WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered the Orient Pocket watch.... I've never owned a pocket watch but with the features this one offered and the beautiful face how could I resist? lol

The watch arrived today, well packaged and in a nice Orient box, perhaps nicer than the old style black/aluminum boxes.

Open the box and BAM, the first thing you notice are the blue (almost purple) hands. While I doubt these are furnace blued, as they are too glossy, the blue really pops on the off white dial. The texturing is also very well done as it looks very intricate. The little silver stud hour markers are applied and are actually elevated from the dial which looks great. The power reserve dial is also done well and about 20-25 winds will get you near 40 hours of reserve. The movement decoration cannot keep up with the beauty of the face, but again, at $200ish I can't expect the world. It's got a decent finish but with most of the movement under a plate, there really isn't much to see back there. A nice touch was dual sapphire which only makes sense but I'm sure there are companies that do front sapphire only. Accuracy has yet to be tested but if Orient maintains its track record, it should be excellent as AFAIK, this is a newly developed movement, most likely a mid-range auto minus the rotor assembly. One thing I notice is the flared spoke balance wheels which is another nice touch and in ETA world, is only included in Top/Chronometre spec IIRC. Overall, the watch has some heft, being heavier than I expected but not a rock by any means. The crown winds easily and slowly gets more resistence as you near full PR, pulling out the crown gets you a nice solid click, no play in the stem, just an overall solid feel in the winding/setting mechanisms.

I don't do scores but I'd have to give Orient an A on their first pocket watch attempt. You get mid/mid-high range features at an entry level price. Dual sapphires, nice solid SS, intricate dial, mid range movement. The only thing I'd improve upon would be finishing the movement a little more nicely as the rest of the watch is so refined, the movement looks rough in comparison. I can't wait to stick it in my pocket tomorrow for work. Here are some pics. Thumbs up Orient.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Your pictures look great and offer a bit more detail than what I have seen on the net. I've been giving this Orient some consideration. I need a pocket watch for the summer months when it hits 110+ F. It's just too hot to wear a wristwatch then. Would you mind following up with an accuracy report? I would expect similar to their wrist watches.

Hard to imagine that railroad specs last century could not vary more than 30 seconds A WEEK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts