1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Hmm..I am afraid it's a redail...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
There are so-called NOS case ensembles going around with dials exactly like the one you posted and with variations of the 14902 SC 61 and 14900 SC 61 case backs. I would get some close-ups as the dial surround doesnt look bevelled - one of the signs that the dial is not authentic. A stock of these dials was offloaded to a number of clearing houses when a supplier went belly up a year or so ago and theyre not the real thing.

Check the movement serial number against omega on-line records and get some very good close-ups of the movement is my suggestion.

Regards

desmond

In my hunt for a original connie, I've come accross this for sale... It's a 1962 cal. 561, advice needed from people as to whether it's a redial or original. Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
There are so-called NOS case ensembles going around with dials exactly like the one you posted and with variations of the 14902 SC 61 and 14900 SC 61 case backs. I would get some close-ups as the dial surround doesnt look bevelled - one of the signs that the dial is not authentic. A stock of these dials was offloaded to a number of clearing houses when a supplier went belly up a year or so ago and theyre not the real thing.

Check the movement serial number against omega on-line records and get some very good close-ups of the movement is my suggestion.

Regards

desmond
100% redial

Desmond
Do actually mean that the NOS Omega Connie parts that has been on Ebay is fake.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for help guys becoming very good at spotting the non-genuine ones now...Anyone have an answer to Per K question, are NOS cases fakes?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Indeedie I do :)

The dials are not omega dials but reconstructs or constructs.

The cases are suspect too. Dozens and dozens of 14900 sc 62s 40 years after production?

I heard form one source that you can get a hundred cases made in Vietnam of whatever case you want - theyre infamous for this (I know Ibought some beauties in Ho CHi Minh City in the 90s )

The guy who is flogging these, Jensen Dinh is a cockroach of the first order. Is also selling, let me say, suspect, Rolexes, Pateks that have been married to new cases etc.

See my post on Jensen Dinh on my blog - very interesting Vietnamese trader :) You'll see a pic of his house in Arizona - we call it the Dinh of Inequity :)))

100% redial

Desmond
Do actually mean that the NOS Omega Connie parts that has been on Ebay is fake.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
It's interesting to compare this Connie with the one I just bought. The dial on mine is original (even with some miniscule blemishes) and the differences in the dials is significant:

I do not have a good photo of the inside of the caseback but mine clearly shows it to be a 168.005 and the movement number dates it as early 1963.

All of this is confirmed by Omega vintage.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
223 Posts
In my hunt for a original connie, I've come accross this for sale... It's a 1962 cal. 561, advice needed from people as to whether it's a redial or original. Thanks
I am suspiscious of the dial; the text ("Constellation"); the date surround; and the cross-hair don't agree with me.

Compare the text in your photos with the text on other Constellations and see if you can see what I mean. It looks totally different.

As Desomond suggests, a closer photo would certainly help when making this sort of diagnosis.

The date surround appears flat, as opposed to bevelled as it should be.

The cross-hair, given the other visual features of the dial does not look original. The minute markers look a little suspect too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.