WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking for a good watchmaker to repair an Orient King Diver that is running intermittently. I had sent it out to a well known watchmaker (twice) and it came back no better than when I sent it out. O|

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Griff

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found the problem, the watchmaker overtightened the case back, a piece of the gasket was interfering with the winding rotor. Now I just need to get a new gasket.

Unbelievable...O|

Cheers,
Griff

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Griff - Great Sleuthing! Over tightened screws and case backs can cause havoc in watches. Welcome to a day in the life...
Thank you Henry!
Now I just need to find the right gasket, it must have ripped when it was tightened because it was in 2 pieces. I know silicone grease is used when replacing gaskets, how is it applied? The watch was originally rated for 50m, I would like to make sure the gasket is installed correctly. The problem with the watch originally was rust, I would like to avoid that repair cost in the future!

I have to take some courses... :)

Best regards,
Griff

·
Registered
721 Posts
Griff,

Before the gasket make sure all rust is gone! Any dirt or old grease should be removed to obtain a proper seal.

The right gasket is important. If you cannot obtain an original gasket you may have to take some measurements form the old one and the case to get the best fit.

Gaskets can be lubricated with silicone grease, there are others but silicone grease is fine in this application. It is usually applied by a tool that is basically 2 sponges loaded with silicone inside a plastic container. The gasket is put between the and the container covers are gently turned and pressed to apply the grease. Most material supply houses have them for reasonable cost. If you are only doing one gasket application by hand is fine. Preferably with protective gloves to avoid the introduction of acids and oils from our skin. A light even film is all it takes - if you see a glob it is too much. be aware that silicone grease gets on everything and spreads well so be careful in application and reinstalling your gasket. It's heck to remove.

To avoid water resistance issues, watches that are used in or near water should be checked 2x/yr. It is the only way to assure the watch is still resistant to the rating measured. Never wear your watch in the shower - and frankly avoid swimming in it unless necessary. Temperature changes cause just as much trouble.

I have got an article on my web page on water resistance if your interested in more details.

let us know how you make out -

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankfully there is no rust, the watchmaker did definitely clean the movement. Except for a little bit of pitting on the rotor it looks very clean.

I will borrow a micrometer from a friend to check the gasket thickness, it is an O ring style, quick measurement indicates 27mm diameter but I will measure it better after I am done regulating the movement.

Thank you for the help with the grease, I appreciate it!!!! :-!

Sincerely,
Griff

·
Registered
721 Posts
Griff

Pitting is a fact of life - as long as the pitting agent is removed you stall it where it is. Nothing else to do.

O ring gaskets types are easier to find. If you use a micrometer watch out as you can crush it and not get a proper measurement (my machinist days talking here) When you measure feel for a slight tug pulling the gasket through the anvils of the micrometer or caliper. The OD is tough to measure for the uninitiated, measure it and compare against the case groove to help "round off" the measurement.

Glad to help let us know how you make out.

·
Affordables Moderator
17,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you again for the advice, I appreciate it! :-!

I am wearing the King Diver now, after 2 days I have gotten it regulated to about -5 sec/day, seems pretty consistent too. :) I will see my friend later today, get some measurements and off to order the gasket and grease.

Cheers,
Griff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts