WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, at the risk of sounding dumb, how in the heck does this calendar thing work? Take it slow and thorough with me because I feel very unintelligent right now...;-)

DSC04719.jpg

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
:-s..:-s..Yeah, inquiring minds want to know....:-d

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Then, they throw in a date window to really blow my mind...that's STILL needed??? LOL...

Edit: Wait....I just got something, because its the 20th, I see that it has to be a Sunday (this month, at least).

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, that is pretty neat, thanks!! The last line is interesting: "You can set the calendar without referring to an actual calendar up to year 2024. After 2024, you will need to refer to an actual calendar when setting the watch. Watch is never obsolete."

·
Registered
604 Posts
OK, at the risk of sounding dumb, how in the heck does this calendar thing work? Take it slow and thorough with me because I feel very unintelligent right now...;-)

View attachment 1635711
OK,Well:
The little hand is pointing to Mon and number 7; so it's Monday the 7th.
The big hand is kind of pointing to the 8 (I think it needs re-seating ?!) so that must be August.
The 20 in the window is the first part of the year and the thin hand is pointing to the 2 which would be 14 on a 24 hour cycle; so that means it's the year 2014.
Easy really, it's Monday 7th August 2014 :)

What time is it ?...... Erm, hang on, where's my mobile/cell phone !!!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The pusher at two o'clock is like a slot machine arm that generates winning lottery numbers. Press it, and the dial will show you the month and day of week on which you should play the numbers. Genius.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,616 Posts
Then, they throw in a date window to really blow my mind...that's STILL needed??? LOL...

Edit: Wait....I just got something, because its the 20th, I see that it has to be a Sunday (this month, at least).
The manual perpetual calendar found on retro Orient watches has fascinated me for years. I think it would be fun to own such a watch although I would probably go batty and cross-eyed trying to read it! I think Raketa has produce something similar.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I guess the table on top shows you for which year and month the month/day calendar at the bottom is valid. For example, the month calendar is valid for January and October 2013 on the far left side. To get the month calendars in 2014 you will need to rotate the disc with the years to make 14 visible and move it to the desired month.

·
Registered
8 Posts

wait.....:think:i think this goes to anywatch especially mechanical watch. why take so much trouble just to have timepiece when the quartz is much cheaper. the same goes to this calendarb-)

i personally like that orient well, the fact about mechanical watch bugs me, but, i kinda agree parts of it. and, that's why i like it:-d

first i was confused:roll: about which one is better quartz or mechanic. it's of course quartz. but, mechanic, reminds you of old times. feels as if those automatic owners in the past, the class, status.:-!

so when i imagine, myself, as one of those watch owner in the past. i would prefer this watch.|>

·
Registered
313 Posts
wait.....:think:i think this goes to anywatch especially mechanical watch. why take so much trouble just to have timepiece when the quartz is much cheaper. the same goes to this calendarb-)

When the multi-year calendar was released by Orient(50+ years ago) there were no quartz watches. Not to say quartz watches with multi-year function.

In my home country(Bulgaria) this was one of the most popular watches during the Communist times -every lorry(international shippings) driver/sailor was buying one of these on their first trip abroad...and funny story you still have these buggers running just fine. I personally know 5 or even more people having Orients Multi-Years that still use the watch every day and they got them in the 80s.

BTW the one on the photo is without a day, they also have day-date versions

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is good through 2024. Has Orient issued a new watch that goes out further on the years?

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I have a similar model, not sure how far out they go. the easiest way to set the calendar is to line up the year with the month your in, it will show the date on the lower section. Plus the date window can be set to match. Welcome to the department of redundancy department!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts