WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to watches in general and I just purchased an Orient Ray so forgive me if the answer to my question is obvious.
My question is that I noticed the day indicator on my watch doesn't change around midnight but the date does. If I pull the crown out to adjust the time, the day doesn't
actually change until after 1am. Is this standard for this watch or am I looking at a problem with my watch?

If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have 2 Orients and will try to remember to check them.
However, if it really bothers you (I'm not awake to see it change personally) any watch smith can simply remove and re-install the hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I have 2 Orients and will try to remember to check them.
However, if it really bothers you (I'm not awake to see it change personally) any watch smith can simply remove and re-install the hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On these movements the date changes at 12 and the day somewhere around 1.. So it is normal for this watch.. Re-instaling the hands would not 'fix' what is being seen..

·
Registered
445 Posts
On these movements the date changes at 12 and the day somewhere around 1.. So it is normal for this watch.. Re-instaling the hands would not 'fix' what is being seen..
Indeed. First the date changes, then the day (which can take a while to go through the different languages as well). It's perfectly normal.

With some movements it's pretty much instant at midnight, but with Orient and for example some Seiko movements it takes a few hours. Nothing wrong at all, just the way the movement works.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for asking this question and thanks for the answers, I have one of these in the mail and I probably would have worried about the same thing!

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Indeed. First the date changes, then the day (which can take a while to go through the different languages as well). It's perfectly normal.

With some movements it's pretty much instant at midnight, but with Orient and for example some Seiko movements it takes a few hours. Nothing wrong at all, just the way the movement works.

However, on this vintage Orient the day and date 'snap' instantly on midnight..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just watched a few OrientwatchUSA youtube videos on the Ray... I think they show date changing around 12, then the day changes to Spanish at about 1, and then by about 3am it should be the proper (ie the next) day in English. Or if you're using Spanish the day will go EN then back to Spanish. Sort of annoying, and I was wondering if this extra complication causes extra strain in the movement, but I guess a bilingual watch makes sense.

ALSO, I learned recently that to be safe you shouldn't change the day or date on any mechanical watch between 7pm and 3am, as this is when the mechanisms are engaged and are therefore most vulnerable to strain or wear. Not sure if this is universal, I haven't looked into it, but it makes some sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts