WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Orient Power Reserve model CEX0P001B

I just received this watch yesterday (8/7/09) so I haven’t had a chance to draw any long-term conclusions. However, it’s one that won me over from the moment I first saw it. I’m going to keep this review brief because of my short history with the watch, and because I’m not an expert by any definition. You can draw your own conclusions about the watch’s aesthetic qualities based on the photos.

Here’s the technical info that’s posted on Orient’s Web site:

Band: Genuine Leather
Power Reserve: Power Reserve Indicator
Crystal: Mineral Crystal
Movement: Orient\'s 21 Jewel Self Winding Mechanical Movement.
Clasp: Deployment Clasp With Buckle
Case Measurement: 42mm

I measured the width with the crown at 43mm and the thickness at 12mm. I don’t know what the movement caliber is, though. Maybe someone here can provide that.

This watch is very comfortable on my 7-in.-dia. wrist, and I’m confident that it would look and feel good on almost anyone’s wrist. Because of its slim profile and leather band, it feels as light as a feather compared to a Mako, for instance. According to my postal scale, it weighs about 3 oz. Clearly, this is a refined dress watch.

The case is beautifully finished with a pleasing combination of finely brushed and highly polished surfaces. The watch’s design and execution are nearly perfect -- there’s not a rough edge or clumsy design element. Notice in the photo below how the Orient logo on the crown is crisply engraved.

The slightly domed crystal complements the flowing lines of the watch without being obtrusive. And there’s no problem with reflection when viewing the face from almost any angle. The edge of the crystal flows directly into the brushed and polished bezel, which reinforces the watch’s integrated design.

Although Orient says the face is black, it’s really charcoal gray. I find that it’s pleasing to look at and enhances the appearance of the face details (of which there are many). I think the power reserve feature on the dial is a great practical feature and a welcome aesthetic addition. The tachymeter scale looks nice and might be a useful feature for some.

It’s too early to tell about accuracy, but for now it seems to be running about +3 seconds a day. My limited experience with Orient watches in this regard has been very positive.

Perhaps the least impressive part of this watch is its strap. Not that’s it’s bad – in fact, it’s very good for this price – but there are better leather straps out there. The clasp snaps shut, which isn’t terribly secure --but after all, this is a dress watch, so it’s not meant for scuba diving or playing tennis. It’s a nicely made and attractive clasp, though. The leather is a pretty bright pumpkin color, but it gives the watch a little attitude and it should mellow with age.

Lume is, well, weak but nicely done. Again, no extreme sports, such as spelunking for this watch.

Finally, would I buy this watch if I had to do it again? I’m finding it difficult to resist buying the other two iterations (white face, and blue face with a blue strap). I think this one is a home run. To mix metaphors, I give it a 9.5 out of 10.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Great write-up very nice shots and a great looking watch. It's just incredible to me that Orient has these kinds of pieces for these kinds of prices! Thanks for the time :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jbdan, thanks for the kind words. I agree that Orient delivers a lot of bang for the buck, and its watches can be addictive. Your excellent review of the Orient Star Retro Future camera watch pushed me over the edge on that one -- it's due here tomorrow. I think I'm going to have to hold you personally responsible. ;-)

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Haha maybe Orient could give me a percentage, a little kick-back fee, for the watches I sell off of reviews! :-d

Did you go with the back or white dial? or neither? There are about 6 variants of that model!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm getting the black-dial version directly from Orient. (I took advantage of last week's discount.) My wife has been buying garden plants on sale in retaliation, so it's time for us to have a short-lived truce.

Maybe Orient should consider an Internet version of Tupperware or Mary-Kay to reward referrals -- but I hope not. :-d

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
LOL :-d

Share some shots when you receive |>

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently picked up the same watch in blue but find the matching blue leather band to be a little too loud for my taste. Anyone here have any idea on whether is there a steel brcelet from Orient that'll fit this watch? I'm pretty sure it won't take the normal curved end-links as the case isn't very curved at the lug area. Perhaps a 20mm bracelet from one of the tonneau cases may fit?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Nice review and picks, it would be nice to see a few on the wrist .

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but does anyone have any exact details on diameter? I know it says 42mm in the review, but I've hard conflicting reports on this. I'm looking for a case size w/o crown. I have a 6.75" wrist and have difficulty wearing things much larger than 40mm.

Thanks!
~Ross

·
Registered
448 Posts
Foxglove, I have the white dial version of this watch and probably have about a 7 inch wrist. It's very comfortable on the wrist.

It's also incredibly accurate. Using a little positional variance at night I can keep it in the + single digits for weeks and months at a time. You can look up my posts and contributions to threads on the subject.

It's a nice dressy watch that looks like a Hamilton Viewmatic but also has its own style. I'm very happy I bought it for $112 back in December!

I also read this review and then bought the watch shortly thereafter. It's a great review and the close-up shots are quite helpful.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hate to say this, but that watch is discontinued. The only dial variation we have remaining in stock is the CEX0P002D.

@LARRY50 - those pictures were amazing! Great Job!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone, I know it's a bit late too the party, but I just purchased a CEX0P001B from Watches88 (they still have them in stock - or maybe it's the last one). Larry50's photo's and review convinced me on this one. This is my first Orient watch and it has all the classic hallmarks of the brand - power reserve indicator & in-house automatic movement for a bargain price. Can't wait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just received my Orient. It certainly is a fantastic watch for the money. I am impressed with the quality of the leather band, the colour is mid brown not the bright pumpkin finish normally seen in photo's (must have changed it in later production). Anyway it's a beauty, very happy.
P.S. I highly recommend Louis Yap & Watches88.com. The transaction process and 2 day shipping by fedex went smoothly and the package arrived in mint condition (and needless to say 'factory fresh stock')

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although the case measures 42mm across 3-9, it looks kinda small on the wrist. Think it's because of the slim case. To me, the strap, both color and quality is kind of a letdown compared to the other Orient leather straps I have. It's too thin and tapers down too narrow, imo. The strap heads are curved and custom to fit the case which is a plus. I didn't like the butterfly deployment claps - quite cumbersome to put on and take off the watch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but if anyone has this watch lying around and would be willing to consider selling, let me know! Can't find it new anywhere, which makes sense at this point.

w-ore-cex0p001b0-1.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts