slope in the new version. But, while answering my email, Harold didn't give any confirmation regarding the change of the design in comparison to the one that is on his website at the moment. Truth be told I also wrote to yobukies and have to tell that both (no fence to any of them, just personal opinion) could pay a bit more attention to the actual question that the customer was looking for an answer to (the support of namokimods stated that I'd have to source the 3M tape for the insert myself despite it's clearly stated on their website that their inserts come with it). But the main reason for my decision was the price for yobukies - for me personally it was hard to justify the double of the price of the bezel from yobukies. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that this is not my last mod and I'll have an opportunity to compare them at some point :)

Despite the miscommunication and a small drawback with the bezel gasket I'm absolutely happy with the result - the watch looks and feels absolutely perfect to me. I noticed that my Mako fast became my favorite day-to-day watch due to the easy-read dial and the day-date window that I miss sometimes wearing my other watches. The aluminium bezel insert and easy scratching mineral glass did reduce a lot the appearance of it (you can see what work in the laboratory did to the glass after two years of moderately careful wearing). But now... The phone photo just can't show the change in the watch appearance.

I'd appreciate any comments, especially on where to source good nylon or leather nato straps since mine is already quite worn (and to be honest a bit harsh to the touch). I've made a leather one prior to the parts arrival but now it doesn't seem to fit the watch.

Also, any thoughts of experienced modders/watch makers on whether should I re-open the watch and replace the gasket when the press would arrive (in this case I'd appreciate for a hints on how to push out the new crystal without compromising the AR coating and leaving no dust/traces/scratches from the press adapter) are appreciated. I did check and clean the original one (it wasn't dirty actually) but it bothers me a bit - despite I'm not a diver I'd like it to withstand the occasional dive to 3-4m on a vacation or a shower.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello guys ! I'm new to modding, and I would try to mod a Mako. With these parts, will I have a nice alignment between the dome sapphire and the sloppy bezel insert ?
- DLW double dome sapphire
  • DLW coin edge bezel
  • DLW ceramic insert sloping design.

I read that sometimes there is a gap between the crystal and the bezel, and I want to avoid that..

Thanks

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hello guys ! I'm new to modding, and I would try to mod a Mako. With these parts, will I have a nice alignment between the dome sapphire and the sloppy bezel insert ?
- DLW double dome sapphire
  • DLW coin edge bezel
  • DLW ceramic insert sloping design.

I read that sometimes there is a gap between the crystal and the bezel, and I want to avoid that..

Thanks
Need to use a flat insert with dlw crystal. Per a discussion with Damien via email

You can use the slope ceramic insert + the orient bezel + keep crystal original.
But the insert will fit slightly higher than the glass.

Please see information below for full explanation.

Recommended combination for Orient Mods:
1. Orient coin edge bezel
  • a must if you want to use skx007 inserts
  • BEZELS
2. Flat inserts for skx007
3. Sapphire double dome for orient
4. All hands we have will fit too
- HANDS

Other combinations
Technically you can use the Orient coin edge bezel + Slope inserts for skx007 (e.g. 007 sub black) but doing so the insert will sit slightly taller than the crystal. The result is actually quite okay in my opinion; see attached photos.

Important Note
However, the skx007 slope insert will NOTwork with the Orient sapphire double dome crystal.
The skx007 slope insert will not fit at all if the sapphire is installed onto the watch.

Regards,
DLW Team

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, thank you very much !

What would be the best option for a slope design ? Namoki says that their sapphire crystal will perfectly flush with sloped bezel : any, or juste theirs ?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ok, thank you very much !

What would be the best option for a slope design ? Namoki says that their sapphire crystal will perfectly flush with sloped bezel : any, or juste theirs ?
I’d suggest going namoki if that’s the look you want, their crystal and bezel at least

·
Registered
Casio F-91W
610 Posts
The bezel action is superb, i chose yobokies because the CE is not as tall as the other aftermarket options and tapers slightly towards the top.

The Crystal sits flush with the bezel insert, but it lost the nice slope the original bezel had.

I've attached better photos.
View attachment 15712970

View attachment 15712971

View attachment 15712973

View attachment 15712976
The stock Mako 2 bezel is 2.9mm in height and a total of 4mm if we include the top of the sloped insert. As much as I want to mod it, love it for its seamless slope into the case.

The bezel on the Lorier Neptune S3 is also 2.9mm in height.

Do you have the measurements of the Yobokies bezel?

·
Registered
587 Posts
No issue putting a DLW insert on a namoki bezel I assume ?
Check with them, I have not done it, but looking at their website it doesn’t seem to be an issue

Edit: reread the above.
I wouldn't imagine there is? But I can't speak to it myself. Does namokies not have the style you want?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check with them, I have not done it, but looking at their website it doesn’t seem to be an issue

Edit: reread the above.
I wouldn't imagine there is? But I can't speak to it myself. Does namokies not have the style you want?
Precisely they don't, I would like the amber bezel from DLW. I send them a email, we shall see

1361 - 1380 of 1407 Posts