WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The school of Horology in Pennsylvania has made a video available to the public that talks about the superiority of the Orient in-house movement that of the popular ETA movement that is found in a lot of Swiss watches.
This video examines the winding systems of both Orients 46943 (Found in the cem6500 series popularly known as the Mako series) and the swiss movement eta 2892.a2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgwTnAlX2LU

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
It might demonstrate the simplicity of the orient's rotor and autowinding system, but keep in mind the ETA movement can be handwound and has a higher beatrate too, so the automatic rotor is just one aspect of a movement. Also note the channel the video is displayed - yep its OrientUSA. Not implying anything but I just don't want this to devolve into a $150 watch is superior to a $3000 watch thread, since many other factors come into play.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Interesting. Will take a look. Haven't watched the video yet, but doesn't the Orient movement also lack hack?
Yeah that too. I just wanted people to keep in mind that the review only covered the autowinding mechanism and nothing else.

The orient website has a post about this that makes it seem like the orient movement is superior in everyway to the ETA movement, which I think is a bit of marketing fluff.

I own an OS300 and think its a wonderful watch, but if someone said would you rather make it a high beat, hacking, hand-windable movement, I would probably say yes.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yeah, this was discussed earlier. All they concluded was that Orient's simple winding system seems to be more efficient in winding the mainspring than the ETA's.

I'd take the ETA movement any day. Not even a real competition, IMO. The hacking and handwinding are huge for me.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Yeah, this was discussed earlier. All they concluded was that Orient's simple winding system seems to be more efficient in winding the mainspring than the ETA's.

I'd take the ETA movement any day. Not even a real competition, IMO. The hacking and handwinding are huge for me.
My new Orient dual time CDH00002B has the newly developed caliber 48K40 movement that hacks but still does not hand wind. Quite frankly, I have not missed the hand wind capability at all:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Glad you enjoy your watch, Minidriver. REgarding handwinding... just curious, do you hanve a watch that handwinds? I have several, and I wish all my watches had that capability. I don't care about hacking so much anymore, but handwinding is extremely useful. I rotate several watches, and if I go more than 1 day without wearing one, it'll stop. A good wind will keep it in play. I'd rather not spend 10 minutes shaking the watch to do the same thing.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Glad you enjoy your watch, Minidriver. REgarding handwinding... just curious, do you hanve a watch that handwinds? I have several, and I wish all my watches had that capability. I don't care about hacking so much anymore, but handwinding is extremely useful. I rotate several watches, and if I go more than 1 day without wearing one, it'll stop. A good wind will keep it in play. I'd rather not spend 10 minutes shaking the watch to do the same thing.
None of them do:-d My experience with mechanical watches is limited to Orients and I am very pleased with the winding efficiency of their movements. Even pulling out the crown all the way to the second click stop and start setting the time, gets the movement in motion even after several days of non-use. I don't have to shake the watch for 10 minutes just to get it moving. In about 3-4 hours is all it takes for them to reach 25-30 hours worth of charge in the spring.

Personally, I find hacking more desirable.

I guess it al comes down to personal preference and what you are really used to.;-)

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
It would really bug me to have a watch that cannot hack. That's a deal breaker for me.
When you have a movement rated at -25/+15 secs per day, may be, just may be is not all that earth shattering.:think:

My Orient movement beat those factory specs. However, it is a nice feature to have nevertheless.;-)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
My new Orient dual time CDH00002B has the newly developed caliber 48K40 movement that hacks but still does not hand wind. Quite frankly, I have not missed the hand wind capability at all:
I like a lot of Orient's watches, particularly some of the $50 automatics that use the same movement as the Mako. Thing is, they wouldn't be my "primary" watch- my Breitling has that honor.
I don't have a watch winder, so it would lay unwound. What I would want to be able to do would be to pick it up and have it running in 30sec, like I can do with a 2824.
Since Orients are so inexpensive, this wouldn't particularly bother me, but I always like to have hand winding.

·
Registered
899 Posts
okay, now let me see here... uh.
we have, 1, 2, 3, uh, 4... hold on, let me get these screws off.

now there are THREE screws.
wow, that's a lot of parts.

okay, we have, 1, 2, 3... THREE! HA HA HA HA HA! THREE WHINEY BABY SCHOOL OF HOROLOGY BABIES!

you know. like the Count from Sesame Street?

If i knew those guys in person, i would totally rip on them for that video. If the orient winder is anything like the Seiko, and it LOOKS just like it, then I don't like it. WAY too slow to wind it up from a dead stop.

oh my doG. what a horrible video.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If the Orient winder is anything like the Seiko, and it LOOKS just like it, then I don't like it. WAY too slow to wind it up from a dead stop.
I have no idea how long it takes to wind fully. But I have a couple of Orients with that movement. If I have left it sitting for a week or two, it is no problem to bring back to life. It starts ticking as soon as starting turning the crown to set the time. Or it starts ticking when I pick it up, before I can even set the time. I set the time, put it on, and it just works.
Mike.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have no idea how long it takes to wind fully. But I have a couple of Orients with that movement. If I have left it sitting for a week or two, it is no problem to bring back to life. It starts ticking as soon as starting turning the crown to set the time. Or it starts ticking when I pick it up, before I can even set the time. I set the time, put it on, and it just works.
Mike.

see, that's what i'm talking about. that would be awesome. my alphas are like that too. but that stupid seiko i just cleaned up and got going (it need a stem too) take FOREVER to start. i can't wind it obviously, but it takes about 5 minutes of shaking to get about 1 minute of life out of it. and it doesn't need a mainspring cuz once it's going it stays going for a good day and a half. stupid non windable watch. :)

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
see, that's what i'm talking about. that would be awesome. my alphas are like that too. but that stupid seiko i just cleaned up and got going (it need a stem too) take FOREVER to start. i can't wind it obviously, but it takes about 5 minutes of shaking to get about 1 minute of life out of it. and it doesn't need a mainspring cuz once it's going it stays going for a good day and a half. stupid non windable watch. :)
Well, something is wrong with your Seiko. I've never had a Seiko (and I've got ones that go back to the first model with the Magic Lever System) that takes anything more than slight movement to bring it to life. I found my father's Seiko 7005 series in the attic after 20-25 years (of abuse in the heat and cold) and it started up while in the box because I had moved it to bring it down. No, hand winding is nice if you want full amplitude immediately from your movement but Seiko's Magic Lever is VERY efficient in winding the watch.

Reactions: Chicawolverina

·
Registered
899 Posts
hmmm. that might be why i found it in an old watchmakers bench with no home to call it's own.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Something is wrong with that Seiko. I have a Seiko 5 automatic and a Seiko Samurai diver. But start running again as soon as I set the time.

Mike.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm not sure which movement is better, but I really don't see the need to handwind an automatic....

Your watch has stopped.
You pick it up and give it two or three gentle side-to-side shakes.
You set the time.
You strap the watch to your wrist and off you go.
No worries and no need for handwinding.

I suppose hacking is nice if you like to synchronize your watch with another person's watch.
But when dealing with mechanical watches, it's silly to worry about a few seconds here or there....after all, the mechanical watch will probably be several minutes off by the end of the month (unless you constantly reset it).

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm not sure which movement is better, but I really don't see the need to handwind an automatic....

Your watch has stopped.
You pick it up and give it two or three gentle side-to-side shakes.
You set the time.
You strap the watch to your wrist and off you go.
No worries and no need for handwinding.

I suppose hacking is nice if you like to synchronize your watch with another person's watch.
But when dealing with mechanical watches, it's silly to worry about a few seconds here or there....after all, the mechanical watch will probably be several minutes off by the end of the month (unless you constantly reset it).
That's why I love autos. I don't get in to hacking, winding or worrying about a few seconds/minutes each month. I love the mechanics, toughness, and ease of just a quick shake and great reliability without worrying about anything else.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts