WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm new to watches and recently picked up a blue mako to start my collection. Without hesitation I absolutely love the watch!

I'm aware it's a good watch that should last a while, but I was wondering how durable is this sucker. I sometimes find myself on a construction site for work and am wondering if I should just leave the watch at home on certain days... Timex used to say they could take a licken and keep on ticken...

Does anyone here have experience giving their orient some abuse? How'd it hold up? What model? What was the abuse? White water rafting? Mudding? Yard work in the dirt? Just playing with kids in the lake? I'd appreciate any stories and experiences putting your orient through the ringer and how it did ( or did not do). I love a good pic too. Thanks!

Reactions: Ponder

·
Registered
299 Posts
While a very nice watch it's is a bit of a sissy. I dropped mine from about 3 feet into a sand (with some small pebbles in it). The result isn't very encouraging:
- 3 or 4 easy noticable dents on the glass
- 2 scratches on the bezel
The mechanism seems to be 100% fine though.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Keep in mind that a mechanical watch is not build to take "abuse"...

·
Registered
445 Posts
No mechanical watch is really suited for rough environments. That's all quartz/digital territory.

If you are looking for the most suitable option in Orient's arsenal, I can recommend the M-Force models: M-FORCE | ORIENT Automatic
Just be sure that regardless of the movement, you go for sapphire glass (mineral glass tends to scratch relatively easily).

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.. I was really just curious about how much durability this mako really has and figured the best way to find out would be to ask for some stories. I guess I'll play it safe and get a quartz beater for field days on the job.... Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
Like AW says, no mechanical watch is really designed to take rough treatment though the Mako has a good reputation and the M Force is even better. However, something like a G Shock takes some bettering when it comes to ruggedness.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I think it's fine for any affordable watch that you use daily to develop a bit of a beaten up look. It adds character especially for a tool / dive watch.

So the Mako ticks all of those boxes.

My son has a cheap-ish quartz watch and he managed to get the second hand to just fall off. I'm pretty confident that this doesn't happen with any Orient automatic, when subjected to some abuse.

And with the cheapish quartz I'd just throw it away. Any automatic, no matter how cheap or second hand I get repaired when it breaks or needs service.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Came up with me for four days in the mountains and made it down just fine.

Granted, mines a Ray, but they're essentially the same.

·
Banned
3,937 Posts
Thanks guys.. I was really just curious about how much durability this mako really has and figured the best way to find out would be to ask for some stories. I guess I'll play it safe and get a quartz beater for field days on the job.... Thanks again!

GShock all the way for days youre on site. I used to not care much for G's, but picked one up for the gym/outside work, etc... and started to really like them. I use my GDF100 for the activities I just mentioned.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know its old, but I must reply;

I've had my Ray Raven (black case, dial and bracelet) forr about 5 months now. At first I was carefull with it because it was my first auto. Since then I have bought two M-Force models and so now the Ray is my work/beater. I work on construction sites, in elecrical and low-voltage trades. I wear my Ray every day to work (zulu strap on it though) and it has not only held up well, ....lite scratches on the case, banged against walls and metal enclosures, lots of dust, hammering/beating wrist action, water/rain....but it was running +10 s/d new and now it tracks with GPS time averaging -0.5 s/d.
In fact, the only issue I have noticed is that it is susceptible to magnatism. It has not caused any issue with accuracy, but after working around magnets I can put it near a compass and it will deflect it about 45 deg.
This watch has not been through actual military combat or jackhammering or a rodeo or rescue diving, but it impresses me as to its ruggedness every day.
And at $150, I will just get a new one in a couple years if i do end up pushing it too far.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I'm not so sure mechanical watches are that delicate. I have had a manual wind Timex for around 35 years. For the first 20 or so years I wore it everyday. To work, at home, camping, fishing. I once slipped and went rolling down a steep hill. The bracelet broke, but the watch was still working fine. I still wear it occasionally on a Bund strap since it is only 34 mm in size. The thing still runs perfectly. Never had it serviced either. I don't know how many times it's been dropped or run into door frames. The plexiglass crystal polishes out with a little Brasso and looks as good as new.
I also have an auto Invicta Dive watch that has suffered a lot of abuse, and it still works just fine. I think mechanical watches, while not quite as hardy as quartz, still hold up relatively well, doing what most people do on a daily basis.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Hey, sorry so late to the thread. I believe all of the things mentioned in the OP would be no problem at all for the Mako. They are well built and durable watches. Anything with high impact (like shooting, for example, although many people would use an auto like the Mako for that as well), I usually wear my one and only quartz.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts