WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1401 - 1420 of 1442 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
That Orient ER2F002W titanium mod looks great. So clean I would have thought it was a stock factory watch. Looks amazing. Nice work.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ok, heres another of my non mako/ray mods: a ER2F002W titanium.

Wanted this watch for the longest time, but by the time I fell for it they were out of production and none on the used market. So getting my hands on it was not straight forward.
Found this one for sale in Russia, but they wouldn't post internationally, my girlfriend at the time lived in Belarus, so asked her to bring it with her a few months later when we met in Greece. Luckily the watch ran well, not so luckily that relationship didn't.

Anyway, the simple mods are:
  • longer dauphine hands swapped in, which I also differentially brushed/polished. The old hands were lumed (which doens't suit this unlumed dial in my opinion) and too short (typical Orient)
  • longer blue seconds hand with diamond tail, matching the minute ticks on the chapter ring.
  • brown suede strap

View attachment 15877139

View attachment 15877140

Really happy with this elegant piece, its light in the hand and refined to the eye.
That is one nice mod. Really well done. Where did you find the hands? What is the dial size?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Thanks guys, This project really showed me how sometimes a few little tweaks can make a big difference to the final result.
I do love this piece, its too bad it doesn't get more wrist time really, I'll have to sell it one day, set it free to find more love elsewhere, fitting really considering what it means to me.
Maybe by the time I have 100 posts and am allowed to sell on WUS i'll be ready to let it go.

As for the hands, they 15mm and 9mm generic ETA 2824 dauphine hands, which i masked off one side of the bevel and brushed linearly, being careful not to brush down to the base brass. Usually hands would both be brushed on the same side of the bevel, but for these i did opposing sides so as the hands track around the dial the brushed sides will dance between each other meeting then opposing.

Dial size i'm not sure, never measured, its in the realm of 41mm so requires the longer 15mm hands rather than the usual 13mm you see out there for NH35's.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks guys, This project really showed me how sometimes a few little tweaks can make a big difference to the final result.
I do love this piece, its too bad it doesn't get more wrist time really, I'll have to sell it one day, set it free to find more love elsewhere, fitting really considering what it means to me.
Maybe by the time I have 100 posts and am allowed to sell on WUS i'll be ready to let it go.

As for the hands, they 15mm and 9mm generic ETA 2824 dauphine hands, which i masked off one side of the bevel and brushed linearly, being careful not to brush down to the base brass. Usually hands would both be brushed on the same side of the bevel, but for these i did opposing sides so as the hands track around the dial the brushed sides will dance between each other meeting then opposing.

Dial size i'm not sure, never measured, its in the realm of 41mm so requires the longer 15mm hands rather than the usual 13mm you see out there for NH35's.
Thanks! I did not realize ETA hands would fit on an Orient (and I guess a Seiko too).

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Picked up an Orient Kamasu from Amazon.ca for no reason other than it was an amazing deal (I have WAY TOO MANY WATCHES NOW). They’ve been $290 CAD or less the past week or two. I ordered a Long Island Watch sub style bezel, fully lumed ceramic insert and a strapcode Oyster bracelet. It’s amazing what a quality watch you can build for only a few hundred dollars with a few simple upgrades.

As others have stated, the Kamasu bezel was much more difficult to remove than on an Orient Mako/Ray/USA. I’ve done the same bezel mod to my Mako USA II and the stock bezel was relatively easy to remove with a caseback knife. I tried for 2 hours before giving up, deciding I’d pay a watchmaker instead of scratching the case or injuring myself. I tried all kinds of metal pry tools with no success.

I then tried this nifty blue plastic pry bar I got from a cell phone repair tool kit. Amazingly it worked like a charm on the first attempt! It was small enough to fit under the bezel at the 6 o’clock position, yet strong enough to pry the bezel up. I had to use very little force and best of all no damage to the watch or my hand/fingers as it’s plastic. I linked the tool below on Amazon.ca (I’d assume Amazon.com sells this thing too). A cheap and highly effective bezel removing tool to add to your watch toolkit.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Picked up an Orient Kamasu from Amazon.ca for no reason other than it was an amazing deal (I have WAY TOO MANY WATCHES NOW). They’ve been $290 CAD or less the past week or two. I ordered a Long Island Watch sub style bezel, fully lumed ceramic insert and a strapcode Oyster bracelet. It’s amazing what a quality watch you can build for only a few hundred dollars with a few simple upgrades.

As others have stated, the Kamasu bezel was much more difficult to remove than on an Orient Mako/Ray/USA. I’ve done the same bezel mod to my Mako USA II and the stock bezel was relatively easy to remove with a caseback knife. I tried for 2 hours before giving up, deciding I’d pay a watchmaker instead of scratching the case or injuring myself. I tried all kinds of metal pry tools with no success.

I then tried this nifty blue plastic pry bar I got from a cell phone repair tool kit. Amazingly it worked like a charm on the first attempt! It was small enough to fit under the bezel at the 6 o’clock position, yet strong enough to pry the bezel up. I had to use very little force and best of all no damage to the watch or my hand/fingers as it’s plastic. I linked the tool below on Amazon.ca (I’d assume Amazon.com sells this thing too). A cheap and highly effective bezel removing tool to add to your watch toolkit.

View attachment 15895204
View attachment 15895205
View attachment 15895206
View attachment 15895207
Nice mod! And thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
Seiko, Orient and now Addiesdive
664 Posts
Very cool! Great mod tip too.

Enjoy!!

Reactions: mi6_

·
Registered
286 Posts
Afternoon all, here I present for your consideration an Orient Star Seeker, I bought this one on a whim from another awesome WUS user, it arrived in good shape though a little worn, looking like it has served someone well in the past and is ready to go another round.
The day it arrived I just had to swap out the hands, the original Orient ones I always thought were woefully under sized and disappeared into the black dial in most lighting conditions.
So off they came and on went these Dauphine type hand that still echo the originals skeleton cut out design along with a longer seconds hand with a fat tail, all much more legible and very shiny.

But recently I'm torn and feel that the hour hand is too long, extending well beyond the indices and into the lume dots, but at a glance the hands look proportional against the black dial because the rotating bezel is visually part of the dial although technically seperate. I really love the aesthetic of the skeleton dauphine hands but I may have to switch to some pointed baton hands if the length keeps bothering me. Opinions, are they too long ?

Anyway I've had it for a few months now and am really enjoying it. Runs about +7 a day (faster is always preferable) and I can, importantly, track the time in both Kingston and Guangzhou.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A SER20002B, the stock Dauphine hands were swapped out with something a little more fitting with the dial, these are longer baton hands with a black centre reminiscent of Daytonas, along with a much longer and thicker seconds hand that stands stark agains the dial and hits the seconds ticks.

Also a an ostrich strap that disappointingly has hardly any of the dimpled texture that you'd buy and ostrich strap for.

Really happy with the hands. On the factory metal bracelet it looks very cohesive and sporting.

But I never wear this anymore, my tastes have since changed and now it sits mostly dormant. I should sell it sometime, really I should be selling at least half my watches....

·
Registered
168 Posts
An SER20002B, the stock Dauphine hands were swapped out with something a little more cohesive with the dial, these are longer baton hands with a black centre reminiscent of Daytonas, along with a much longer and thicker seconds hand that stands stark agains the dial and hits the seconds ticks.
Really happy with the hands.

Also a an ostrich strap that disappointingly has hardly any of the dimpled texture that you'd buy and ostrich strap for.

View attachment 15973512

View attachment 15973513

But I never wear this anymore, my tastes have since changed and now it sits mostly dormant. I should sell it sometime, really I should be selling at least half my watches....
Beautiful hands, can you share from where you bought them?

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro Premium Edition using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Afternoon all, here I present for your consideration an Orient Star Seeker, I bought this one on a whim from another awesome WUS user, it arrived in good shape though a little worn, looking like it has served someone well in the past and is ready to go another round.
The day it arrived I just had to swap out the hands, the original Orient ones I always thought were woefully under sized and disappeared into the black dial in most lighting conditions.
So off they came and on went these Dauphine type hand that still echo the originals skeleton cut out design along with a longer seconds hand with a fat tail, all much more legible and very shiny.

But recently I'm torn and feel that the hour hand is too long, extending well beyond the indices and into the lume dots, but at a glance the hands look proportional against the black dial because the rotating bezel is visually part of the dial although technically seperate. I really love the aesthetic of the skeleton dauphine hands but I may have to switch to some pointed baton hands if the length keeps bothering me. Opinions, are they too long ?

Anyway I've had it for a few months now and am really enjoying it. Runs about +7 a day (faster is always preferable) and I can, importantly, track the time in both Kingston and Guangzhou.

View attachment 15941459

View attachment 15941460

View attachment 15941456
I think they are perfect size. I love how you can see the power reserv through the hour hand.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro Premium Edition using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Your watch looks great! The hand lengths are fine IMO and really work w/ the classic dial / style. Very 'old school' bracelet.

BTW, you can post the seller's Ebay name so we can look them up.

·
Registered
286 Posts
an orient cex0p001b, not common any more, I love this older piece for the unique Orient design.

a hand change with lumed alpha hands, a long seconds hand with diamond tail and an alpha power reserve hand from another Orient model.
single domed sapphire
cross stitched band that echos the dial pattern

Love how shiny the hands are against the matt black dial

·
Registered
286 Posts
Orient Kamasu Green

Long Island bezel
lumed ceramic insert
Triton hand set
rubber strap from a Kanno

This config was not my original vision, a series of failed ideas and abandoned parts eventuated this rather lovely outcome.
It's now a more sporting look rather than the polished finish of the original.

1401 - 1420 of 1442 Posts