WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm curious about something now... For those that purchased the earlier release, do you have the ability to choose an alternate vintage style day with the number next to it? As in Mon1, Wed3, etc.
I saw a review somewhere that clearly showed this as feature.
Mine (later release through OUSA) does not have this.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
I have the Japanese domestic issue which has the alternate day display English/Japanese. The English display does not use numbers after the day.

On Yeomans blog it shows the watch with the digits after the English day
http://yeomanseiko.wordpress.com/2011/10/31/orient-cal-469-40th-anniversary-commemorative-watch/

H
e says "You can choose to display the day in the standard English language format ("MON", "TUE", "WED" etc) or an alternative format found on vintage Orient watches ("MON1″, "TUE2″…"SAT6″ and "SUN*", etc)."

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have the Japanese domestic issue which has the alternate day display English/Japanese. The English display does not use numbers after the day.

On Yeomans blog it shows the watch with the digits after the English day
http://yeomanseiko.wordpress.com/2011/10/31/orient-cal-469-40th-anniversary-commemorative-watch/

H
e says "You can choose to display the day in the standard English language format ("MON", "TUE", "WED" etc) or an alternative format found on vintage Orient watches ("MON1″, "TUE2″…"SAT6″ and "SUN*", etc)."
saw this in one of the comments to the review...

Japan: Eng/Kanji
Singapore: Eng/Eng + Arabic numeral
USA: Eng/Spanish

... the Cal 469 is now in stock again at OrientUSA but w MSRP of USD740!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Guys, I have rcently entered the Orient fan club by buying a Blue Mako that comes with a rubber strap from Amazon. I have been oscillating in buying another Orient and have been considering this 40th anniversary edition. Its been sold on Amazon Long Island watch for around $279 including shipping. The OrientUSA have also listed at almost same price. Please can you advice if it is worth buying at this price. Thanks, appreciate the help.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi Guys, I have rcently entered the Orient fan club by buying a Blue Mako that comes with a rubber strap from Amazon. I have been oscillating in buying another Orient and have been considering this 40th anniversary edition. Its been sold on Amazon Long Island watch for around $279 including shipping. The OrientUSA have also listed at almost same price. Please can you advice if it is worth buying at this price. Thanks, appreciate the help.
Sorry I didn´t get better price

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
someone mentioned that he bought this watch originally intending for investment purpose. i understand this is a limited edition but does it have any investment value? i thought appreciation only happens to rolex and PP. although japanese mechanical watches are up there in terms of quality, i am skeptical on how this limited edition can appreciate in value over time?

i am thinking about getting this watch for dad on long island. either this or the cheaper cosmo. any advice please?

·
Registered
760 Posts
someone mentioned that he bought this watch originally intending for investment purpose. i understand this is a limited edition but does it have any investment value? i thought appreciation only happens to rolex and PP. although japanese mechanical watches are up there in terms of quality, i am skeptical on how this limited edition can appreciate in value over time?

i am thinking about getting this watch for dad on long island. either this or the cheaper cosmo. any advice please?
It's never a good idea buying a watch of any kind for an investment. There are a few companies that make watches that can keep their value, like Patek and Rolex, but this is mainly due to these companies making essentially the same watches for many years and the inevitable price increases for new stock.

Regarding this particular Orient, I really don't see this increasing much in value, not with a "limited edition" of over three thousand pieces. Perhaps collectors who bought the JDM models with the special packaging, had they tucked the watch away in a safe for five or ten years, might get something of a return on them. Also, this watch is still available for sale in the US at Islandwatch for, I think, around $270. The price has dipped up and down pretty wildly, and this makes me think that it won't become some sort of special collector's item in the future.

The best thing to do is buy the watch you like and can afford, wear it, enjoy it, and leave the investment thing to your 401(k) manager.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.