WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm hunting for the original Oris divers watch that inspired the sixty five re-edition.
I'm having a hard time finding it, does anyone know the reference number of that watch? It wasn't just called the 1965 was it?

This is the watch I'm talking about:
Original-Oris-1965-Diver-vintage.jpg

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
Up until eighteen months ago, very, very few people knew of the existence of the watch that the Diver SixtyFive was based on. I would be quite certain that the 1960s original would have had a reference number known only to those at the Oris factory.
It was probably known or marketed as the Oris Diver or something.
Wristwatch marketing was not the slickly-oiled machine back then that it is now.

If I were searching for the original, I'd be Googling search terms like "vintage Oris dive watch" in the hopes that maybe a second-hand dealer or vintage watch collector might list one for sale with all the relevant information.
But before doing that, I would e-mail Oris HQ in Switzerland and see if I got a response from them.
Worth a shot.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! That's what I suspected. Either it's very rare or I have no idea what I'm searching for, guess it's the former.
I will keep hunting (that's part of the fun though, right!)
But I will give Oris HQ a shout as well to see what they know.

Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice!! Did you pick it up from eBay? I had my eye on that but missed it :) Congrats, it looks awesome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts